Godot

What Are You Giving Up For Lent?

Notapotato's mention of gravy reminded me that it's that time of year again. Pancakes on Tuesday - I love pancakes - then 40 days of going without something from Ash Wednesday. :(

You don't have to be religious to do this. I find it helps to concentrate the mind for a while. Last year I gave up gravy and it was tough I can tell you.

This year I was thinking of giving up oranges but I have decided to do without potatoes and bread. So no chip butties until Easter Sunday. Since a jacket potato topped with butter, grated cheese and tuna with mayonnaise is possibly my favourite meal, this is going to be some ordeal. It makes gravy pale by comparison.

Come on there must be something you can give up for Lent. MPFC could give up Carlisle Utd, that's easy enough. Walter could give up complaining and Matilda, well she could simply give up.:o

List your sacrifices here, then stick to it.

In case you've forgotten, my name isn't Matilda, it's R-E-B-E-C-C-A ..say it out loud, it's really not that hard...no, I wasn't referring to anyone's appendage, assuming they have one of course...and what the hell kind of a name is Godot anyway, and could you find a less attractive picture, or is that what you really look like? Wouldn't surprise me if the avatar was better-looking than you...I think I'll give up tolerating you for the duration....whatcha fink, geez??

Since I think Godot is serious I won't make the spurious remark that was my first inclination. :(

I don't really know. I've given up all the stuff you should give up already.

Is it me or has Shrove Tuesday being played down in recent years?

I had a look in my diary and it isn't even there!

You couldn't move for all the gobshite surrounding Valentines Day, but Pancake day? Zip!

I'm giving up work for Lent BTW, it's the sensible thing to do... :(

In case you've forgotten, my name isn't Matilda, it's R-E-B-E-C-C-A ..say it out loud, it's really not that hard...no, I wasn't referring to anyone's appendage, assuming they have one of course...and what the hell kind of a name is Godot anyway, and could you find a less attractive picture, or is that what you really look like? Wouldn't surprise me if the avatar was better-looking than you...I think I'll give up tolerating you for the duration....whatcha fink, geez??

Maybe we could all give up bitching on internet forums for lent?

BTW - Godot's avatar reminds me of Shane MacGowan. The Pete Doherty of the 80s

Edit - Added images to back up my claims. Please don't have nightmares.

mcgowan_a.jpg

tn-shangemacgowan.jpg

4952_0.jpg

Thread subtitle changed in honour of our poster from Kernow.

i mean, i get Lent.. i just dont get the Penzance bit.

I think it's a pun on penance... :blink:

I think it's a pun on penance... :o

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah i see the light! :blink:

Shane MacGowan has better teeth than me. If I read the last few posts here correctly there isn't any great enthusiasm anywhere for giving things up. Maybe that's a reflection of the society we live in. We want it all and now and all of the time. Well I'm in serious training, had a couple of spuds tonight, for on Wednesday they're going to be behind me for a while.

So far we've had potatoes, Eastenders and work. I suppose it's a start. I think Matilda should give up waltzing.

Shane MacGowan has better teeth than me. If I read the last few posts here correctly there isn't any great enthusiasm anywhere for giving things up. Maybe that's a reflection of the society we live in. We want it all and now and all of the time. Well I'm in serious training, had a couple of spuds tonight, for on Wednesday they're going to be behind me for a while.

So far we've had potatoes, Eastenders and work. I suppose it's a start. I think Matilda should give up waltzing.

I'll give up bitching if you will....and stop calling me Matilda or I might start calling you Britannia...no, that's too nice....I'll think up something worse - there are so many to choose from...

OK i'll give up Deal or No Deal.

I was watching that show the other night, but I just can't figure it out. These broads just open suitcases. And by the way Rebecca I truely love your avatar. That woman looks beyond attractive.

I was watching that show the other night, but I just can't figure it out. These broads just open suitcases. And by the way Rebecca I truely love your avatar. That woman looks beyond attractive.

I can't figure it out either but who needs to?

Thanks, Banshees, it's Ava at her best - she was such a vamp...and a tramp....I love her....and what is beyond attractive? You are now entering the Twilight Zone.....

I'm about to put everybody in the Twilight Zone. I'm announcing, and not for no f****n religion, but I will give up Deathlist untill I have my first hit. I will not check Deathlist, I will not post, untill the first death hits the charts.

Never mind everybody, Maurice Papon dropped dead today. :blink:

A merciful reprieve for us all. What would we have done without you BS?

you should see the british version. its pretty much the same only with less money and a cheaper set. no suitcases, just cheap red cardboard boxes.

you should see the british version. its pretty much the same only with less money and a cheaper set. no suitcases, just cheap red cardboard boxes.

The French version has lots of girlies wearing 'combat' bikinis. :blink:

I will give up avocados.

There! Thart was easy............always good to relinquish something I despise.

I shall be going without church. I know six weeks is a big ask, but hey it's lent, gotta make the sacrifice count.