Guest KateS

Margaret Thatcher

I'm going to be sooooo embarrassed if some one beats me to this (or if my arithmetic is wrong) but....

Margaret Thatcher 13/10/25 - 8/4/2013

Janet Brown - 14/12/23 - 27/5/2011

(for non uk readers Janet Brown is the most famous MT impersonator.....by my hasty working outs only 13 days separates their age at time of death.

Didn't get too many pointers for future contenders but the person who did look like they might be worth a punt next year would be Douglas Hurd. He looked liked Beaker's grandad.

• Like 1

I'll confess to exhausting a whole pocket pack of tissues during her funeral.

FFS, is her granddaughter hot, or what?

• Like 2

Guest Jr976evilMk2

Now that she's in the ground, perhaps the media will start again to cover topics that are, y'know, topical and relevant?

Now that she's in the ground, perhaps the media will start again to cover topics that are, y'know, topical and relevant?

Like the prospect she might come back as a zombie?

Now you're scared.

• Haha 1

Hadn't noticed.

Hadn't noticed.

She's not bad looking, but would you tap her if her voice sounded like her grandmother's?

• Confused 1

Was I the only person who felt physically ill when David Cameron performed the reading?

The profound scripture coming from his smug lardfilled wax face really upset me.

Hadn't noticed.

She's not bad looking, but would you tap her if her voice sounded like her grandmother's?

No but she's a USAian, brought up in US & SA, so its not likely it would.

The more worrying thing is she might have inherited her dad's intelligence.

• Like 2

Hadn't noticed.

No but she's a USAian, brought up in US & SA, so its not likely it would.

The more worrying thing is she might have inherited her dad's intelligence.

Somebody should teach her brother some deportment. He was positively sprawled in his seat and started leafing through the order of service during the sermon.

Amanda Thatcher has being described as 'Striking' Her grandmother wouldn't have liked that.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think that the only name on the list that will trump Thatcher for significance this year would be Prince Philip.

I think that the only name on the list that will trump Thatcher for significance this year would be Prince Philip.

Not Mandela?

Not Mandela?

I did think about both Mandela and George Bush Snr. The latter can be dismissed as a one term president against a 10 year stint as Prime Minister but Mandela could be a challenger. The real question is what is South Africa's place in the world compared with the UK & USA?

Not Mandela?

I did think about both Mandela and George Bush Snr. The latter can be dismissed as a one term president against a 10 year stint as Prime Minister but Mandela could be a challenger. The real question is what is South Africa's place in the world compared with the UK & USA?

Bush Snr & Carter would be big in the states but thats about it, both would receieve a couple of hours of breaking news feeds on Sky as opposed to the two days worth for Thatcher, in terms of most significant on the list i do think Mandela would beat Thatcher as would Prince Philip. Mubarak, Castro and Stan Lee are other possible contenders.

Not Mandela?

Bush Snr & Carter would be big in the states but thats about it, both would receieve a couple of hours of breaking news feeds on Sky as opposed to the two days worth for Thatcher, in terms of most significant on the list i do think Mandela would beat Thatcher as would Prince Philip. Mubarak, Castro and Stan Lee are other possible contenders.

Stan Lee would be significant for a small portion of the population (Big Bang Theory territory) but not worldwide. I wouldn't be able to pick out his face in a line up.

Castro possibly he has longevity but Mubarak no.

If anyone out there isn't already completely sick of the Thatcher talk and could go for hefty seconds, you might enjoy this debate from 2004 - which, rather surprisingly, features former Telegraph editor Sir Peregrine Worsthorne arguing against the motion that Thatcher "saved" Britain.

On the downside, it features Billy Bragg and Diane Abbott.

Has anyone noticed that since Thatcher died there has been a downturn in celebrity deaths.

I am thinking that she has organised a privatisation of the soul harvesting business which has resulted in massive inefficencies and strikes by the reaping staff. Hence fewer celebrity deaths.

• Haha 1

If anyone out there isn't already completely sick of the Thatcher talk and could go for hefty seconds, you might enjoy this debate from 2004 - which, rather surprisingly, features former Telegraph editor Sir Peregrine Worsthorne arguing against the motion that Thatcher "saved" Britain.

On the downside, it features Billy Bragg and Diane Abbott.

I would have watched it, if I didn't read your last line first.

Has anyone noticed that since Thatcher died there has been a downturn in celebrity deaths.

I am thinking that she has organised a privatisation of the soul harvesting business which has resulted in massive inefficencies and strikes by the reaping staff. Hence fewer celebrity deaths.

In sheer volume the deaths keep coming this year but in terms of highly notable or high name recognition celebs it does seem like some cosmic trade off for Thatcher to die all the other most well known low hangers can survive the year out.

• Like 1

The recent revelations about the enquiries into sex abuse by politicians and her friendhsip with Jimmy Saville seem to me to illustrate a naivity that Margaret Thatcher possessed as though she believed that people didn't really do evil things and that every one would do the right thing. In the same way there was no provision in homosexual criminal law which dealt with lesbians because Queen Victoria didn't believe in them.

If you extrapolate this it may help understand why Thatcher applied similar thinking to economic arguments. She did not expect people to be greedy.

There are some strange people in the world

Essex man names his baby after ex-PM Margaret Thatcher

A Conservative councillor has named his baby son after the former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher because he "wanted a name that stood out".

Rob Gledhill, of Thurrock council, and his partner Abbie Maguire called the baby Thatcher Stephen Maguire, Your Thurrock first reported.

Mr Gledhill said: "We're happy with it and if he's not happy with it when he's older I'm sure he'll change it."

Why is this still marked as 29?