Godot

Art For Death's Sake

Polish sculptor Magdalena Abakanowicz has died aged 86. 

Vito Acconci, the guy who scratched himself till bleeding and pioneer of body art, has died aged 77 following a stroke.

Emil Venkov, the Bulgarian sculptor who created the statue of Vladimir Lenin that presides over Fremont, died on June 9 at the age of 79, according to his son Ivan.The Association of Slovak Artists also put out a statement recognizing Venkov’s contributions to monumentalist sculpture in Slovakia.  Venkov’s 16-foot bronze of Lenin — weighing eight tons — depicts the Communist revolutionary leader emerging from leaping flames. It had been commissioned by the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia and was installed in the city of Poprad in the former Czechoslovakia in 1988. Poprad is now in Slovakia.

SC

Sad to say the Scottish artist Evelyn Fleming died last weekend aged 78. A really lovely lady. *and contrary to the obit, it wasn't a collie but a springer spaniel called Birthday, as she was born on Evelyn's. I'll miss our chats. https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/1286435/elderly-woman-dies-after-falling-down-gorge-in-north-west-sutherland/

• Like 1

"Award-winning artist, painter and printmaker Francesca Lowe, 37, was collapsed at home in Stoke Newington, north London, by her fellow artist husband Gavin Nolan, an inquest heard."

Now dammit, that sounds like a murder-suicide.  She was collapsed 'by her fellow artist'.  Is the word FOUND missing, or is that a stilted Brit way of saying things, as in 'she went to hospital' vs 'the hospital'?  
Anyway....let's continue....

"She had undergone a cardiogram for a heart murmur just weeks before her husband found her on January 23rd this year, the inquest heard.  In the two days before her death she had caught the winter vomiting bug norovirus.  In a short witness statement read to the court by the Coroner, Mr Nolan said: ‘I woke up and went to the toilet and saw Francesca there. There was vomit in the toilet and I touched her and she was cold."

So it wasn't a murder-suicide, but by golly, being 6-months pregnant, it WAS a two-for-one after all!
SC

Alan Peckolick, who overcame a failed art school career to emerge as a leading designer of some the world’s most distinctive logos, died on Aug. 3 in Danbury, Conn. He was 76.   His typography distinguished familiar logos, like GM’s (just the two initials underscored by a muscular solid bar), and the typefaces for company names, including Pfizer, Revlon and Mercedes-Benz, and institutions like New York University and the City College of New York.

SC

Karl Otto Götz, first notable german painter post WW II, dead at 103:

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/kunst/karl-otto-goetz-maler-im-alter-von-103-jahren-gestorben-15161317.html (german)

As teacher of Gerhard Richter, there should be many english obits coming soon.

Edit: DDP pick for two teams, also.

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Karl Otto Götz, first notable german painter post WW II, dead at 103:

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/kunst/karl-otto-goetz-maler-im-alter-von-103-jahren-gestorben-15161317.html (german)

As teacher of Gerhard Richter, there should be many english obits coming soon.

Edit: DDP pick for two teams, also.

DDP pick?  You Gotz to be kidding

Basil Gogos, an American illustrator who did portraits of movie monsters which appeared on the Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, has died aged 68. He was mentioned over in the Ideas for 2017 thread.

8 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Basil Gogos, an American illustrator who did portraits of movie monsters which appeared on the Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, has died aged 68. He was mentioned over in the Ideas for 2017 thread.

That was me who mentioned him. :) He's my 12th hit. Sad that he's gone. :(

• Like 1

American Artist Jasper Johns (b.1930) will not be travelling from New York to London for the opening of a major retrospective of his work at the Royal Academy. One of the curators said he is a very private person and he is 87.

Pakistani artist Tassaduq Sohail was admitted to Civil Hospital, Karachi in a critical condition and was shifted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) on Tuesday.

He was brought from Shifa International Hospital, Islamabad, to Karachi today, according to details. However,  he does not have any family members attending on him at the hospital and hence the doctors do not have access to his medical history.
SC

"Glamorous" sculptress Daisy Boyd found dead at 28 after a break-up:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4959292/River-Cafe-diamond-girl-Daisy-Boyd-dead-aged-28.html

She had friends in high places, and her former fiancée was a multi-millionaire. She was in a psychiatric clinic.

Linda Nochlin, a celebrated art historian whose feminist approach permanently altered her field, died on Sunday at her home in Manhattan. She was 86.

Her family said the cause was cancer. At her death she was the Lila Acheson Wallace professor of modern art emerita at the New York University Institute of Fine Arts.

Professor Nochlin earned a place of honor in both art-historical and art-world circles in January 1971 with a groundbreaking essay whose very title, “Why Have There Been No Great Women Artists?,” threw down a gauntlet.
SC

3 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Bill Heine, journalist, presenter and creator of The Headington Shark, suffering from terminal cancer. 

0603_shark9.jpg

Is that a single home?  Sure looks like a row of homes.  If the latter, I could read all the twisted pretzel logic and legalese and mental gymnastics wherein this shark thingy could remain, and none of it would make a lick of sense.  Thus....I'm left to believe it's a big long single home.  Even then, that shit wouldn't fly in America.  I live across the street, you just destroyed MY aesthetics and more importantly, my property value on resale.  Who wants to live by a 25' fish?  No one....and thus it would come down in haste.
(PS: I saw the Wiki article and footnotes, and they talk about safety to the people...a pressing matter...and being OK it could stay.  What about the ^^^ I spoke of?  Doesn't that matter in the U.K.?)
SC

It's one house which is part of a row of similar small houses, known as terraced houses.

The shark is awesome.  I wouldn't mind living near a house with a shark on the roof.

https://goo.gl/maps/567h2pGDaT52

• Like 1

On 11/13/2017 at 23:40, Toast said:

It's one house which is part of a row of similar small houses, known as terraced houses.

The shark is awesome.  I wouldn't mind living near a house with a shark on the roof.

https://goo.gl/maps/567h2pGDaT52

Local council, who tried to demolish The Headington Shark, now considering giving it listed status.

Hopefully if they decide to, they do it within the chap's lifetime.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

Local council, who tried to demolish The Headington Shark, now considering giving it listed status.

Hopefully if they decide to, they do it within the chap's lifetime.

Gawd I thought it'd been listed years ago - it should have been.

• Like 1