Cowboy Ronnie

Greatest Deaths Ever

There's another Diana deathopic on C5 tonight, which got me to thinking - what are the greatest ever deaths? The person probably needs to be a combination of very famous, with an unexpected, violent even, demise.

Answers on a post card please.

There's another Diana deathopic on C5 tonight, which got me to thinking - what are the greatest ever deaths? The person probably needs to be a combination of very famous, with an unexpected, violent even, demise.

Vic Morrow has always been one of my favorites, apart from the children.

Steve Irwin has most of those criteria covered, as does the other dead blonde who was killed in a car accident - Jayne Mansfield.

Unexpected and violent but sad Kirsty McColl. Desmond Llewellyn's death was no surprising but I didn't expect him to go in a car accident. I didn't realise that old people die in that manner more often than you'd think.

Going back a few years, but the mysterious hunting accident that put an end to the life of King William II in 1100 must be one the greatest deaths ever on British soil.

I suppose a comparable modern day scenario would be if The Queen's head was blown off during a pheasant shoot. B)

John Lennon is also covered by the above criteria. Elderly Scottish actor Ian Bannen also died, like Desmond Llewellyn, in a car crash.

I suppose there are quite a few of the very famous who have died prematurely.

Otis Redding and Jim Reeves ( very famous in their day) didnt find Air travel very agreeable.

One possible unexpected very famous death, with a twist, would have to be Glenn Miller who, despite folklore telling us that he is laying at the bottom of the English channel in a Light Aircraft actually met his maker in a Paris brothel.

Carol, apparently Vic Morrow died a hero, saving two children from certain death. Correct?

JFK, for me, is THE greatest ever death. I dont reckon that its trumpable.

Yes, darling, I just told them that!

Forget JFK, I reckon Rod Hull's topple from the roof whilst attempting to fix the aerial is the one death where everyone remembers where they were when they heard the news...

Cheers,

BHB

Thats because your fingers are quicker than mine sweetie, God they are soooo nimble!!!!! B)

Forget JFK, I reckon Rod Hull's topple from the roof whilst attempting to fix the aerial is the one death where everyone remembers where they were when they heard the news...

Cheers,

BHB

Yes, I was sitting at home with a cuppa and a Hobnob when I heard. I couldnt help thinking " If only he hadnt gone onto the roof with one hand still stuck up Emus arse..."

This one I do remember.

His collapse was slow, so slow. I actually thought that he was disappearing down a trap door as part of the act.

The terrible thing about it was you could clearly hear the " Death Rattle" while the audience laughed merrily away. B)

Sid James' death live on stage was another one. There weren't any television cameras around though

agreed with JFK, but if, for example, on September 11 the terrorists took control of Air Force One, with President GW Bush on board, and flew that into the World Trade Center, the world would be a safer place today that would arguably be a greater death.

agreed with JFK, but if, for example, on September 11 the terrorists took control of Air Force One, with President GW Bush on board, and flew that into the World Trade Center, the world would be a safer place today that would arguably be a greater death.

I agree it would, but that death would be greater because of its relevence today, for this generation.

JFKs death was on the back of a cold war and a game of Russian roulette with a Nuclear weapons and the world really was on the Brink of a Nuclear war.

But, yes I agree with your scenario Cowboy.

Some more candidates:

Jesus of Nazareth*

The crew of Columbia

Admiral Nelson

Bonny and Clyde

Donald Campbell

Gordon of Karthoum

Adolf Hitler

William Wallace

Francis Bacon (died from pneumonia caught after inventing the first frozen chicken -chilled it with snow)

* Has to be top death, surely.

Plus tons of saints: Catherine, Peter, Sebastian and a whole lot more.

Phil Drabble. For personal reasons.

Plus tons of saints: Catherine, Peter, Sebastian and a whole lot more.

i was going to mention how alot of the saints have had good/terrible deaths.

i can only think of catherine though, as its why "catherine wheel" fireworks are called so.

Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Well - it was great for Hitler. For all of 5 minutes...

Cheers,

BHB

Yes, I was sitting at home with a cuppa and a Hobnob when I heard. I couldnt help thinking " If only he hadnt gone onto the roof with one hand still stuck up Emus arse..."

Still my favorite Emu bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqr6OWPfLKU...ted&search=

Edward II

Although we all like to poke fun at Rod for his unfortunate "choice" of demise, let's not forget he was actually a great entertainer. I'd sooner have my kids watch EMU-TV than the majority of the cr*p that's dished out these days. It really was funny stuff, despite (or because of?) its lack of sophistication, as opposed to this phony unsophistication that we get nowadays, as in "we've spent millions of quid of the licence payers' / advertisers' money on this Saturday morning show, but we're going to deliberately pretend to be amateurs, just so we can get cheap laughs".

Albert Fish, I'm sure he short circuited the electric chair or something.

From historical leftfield I'd nominate Romulus Augustus the last Roman Emperor to rule from Rome. His passing led to the schism between Eastern and Western Europe, Orthodox and Catholic churches, the rise of the Ottomans and the current conflict between Islam and Western idealism. Possibly.