Sign in to follow this  
Guest IYG

J. D. Salinger

Yeah, Catcher in the Rye is a good book...

The way I figure it, his death is the only thing which might, might, see a further Salinger publication. As a fan of the Glass Family and his other three main publications, I'd love to see more of him, although I wouldn't be surprised if all of his personal papers were destroyed after his death.

The way I figure it, his death is the only thing which might, might, see a further Salinger publication. As a fan of the Glass Family and his other three main publications, I'd love to see more of him, although I wouldn't be surprised if all of his personal papers were destroyed after his death.

I think it's understood that his death WILL see further publication of the stuff he's been writing consistently since he last published. More to the point there'll be a mad scramble to get that Catcher movie underway when he finally goes.

More to the point there'll be a mad scramble to get that Catcher movie underway when he finally goes.

Man, JD's gonna do a LOT of rolling over once he gets his grave. I could see legions of true Salinger fans picketing studios demanding they not make such a movie. Especially since it's too late to cast Akim Tamiroff (he make beeg joke).

Guest Exactly

I think it's understood that his death WILL see further publication of the stuff he's been writing consistently since he last published. More to the point there'll be a mad scramble to get that Catcher movie underway when he finally goes.

Exactly. How is this not being talked about? Salinger's known comments strongly suggest he continues to write. Unless he personally burns his papers/etc., his death may very well lead to any number of publications. A complicated dude with many fans (the variously literate Rye-types included), his death = potential literary firestorm (warranted by the material or not). It's unfortunate, at least from an outsider's perspective, that his actions have made it come to this.

Also, the Catcher in the Rye movie prospects. An absurd number of A-class actors have expressed deep interest here. Salinger has refused, endlessly. After death, depending on wills and copyrights and all that, we may finally see this movie. I doubt it will be any good, but if you consider the timeless popularity of the novel, its widely aged audience, etc., you see how popular this movie would be. $$$, etc.

Weird place, deathlist.net. I'm not sure whether I'm depressed or amused.

Guest Glassy-Eyed Fan

Ha! Variously-literate, indeed!

Seems odd to judge an author based on one piece of writing, anyway.

F&Z is a masterpiece in my opinion.

I also admire a person who can resist the lure of oodles of cash,

in order to prevent any compromise of their artistic integrity.

I hope he is doing well and won't have any awareness of

the goings-on after his parting.

*cmm*

Guest Charles
Ha! Variously-literate, indeed!

Seems odd to judge an author based on one piece of writing, anyway.

F&Z is a masterpiece in my opinion.

I also admire a person who can resist the lure of oodles of cash,

in order to prevent any compromise of their artistic integrity.

I hope he is doing well and won't have any awareness of

the goings-on after his parting.

*cmm*

I reckon "Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters" is his best. Something so beautiful about it.

JD turned 90 yesterday, the day after being kicked off the DL for being way too damn exciting, and celebrated by inviting the world's media and anyone who felt like toddling along to a massive knees-up at his house. Attendees included Harry Morgan, Vincent O'Brien, Kim Jong-il and Pinch Me Chapstick, and a three-hour TV spectacular featuring extensive footage will be shown on primetime any day now.

This is probably about as much of a health update as we're ever going to get until he dies.

At least it confirms he's still alive though.

he enjoys spinach and mushroom wraps when eating in a local café

The secret of a long and healthy life, obviously.

salinger.jpg

There was some research published recently suggesting a range of factors being central to marriages that end in divorce, including a large age gap between the partners.

Colleen Salinger isn't looking too bad on such a deal.

When J.D. Salinger buys the farm, I wonder if they will finally be able to make a movie out of 'The Catcher in the Rye'?

When J.D. Salinger buys the farm, I wonder if they will finally be able to make a movie out of 'The Catcher in the Rye'?

Depends on whether his son or daughter wins the battle, I suppose.

It's about time

A standard 5 pointer for a number of DDPers

w***er. I had him on my list last year but took him off this year. Git.

Totally stoked for the movie version of Catched In The Rye directed by Diablo Cody and starring Michael Cera as Holden.

w***er. I had him on my list last year but took him off this year. Git.

A sneak preview of the Guardian obit there...

Well, there's definitely one that I didn't see coming; nor did anyone on the CPDP since Year 1, apparently. Anyhow, well done to DL on this one!

I had only twenty minutes ago logged off a celeb obituary website (in which nobody of any interest since Jean Simmons had passed) -By the way, I wonder how many people thought it might have been Gene Simmons, the long tongued Kiss frontman, who was the recent departed. I can imagine Kiss fans dressed in all their attire and make up, jumping around with their tongues out and demonstrating their air guitar moves at the 80 year old actress's funeral.

Anyway, then Yahoo news headlined with the sad death of J.D. Salinger. He wrote one of my favourite books of all time. Although I must admit I tried very hard to like any other of his publications. "A Good Day for Bananafish" (I think that was the title) was very good and darkly quirky.

Maybe with his passing we may see some unseen material. I suspect he wrote a follow up to Holden Caulfield's life but did not feel, did not want to and did not need to reveal it to the public and his fans. His was kinda funny like that!