Near misses 2006 The ones that got away

1631 replies to this topic

#1441 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,436 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:49 PM

You can't talk Baseball on these forums. It's like talking to the wall. The UK really needs to become apart of American sports. Canada has done it, Japan probably will, there sport is just so boring. It's all football. And something called cricket. I don't even know what that is. That might be the game of the week at the nursing homes.

"Yankees and Mets, Yankees and Mets" That's all I've been hearing for weeks. To hell with New York! Go Dodgers! Go Tigers!

Well the Los Angeles Dodgers are only one game away from being eliminated. Talking NL the Mets are going to the championship series. But can anyone believe the Yankees! Joe Torre doesn't deserve this. George must have some headache. Personally I would like to see a Subway Series this year, but if A - Rod don't start doing what his quarter billion dollar f****n contract is, and if Randy can't beat a young team like this, it won't happen.

[Unaware that a certain moderator is a die-hard Dodgers fan, Banshee's Scream totally stepped in it. - TH]

#1442 M.Lawrenson

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:33 PM

View PostWindsor, on Oct 7 2006, 06:30 PM, said:

Cricket is baseball for old men.

Right. Old men you say. Would any baseball player go out to play looking like this?

Posted Image

#1443 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:38 PM

View Postthemaninblack, on Oct 6 2006, 02:16 PM, said:

Funny that, I was born a couple of weeks before, on the day of the Porridge episode where Nasty Norris dug up the Leeds United pitch!

Any other birth-days on minor TV milestones?

I was born three days before the Challenger explosion, which was televised. Does that count?
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#1444 Typhoid Harry

Post-Twunt

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:13 PM

View PostM.Lawrenson, on Oct 7 2006, 12:33 PM, said:

Right. Old men you say. Would any baseball player go out to play looking like this?

Posted Image

No respectable man would go out ANYWHERE looking like that.
I'm not sure if it's Marxism in action or a West End musical... - Dr. Who

#1445 Lady Die

I have no life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:40 AM

View PostTyphoid Harry, on Oct 7 2006, 09:13 PM, said:

View PostM.Lawrenson, on Oct 7 2006, 12:33 PM, said:

Posted Image

No respectable man would go out ANYWHERE looking like that.
Jack Straw should ask him to remove it.
There were three of us in the morgue so it was rather crowded

#1446 Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:06 PM

Joseph Lynch GC BEM, a very brave man who is one of the relatively few to have won a George Cross for bravery has died. Obit

Won't get as many column headlines as Paul Hunter, but a fine man nonetheless.

:o

#1447 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:23 PM

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on Oct 10 2006, 10:06 PM, said:

Joseph Lynch GC BEM, a very brave man who is one of the relatively few to have won a George Cross for bravery has died. Obit

Probably won't get so many ranters to this site either come to think of it... ;)
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#1448 Guest_Joe Lynch rules_*

• Guests

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:42 PM

View Postthemaninblack, on Oct 10 2006, 09:23 PM, said:

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on Oct 10 2006, 10:06 PM, said:

Probably won't get so many ranters to this site either come to think of it... ;)

You sick f****r man in black, Joseph Lynch was a legend. How dare you say he doesn't deserve ranters about his death.
I met him and I can tell you you sick twisto wankface that he will be missed by the whole British population.
He stopped lots of people dying. I am disgusted that other ranters are not already on here crying & snashing teeth as they are for this Paul Hunter who ever he may be. Sick. They are, you are. Everyone is. May your eyeballs disintegrate into your bowels slowly & horribly.
Ta.

#1449 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:47 PM

Oh bollocks..... :o

#1450 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:33 AM

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on Oct 10 2006, 11:06 PM, said:

I won't hesitate to trade ten sportsmen, however apt at their game, for one such hero. May the memory of Joseph Lynch GC BEM never die.

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#1451 Six

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:38 AM

View PostJoe Lynch rules, on Oct 10 2006, 10:42 PM, said:

Joseph Lynch ...[snip] ... he will be missed by the whole British population.
... May your eyeballs disintegrate into your bowels slowly & horribly.

I really don't think I'll miss him because I don't actually know who he is. I am one of the British population, so I think your statement is incorrect.

I do like your imagination though. What an interesting image that sentence last provokes! :o

#1452 in eternum+

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:50 AM

You sick f****r man in black, Joseph Lynch was a legend. How dare you say he doesn't deserve ranters about his death.
I met him and I can tell you you sick twisto wankface that he will be missed by the whole British population.
He stopped lots of people dying. I am disgusted that other ranters are not already on here crying & snashing teeth as they are for this Paul Hunter who ever he may be. Sick. They are, you are. Everyone is. May your eyeballs disintegrate into your bowels slowly & horribly.
Ta.
This has gotta be worth some points, surely!

Quality ranting, JLR, absolute quality. Shame that attention was swayed elsewhere as a result of the multiplicitous and lesser-quality PH ranters.

I'm sure Mr Lynch would be proud to have you amongst his small but effective contingent of ranters.

Nice work, sailor!
Proud to be Old Skool

#1453 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:50 PM

View Postin eternum+, on Oct 11 2006, 11:50 AM, said:

Ta.

Quality ranting, JLR, absolute quality. Shame that attention was swayed elsewhere as a result of the multiplicitous and lesser-quality PH ranters.

I'm sure Mr Lynch would be proud to have you amongst his small but effective contingent of ranters.

Nice work, sailor!

Methinks JLR's post was tongue in cheek!
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#1454 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:14 PM

New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle is reported to have been killed when
a small plane struck a skyscraper in New York today.....

#1455 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:17 PM

View Postthemaninblack, on Oct 11 2006, 10:14 PM, said:

In every lifetime a Lidle Reign must fall.
"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

It's been over 18 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

#1456 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:52 PM

View Postthemaninblack, on Oct 11 2006, 11:14 PM, said:

A full hit, rather than a near miss, I'd say.

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#1457 Eddy

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:34 AM

First thing I did was google cory lidle to see if this site would be on the first page Posted Image

This site has a strange way of getting to me...

#1458 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:45 AM

Aye, addictive innnit. My heroin stash sits there untouched and unsold to the twelve year olds sat sweating and shaking on the doorstep as I check on the latest celebrity mortality issues.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#1459 Rotten Ali

Value for money

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:47 PM

October 2006
[edit]
Richard Hunter, 60, Ngarrindjeri elder and South Australian citizen of the year. [1]

but never heard of him, headline from wiki - guess that's the third "Hunter" loads of people have been predicting!
Yes yes yes yes yes... yes yes yes yes, no!

(Trevor Peacock as Jim Trott in the Vicar of Dibley)

DL Shadow List: King Abdullah, Muhammad Ali, Sir Richard Attenborough, Tariq Aziz, Pope Benedict XVI, Tony Benn, Ian Brady, George HW Bush, Sid Caeser, Fidel Castro, George Cole, Katherine Crowe, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Kirk Douglas, Jean Claude Duvalier, Queen Fabiola of Belgium, Louis Farrakhan, Aretha Franklin, Zsa Zsa Gabor, James Garner, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Mikhail Gorbachev, Billy Graham, King Harald V of Norway, Valerie Harper, Joao Havelange, Stephen Hawking, Jimmy Hill, Clive James, Yahya Jammeh, General Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Casey Kasem, Stan Lee, Jerry Lee Lewis, Penny Marshall, T O N Mbasogo, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Ian Paisley, Nancy Reagan, Albert Reynolds, Ariel Sharon, Sam Simon, Jeremy Thorpe, Gough Whitlam, Lee Kuan Yew, Michael York & Jiang Zemin. 12/50

#1460 in eternum+

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:08 AM

View PostVSBfromH, on Oct 11 2006, 05:50 PM, said:

View Postin eternum+, on Oct 11 2006, 11:50 AM, said:

Ta.

Nice work, sailor!
Methinks JLR's post was tongue in cheek!
Really?

[despondent]Oh..[/despondent]

I kind of wish you hadn't told me that! :wheelchair:
Proud to be Old Skool

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users