Death Watch Beatle

Muhammad Ali

There's a photo of him in The Daily Telegraph today walking with a zimmer (sorry can't supply a link). Apparently he can barely walk even with a frame.

Brief article, probably similiar to one read by Lady Die here.

Wouldn't say he's on deaths door, simply not the man he was either 30 yrs ago or 10.

He's very ill and his mobility has deteriorated noticably over the last few years, but he's still strong enough inside - heart, lungs etc - to see out the year.

He's very ill and his mobility has deteriorated noticably over the last few years, but he's still strong enough inside - heart, lungs etc - to see out the year.

Is that based off a new article, or your personal observations from what we've all been discussing? (Sorry if that sounds snooty, it's not meant to be.)

Is that based off a new article, or your personal observations from what we've all been discussing? (Sorry if that sounds snooty, it's not meant to be.)

A bit of all of them and some e-mail exchanges with a former associate of Ali. The guy I know is well out of the loop now but has some mutual contacts who are still close.

Guest Silver

He is NR. 1. in my deathlist

:) its time to for him I think... :lol:

Sounds like a very sick man and his astute business minded wife getting things in order. IMO;he's got a few years, but he won't be dancing anymore.

He should never have gone on Parkinson. That bastard has infected so many people.

You cant get Parkinsons from boxing. My mum got it and she was far from a boxer.

You cant get Parkinsons from boxing. My mum got it and she was far from a boxer.

A mile? Two miles? They say that wherever you go on the street in London you are never more than 10ft away from a boxer.

Or is it a rat?

Interview in today's Observer Sport Monthly with Thomas 'Hit Man' Hearns still boxing at 47 where some people express concern about his slurred speech and Ferdie Pacheco - Ali's doctor - makes a few comments about almost every great fighter going on too long and shipping too much punishment.

No quote from Ali though.

Health of Floyd Patterson wasn't exactly helped by his Alheimers, like Ali's Parkinson's it's one of those conditions that can be accelerated by boxing. Patterson was 71, a few years back there was the sad spectacle of him giving evidence to a commission investigating boxing. He was asked about winning his world title and he couldn't remember the name of his opponent.

Health of Floyd Patterson wasn't exactly helped by his Alheimers, like Ali's Parkinson's it's one of those conditions that can be accelerated by boxing. Patterson was 71, a few years back there was the sad spectacle of him giving evidence to a commission investigating boxing. He was asked about winning his world title and he couldn't remember the name of his opponent.

Neither can I and I'm a lot younger.

You wouldn't be an old retired boxer who is famous?

Would you be Godot?

............... So you forget things often?

Nor could he remember his phone number or his fellow commissioners' names.

In 1998, he gave evidence in legal proceedings concerning 'ultimate fighting', a hybrid of brawling and martial arts that is banned in New York. He was cross-examined by counsel for the promoters of the sport and could not remember whom he had fought for the heavyweight title, the names of his fellow commissioners or even the telephone number of his office. Patterson resigned, devastated.

Very sad indeed.

Would you be Godot?

I cudda been a contender, you mean? Naa. Been hit around the head a few times though and have been wondering recently if I'm suffering from early onset Alzheimer's. I went to a site the other day and found I could tick all the boxes, also I don't think that note there about Patterson not remembering various people and his phone number particularly odd. I can't remember anything and have to make notes all the time. Now, whole chunks of my past - incidents, meetings with people, events - have disappeared. It's spooky.

For the record, Patterson beat Archie Moore to become the youngest ever world champion and lost it to Ingmar Johansson before winning it back in a rematch, becoming the first champion to do so. Sonny Liston annihilated him in two short brutal fights and Ali made him look very ordinary in the sixties and again - when Patterson was 37 - in 1972.

I considered a boxing career myself like, but I value them facts in my head too much.

Guest tomtom

he's a baby.

Would you be Godot?

I cudda been a contender, you mean? Naa. Been hit around the head a few times though and have been wondering recently if I'm suffering from early onset Alzheimer's. I went to a site the other day and found I could tick all the boxes, also I don't think that note there about Patterson not remembering various people and his phone number particularly odd. I can't remember anything and have to make notes all the time. Now, whole chunks of my past - incidents, meetings with people, events - have disappeared. It's spooky.

If constant worries and high stress are topping the charts that may explain...

Depression or deep sorrow can also cause you to loose your mind.

Go and get wha you want. That is the answer.