maryportfuncity

Old Folkies Home

The net closes ever closer on Jimmy Page, then.

Just about every old rocker must be a possible suspect. How long till Led Zep's 'red snapper' groupie comes forward?

"M'lud, you must remember this was the culture of 1971, when inserting Lutjanus campechanus into a young lady's private parts was considered the societal norm".

I guess the rock star paedo hunt has now begun in earnest. Bill Wyman, anyone? And I suspect Jerry Lee was banging his 13-yr-old wife Myra when he toured here in 1958 too, Officer Yewtree.

I should be ok, as we never got any groupies. Of any age. Unless you count Welshman or Cowboy Ronnie. :ph34r:

Nobody has ever suggested the groupie on the business end of that Red Snapper was:

a: underage

or

b: unwilling

Have they

Consenting adults etc. etc. The main point about Page is that it's widely accepted that a specific minder was employed to prevent access to his bedroom area because his female companion during one tour was 14.

Seriously, where were her parents? (masturbating furiously in the wardrobe mebbe!)

Chieftains founder member Sean Potts hangs up his tin whistle aged 83.

Scottish folkie Jean Redpath

here's a link to news of her death http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-28890309

Which also suggests that those involved in BBC News have a massive soft spot for obscure British folk singers, making anyone who cranked out an obscure album obit worthy. Scour the most recent online snaps from your local folk club to study form, quite a few of the sixties crowd are still gigging on that circuit. I've seen Keith Christmas (fucking brilliant and very much alive), Wizz Jones (ditto) and a few others over the years.

Accordian player and lead instrumentalist of the Yetties, Pete Shutler, has died aged 68 of cancer.

Their version of Barwick Green has played in the Sunday Omnibus edition of The Archers for 'almost 40 years'.

Another venerable sort who never made household name status, Stuart Gordon, has gone:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/oct/09/stuart-gordon-obituary

If nowt else, this proves the willingness of the broadsheets - esp The Guardian - to publish point-scoring obits for anyone who got a sniff of folkie action or similar (Gordon was involved with The Incredible String Band for a while).

Another venerable sort who never made household name status, Stuart Gordon, has gone:

http://www.theguardi...gordon-obituary

If nowt else, this proves the willingness of the broadsheets - esp The Guardian - to publish point-scoring obits for anyone who got a sniff of folkie action or similar (Gordon was involved with The Incredible String Band for a while).

Actually it's in under "Other Lives" which means one of his mates wrote and submitted the obit, much as happens with our local paper.

If you would like to submit a piece for Other lives, please email or post up to 400 words with a picture and your contact information. Articles should be submitted within three months of the subject's death.

I really wish I'd thought of doing that when my DDP joker failed to obit a couple of years back. :rolleyes:

Surely, Other Lives isn't point-scoring?

Why would you think that? It's a feature in a national print newspaper.

There are far more ephemeral fleeting mentions that are considered valid.

Why would you think that? It's a feature in a national print newspaper.

There are far more ephemeral fleeting mentions that are considered valid.

Hell yeah, I always understood it was point scoring; on the basis that The Guardian gets loads of submissions and only uses a few and - in any case - a fair few of those obitted in this way would have been covered anyway, it's more Guardian policy than owt else, to make the whole obits thing look less staid and more democratic. The original point stands. If you were ever remotely important in British folk, acid folk or owt else beloved of beardy types who've gone on to be middle class and/or influential, you're probably Guardian obitable.

Doh.

Roy Harper's trial has started, his alleged victims (i.e. those claiming he had sex with them whilst they were underage) were extremely young at the time so it may, just, be time to drag this thread high and consider how he's doing (legally and health wise).

Roy Harper's trial has started, his alleged victims (i.e. those claiming he had sex with them whilst they were underage) were extremely young at the time so it may, just, be time to drag this thread high and consider how he's doing (legally and health wise).

Even if he gets found not guilty, the lyrics to his song The Black Cloud of Islam - conspicuous by it's absence from youtube - may ruffle some extremist feathers. Hopefully Harper's new found prominence won't mean his back catalogue comes to the attention of ISIS....although I suppose it isn't entirely likely that a bunch of crazed jihadists will sit around the campfire in Syria listening to McGoohans Blues.

Even if he gets found not guilty, the lyrics to his song The Black Cloud of Islam - conspicuous by it's absence from youtube - may ruffle some extremist feathers. Hopefully Harper's new found prominence won't mean his back catalogue comes to the attention of ISIS....although I suppose it isn't entirely likely that a bunch of crazed jihadists will sit around the campfire in Syria listening to McGoohans Blues.

Harpers back catalogue also includes Forbidden Fruit which openly discusses having sex with an underage girl and specifies she is 14.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/the-dubliners-singer-jim-mccann-has-passed-away-at-age-of-70-31043179.html

Jim McCann , who was with the Dubliners during their best era.

This is later though...

Just to close this, Harper was acquitted of 2 charges and the jury dismissed after failing to reach a verdict on the remaining charges.

Bugger :( , he was meant to be in the pish up here in the next week or two.

Mate has an unreleased documentary on him filmed in Spain that Renbourn refused to let get released.

Need to work on him for it I reckon.

Not sure whether this should go here, in the Shove Off, Eh thread or the Dead Pop Stars thread, but this isn't very promising for one of my great great heroes. :-(

BBC News saying she was in good spirits, though she is in the ICU. I'm guessing something circulatory/cardiac (given her history as a life-long smoker).