Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Good news, mind. The team truck is out of surgery; expected to make a full recovery!

de Vilotta critical but stable, but she's lost her right eye:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...eshire-18711127

Bloody women drivers!

There is no place for women in motor sport, apart from holding brollies with their jugs out. They are historically and consistently shit at it, so why bother? Why has there never been a female F1 or MotoGP winner? Because they're simply not good enough. Stay at home with your knitting and kittens, ladies, and stop embarrassing yourselves. Leave it to the big boys.

Yes, I am a girl. And yes, when I'm driving down the M4, I am the best driver ever invented.

• Like 1

Ms Bazaar

Thank your for stimulating and incisive comments. Your ideas were passed to the Minister of Transport who studied them carefully before passing them on to the Home Secretary, who - in turn - passed them to the junior minister responsible for implementing policies of equality and diversity. Whilst initially bemused by your suggestions, the junior minister feels you would be an ideal member of his forthcoming delegation on a cultural exchange visit to Saudi Arabia, and will be in touch shortly.

• Like 2

Recently read about the 90th birthday celebrations last year for Norman Dewis; mentioned earlier in this thread. Survivor of infamous 1955 Le Mans race (raced for Jaguar at that event) and subsequently their chief test-driver for three and a half decades. Considering his ability to survive serious accidents in the testing career he seems somewhat charmed longevity wise. Still doing live events for Jaguar and reported to be so sprightly he exited a C type Jaguar at his birthday celebrations like "a cork out of a bottle." But he is in his nineties and likely obit-worthy.

Dewis is definitely obit-worthy,no doubt about that. One of the best drivers (since 1950, before we go down the Nuvolari line), never to start a World Championship Grand Prix, but did so much good work at Jaguar.

But I think it'll be a good few years yet before he shuffles off - as it stands now, there's plenty a racing candidate in front of him. I can see him making 95 at least***

***(In other words, he'll die tomorrow now I've said that)

This happened right in front of us at the World Superbikes at Silverstone on Sunday - Ayrton Badovini (who the day before had had the pleasure of meeting me) touches the kerb on a wet track as he crosses the finish line, going down and leaving Jonathan Rea nowhere to go but down with him - they slid for fucking miles, luckily no serious injuries. It was a mad day of racing, as the rain kept coming and going, plenty of gravel action to be had.

Shit. I was working out how many WRC event winners have died the other day - an increasing number as it began in the 70s so those at the top are getting on a bit, alongside relative youngsters like Burns and McRae who we've lost over the past few years. Another one to add to the list - the last driver to win a WRC rally without 4 wheel drive

NI motor-cyclist Trevor Ferguson, as a result of a crash during a race of the Manx Grand Prix.

Twitter has exploded with talk that Professor Sid Watkins, former chief F1 medic who saved the lives of Mika Hakkinen, Rubens Barrichello and Martin Donnelly amongst others, has died at the age of 84. Quite a big F1 passing if true, but yet to be confirmed

• Like 1

James, it's true I'm afraid. I'll get a proper link shortly. Sid was, sadly, in poor health since the turn of the year and was one of my lock-ins for the DDP 2013 side.

But I'm very sorry to see him go - I only met him once, at a book launch for his friend and equally remarkable man, Steve Olvey, but he was the gentleman and charming fellow I expected him to be.

If it wasn't for him, Donnelly, at the very least would've died in 1990, but also Hakkinen as you say, Burti in more recent years and a number of others. RIP Sid.

I picked him after by chance reading an article saying he had to miss an award ceremony due to ill health. A real shame.

Real shame. Too true about so many racing drivers owing so much to a wonderful doctor. Not least to add that Martin Brundle often said that if it were not for Sid, the local doctors would have amputated his most badly damaged foot after his Dallas GP 1984 practice crash.

RIP Prof.

The remarkable John Fitch, mentioned here many times before has died, of skin cancer, aged 95, this morning. http://www.oldracingcars.com/driver/John_Fitch http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/31/racing-legend-safety-pioneer-john-fitch-dies-at-95/

RIP to a true legend.

Fitch's death completes a bad fortnight or so for US motorsport - Tim Wardrop, British born, Indianapolis based engineer with Indy 500 race wins to his credit as designer and engineer, died aged 62 over the weekend, whilst 2nd oldest living Indy 500 driver, Eddie Russo, lost that particular claim after his death at 86 on the 14th October.

I was just reading up on Fitch there, Odstock (the wife is more of the racing fan in this house): he sounds a remarkable fellow with a well lived long life.

The remarkable John Fitch, mentioned here many times before has died, of skin cancer, aged 95, this morning. http://www.oldracing...iver/John_Fitch http://www.autoblog....tch-dies-at-95/

RIP to a true legend.

Fitch's death completes a bad fortnight or so for US motorsport - Tim Wardrop, British born, Indianapolis based engineer with Indy 500 race wins to his credit as designer and engineer, died aged 62 over the weekend, whilst 2nd oldest living Indy 500 driver, Eddie Russo, lost that particular claim after his death at 86 on the 14th October.

Aye, respect to the man and one name crossed off my HPDP/DDP picks for next year.

Those that peruse Wikipedia's Recent Deaths page will see Colin Davis listed as dying on the 23rd (Death Reported on this Date).

Well, that's a bit strange, as it was announced on Friday morning that he died, and he actually died on the 19th. http://www.oldracingcars.com/driver/Colin_Davis

The Targa Florio was his main triumph, but in 1964, it wasn't the event it once was. That said, he was a very, very capable all-rounder with two Grand Prix's to his name.

You had me going there for a second when I saw you'd posted in here, OoO - I've just submitted my DDP motorsport theme team, Red-Flagged (hence the reason for my new name here)

Who were you before? (James B?)

I entered a motor racing DDP team a few years back (think it was c. 2009/2010) but it didn't do well and won't do it again unless I get a whole load of inside knowledge again. Most of those I expected to die have gone this year. Obits in the right media are the biggest problem. Leo Kinnunen will get obits in motor racing press when he dies, but I'd be astonished if he gets the relevant obit. So hopefully he's not one of your 20.

Just make sure you've picked Sir Jack Brabham anyway. Barring the seriously ill Paul England, he's probably in the poorest shape, bar fraility of living Grand Prix drivers. I know who else I would pick, but I don't want to spoil it for you.

• Like 1