Grim Reaper

John Nash

Guest awesome guest

That happened to me once when I was on Larry hagmans Wikipedia page and I was shocked

That happened to me once when I was on Larry hagmans Wikipedia page and I was shocked

Oh FFS why? How many pages have you looked at where no one has died? (there's an obvious line in here which I'm not going to use as feeling generous and it is a Sunday).

Shame I can't look you up on Wikipedia.

• Like 6

A Wikipedia page can easily be created ....

I remember we watched the film about him in math class a year ago or something.

I wrote to my mates about his death and we're going to ask our teacher to watch it again.

You should watch it again too, RadGuy!

Seriously, a very sad loss for no good reason- his eccentricity was truly a beautiful and unique thing- such an interesting person

• Like 1

What a great call. Qudos to the committee.

• Like 1

Wow I JUST did a Nash update search four hours ago!

SC

Coincidentally, I did a King Abdullah update search (for the first time in forever) in the evening of 22 January and found out he died on the morning of 23 January.

Eerie. People fascinated by death, search for people who could die and find out just after that they died. There must be meaning in the world after all.... where did I put that Bible?

Only time that happened to me is I was one day in 2007 just randomly looking up Yvonne Decarlo (Lily Munster) on Wikipedia and I refreshed the page for some reason and all of a sudden there was a death date. It was like woah thats a bit creepy she wasn't dead when I opened the article, but she was dead a couple minutes later.

Funny thing was it was research on a few names that I saw no health reason for their inclusion and was looking at 2016, just to get a handle; including Reagan, Berry, Dole, Lee....and Nash. Of course I found nothing and had nothing to add to any of them. A few hours later, BAM.

SC

A Wikipedia page can easily be created ....

And there goes the obvious line. Tee up, knock in...

Is that the first unnatural death in DL history? Kudos to the selection committee, regardless.

Yes, definitely the first unnatural causes death in DL history :o

A beautiful mind, but not quite calculating enough to work out the probability of dying in a car crash when going without a seatbelt...

I once heard this anecdote about him: his main claim to fame and Nobel Prize was his concept of the Nash Equilibrium. It describes mathematically the behaviour of people in anticipation of the reaction of their opponents/competitors. After he had developed the concept, he tested it with the help of his secretaries, but they didn't behave as his theory predicted it, so he scolded them "You're doing it all wrong!" or something like that. It's funny because it reflects the frequent criticism made against economists that they do not pay enough attention to reality (And that, if theory and reality are in conflict, they prefer theory). So yeah, it confirms this impression of economists not quite living in reality, though Mr. Nash also had his own troubles with it.

People are saying this is the first un-natural death that's been a hit in the history of DeathList? Really?

What about Kenny Everett and the other AIDS victims. Is that really so natural?

The way it takes people out is so brutal it seems more akin to some biological weapon to me... (whether you wanna believe in conspiracies or not).

I think this is a bit of a stretch. Not as much as an Australian playing a genius, but still.

oi!

• Like 1

People are saying this is the first un-natural death that's been a hit in the history of DeathList? Really?

What about Kenny Everett and the other AIDS victims. Is that really so natural?

The way it takes people out is so brutal it seems more akin to some biological weapon to me... (whether you wanna believe in conspiracies or not).

I think this is a bit of a stretch. Not as much as an Australian playing a genius, but still.

oi!

Yeah!, we can play geniuses perfectly well thank you very much...

• Like 1

I hadn't even noticed that he was on this year's list.

Guest Guest

Andrea De Cesaris, Saddam Hussein etc ..so , no, he's not the first un natural death of a deathlist name

Not the first un-natural death of a DeathList name, sure, but he is the first un-natural hit according to Grim Reaper.

yes that's right I can confirm. with one possible exception- Don Budges, who died in January 2000 of complications caused by a car crash a few weeks earlier

Fair play to whoever took the decision to include him.

I was one of the neigh sayers who thought that this was a dud pick like Jake Roberts.

I still think we are on track for double figures this year.

Guest awesome guest

I was one of the neigh sayers who thought that this was a dud pick like Jake Roberts.

and by this I think we should be smart and use maths to figure out who will die next. Let's see no one has died in the 20 -11 area on the list and a girl hasn't died that means Maureen O'Hara is next

The date of death is May 23rd but the DL has it as May 25th... (am I the only one who always points out things like this?)

and by this I think we should be smart and use maths to figure out who will die next. Let's see no one has died in the 20 -11 area on the list and a girl hasn't died that means Maureen O'Hara is next

Man, that's an absolute misuse of maths and probability theory, the "law of averages" doesn't exist, or at least not in the form reflected by your thinking. Of course, the fact that 4 men and 0 women died in the first 5 months of the year makes it slightly more likely than initially that a woman will be next. But since only 9 ladies made it to the list originally - as opposed to 41 gentlemen from which 37 are still living, the odds are still heavily against women.

Guest awesome guest

Man, that's an absolute misuse of maths and probability theory, the "law of averages" doesn't exist, or at least not in the form reflected by your thinking. Of course, the fact that 4 men and 0 women died in the first 5 months of the year makes it slightly more likely than initially that a woman will be next. But since only 9 ladies made it to the list originally - as opposed to 41 gentlemen from which 37 are still living, the odds are still heavily against women.
well I have a 1 in 45 chance of being right let's hope I get lucky

Guest Ziggy

What were the chances of that happening?

I hadn't even noticed that he was on this year's list.

Nor did I, otherwise I might have come up with a different pun!

Guest Blartman

So basically a fluke hit. Just like all the others the committee pick

So you think this was a fluke hit? Yeah, he died because his health was too robust so that he was able to move around and could be a victim of a car accident. If he had been frail and bedridden like Zsa Zsa, he might still have been alive.

All the others? Not really... Sam Simon had terminal cancer and it was clear that the chemo can only buy him a few more months. Nimoy had COPD, which is also incurable; King was old and a diabetic. So all of them could be considered good picks.

If you wanna criticize the committee, you might point out some glaring omissions like Pratchet (former DL candidate) or King Abdullah (clearly famous and gravely ill), but they can only list 50 names so idk.

So you think this was a fluke hit? Yeah, he died because his health was too robust so that he was able to move around and could be a victim of a car accident. If he had been frail and bedridden like Zsa Zsa, he might still have been alive.

All the others? Not really... Sam Simon had terminal cancer and it was clear that the chemo can only buy him a few more months. Nimoy had COPD, which is also incurable; King was old and a diabetic. So all of them could be considered good picks.

If you wanna criticize the committee, you might point out some glaring omissions like Pratchet (former DL candidate) or King Abdullah (clearly famous and gravely ill), but they can only list 50 names so idk.

God knows I've spoken my piece about the fifty names on the DL and most of it unflattering, but calling Nimoy-Simon-King fluke hits is daft. Perfectly valid deaths.

SC

Take 'em while you can get it, that's what I say...

• Like 1

While we're all still chipping in I will point out how ironic it is for a "genius" to die in New Jersey. (Americans DLers do not need informing of this, but it would have been good of them to point it out the lazy fucks)

Also happened to another slightly more famous genius.