weasel

World War I Veteran(s)

Being respectful, does anyone know if there is any way to know how many World War I veterans are still living? I haven't found a website which addresses this. Most vets from the "Big War" would be around 100 at this time. The last one around my area passed away like 8 years ago at age 97.

By my reckoning, they would have to be at least 104 years old. At the last Remembrance Sunday I heard there were only a dozen or so left from Britain. I'm surprised it's that many (tho' of course we could have lost a few since then). The point is though, that they would not qualify for the DL as "famous for being old" is not really enough.

It's hard to accurately figure out how many are still living because of the large number of countries involved....

Allies: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Costa Rica, Cuba, France, Greece, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Italy, Japan, Liberia, Montenegro, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, South Africa, Thailand, G.B., US,

Axis: Austro-Hungary, Bulgaria, German Empire, Ottoman Empire.

Here's some figures I found though....

According to the US Veterans Admin, there is an estimated 100 to 500 or so Americans WWI Vets living.

According to an article I saw online, in 2001 there were approx. 250 French WWI Vets living. So that's gone down.

As of 2003, there are 33 living WWI Vets from Great Britain. Dunno if that's changed at all, but I'm sure it's gone down a couple.

It seems that Australia has 4 WWI Vets still living.

Canada have only a "handful" left, whatever that means.

That's all I could find online.

Puzlman

Guest Misanthropy-life

it would seem odd for there to be more U.S. Veterans than Brits, as they were only in the war for 1 year.

it would seem odd for there to be more U.S. Veterans than Brits, as they were only in the war for 1 year.

Well I think this explains itself. If in a war for a shorter time there would be less loss of life (under normal circumstances) which means less mental stress caused by losing a buddy in a war which would lead to a happier and therefore healthier and quite possibly longer life span.

Guest Guest
Well I think this explains itself. If in a war for a shorter time there would be less loss of life (under normal circumstances) which means less mental stress caused by losing a buddy in a war which would lead to a happier and therefore healthier and quite possibly longer life span.

This may well apply for the average life span of an American Veteran compared to a Brit veteran, however what i meant that in quantitative terms more British men fought in the war than American men, so consequently there should be more British veterans surviving to this day.

Guest Guest_Misanthropy-life

ah. forgot to type my name. Think i'll just register.

Guest IYG
more British men died in the war than American men

Wow that's an understatement. :banghead:

I never knew all those Central American countries were on our side, or San Marino for that matter.

Guest BBTBRD63

As of May 8 2005 there are seven Canadian WWI vets.

On the other side of the argument though: The Americans had less experience when they came to the war and repeated mistakes that the British had made earlier (I.E. at the Somme). So their death rates initially were quite high.

Also at the end of the war the fighting left the trenches, which caused higher casualty levels as soldiers had less protection.

Guest Elaine Downey

To BBTBRD 63 Correction on number of Canadian World War 1 Veterans. There are only 5 remaining, not 7. The most recent passing of a World war 1 Canadian Veteran was in April 2005. He was Mr. Lazare Gionet of Carquet, N.B.

The 5 left are: 1) Mr. John Babcock, Spokane WA. He lived in B.C. at the time of WW1. 2) Mr. William "Duke" Proctor of Vernon, B.C

3) Mr. Charles "Clare" Laking of Toronto, ON

4) Mr. Victor Lloyd Clement of Toronto, ON

5) Mr. Percy Dwight Wilson of Oshawa, ON

Guest Brian

According to an article from Memorial Day, 2005, there are less than 30 WWI vets left.

If anyone knows where I can obtain a list of surving WWI Veterans, please post a response.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/29/wwi.veteran.ap/

According to an article from Memorial Day, 2005, there are less than 30 WWI vets left.

If anyone knows where I can obtain a list of surving WWI Veterans, please post a response.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/29/wwi.veteran.ap/

Well you see thats the thing there really isen't an accual list because every month or so one of them dies and a new list would have to be made. Its very frequent :D

Guest Brian

Banshee,

I appreciate your response but I guess what really bothers me is everyone can tell you the names of surviving WWI veterans in England, Australia, and Canada, as well as other countries, but no one seems to have an exact figure or even semi-current list of U.S. WWI Veterans. As an American, this really bothers me. I guess that old soldiers never really do die, they just fade away.

With the United States currently at war, I feel it is ashame that there is no way for those of us who wish to meet or write to these living legends of "The Great War". I would love to find one who lives anywhere near me in Pennsylvania and personally thank them for their sacrifice nearly a century ago. To shake hands with someone who was there is to expereince history as close to firsthand as possible and I would consider it a great honor to do so.

WWI is almost never talked about or discussed. With no disrespect, it was completely eclipsed by WWII. Any help anyone can provide would be wonderful. Thanks!

I have been able to compile this partial list of living US World War I Veterans. According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, there are about 30 known American WWI veterans that were alive as of March 29th, 2005:

• Emiliano Mercado Del Toro, Puerto Rico--born Aug. 21, 1891, age 113
  • Moses Hardy,U.S.(MS)--born Jan.6,1893,age 112
  • George Johnson, U.S.Richmond,(CA)--born May 1,1894,age 111
  • Mark Matthews, U.S.(NC)-- born Aug.7,1894,age 110
  • Merlyn Krueger, U.S./CAN--born Apr.8,1895,age 110 (Walla Walla, WA)
  • Ernest Pusey, U.S. Baerdon,(FL)--born May 5,1895, age 110
  • Arthur Warmington of New Jersey, born Sept 1895
  • Justin Poor, Bradenton, Fl, age 105
  • Joe Wright, 109 of Pennsylvania
  • Homer Anderson, 107 of Pompano Beach, Fl, born Dec 24th, 1897
  • Harold Gardner, 106 of Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, born Dec 3rd, 1898
  • David "Tex" Little, 101, of Jackson, Wyoming
  • Md. Man, 103, residence unknown
  • Lloyd Brown, 103 of Charlotte Hall, Md. born Oct 7th, 1901 (lied about his age to enlist)

I hope this helps.

Regards ff B)

By my reckoning, they would have to be at least 104 years old. At the last Remembrance Sunday I heard there were only a dozen or so left from Britain. I'm surprised it's that many (tho' of course we could have lost a few since then). The point is though, that they would not qualify for the DL as "famous for being old" is not really enough.

Britain's oldest man reaches 109

Henry Allingham, who lives in Eastbourne in East Sussex, is thought to be one of about only 20 surviving servicemen from World War I. He served at Ypres and at the Somme and was awarded France's highest military honour in 2003, in addition to various medals awarded by his own country.

I know he's not eligible, but someone may be interested.

Guest Matt

I attended the American Legion Buckeye Boys State this year (2005). On Saturday during our awards ceremony a 107 WWI vet named Russel Coffey came to speak to us! They wheeled him into Anderson Arena (At Bowling Green University) and he stood up, walked the to the podium during a standing ovation and said this,

"Thank-you, its so good to see all you young people out there tonight. I feel a lot better now, the only thing that bothers me is that I get tired easily, but I feel better now then I did 10 years ago. I just get tired, so if you don't see me around later that'[s probably why I left. You won't catch me dancing much tonight"

It was soooo cool. The man was a doctor and taught at BGSU and lives in the city. He drove until he was 100 and still has a sharp mind.

I had one photo left on my camera and I got a great shot of him coming to the podium.

God Bless him, and all the other Great War vets passed and present.

I had one photo left on my camera and I got a great shot of him coming to the podium.

Can you post the picture?

in salute to an old hero,

Hein

Guest Matt

When I get the camera back from Daves I'll scan it and post it. I think I'll have it up by thursday.

Guest Animeguy

Brad Armstrong

Total posts: 24

Mon 19 Aug 2002 18:14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know how many Commonwealth soldiers from WW 1 are still alive? ...

for the rest, see Victoria Cross forum

Edited by Teddy

Guest Animeguy

Giovanni Azzolina-Raciti

Total posts: 8

Wed 6 Apr 2005 22:44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosario Azzolina, born in Santo Stefano Di Camastra, Messina, Sicily, died in 1970....

Edited by Teddy

Guest animeguy

Ms Redpepper

Total posts: 19

Thu 2 Jun 2005 05:36

My condensed notes I have compiled from site postings .....

Edited by Teddy