Homophobes with canabilistic tendancies certainly may find themselves in legal difficulties due to this kind of cross Atlantic linguistic confusion.

Typhoid Harry's second link is now invalid, but the first one, from the BBC, is interesting for two reasons; The BBC's original website coding and also that I haven't had faggots for ages.

I thought the original topic, the so called language barrier with our American cousins, had some merit but has withered on the vine. However with the inexorable rise of the 'Trump' I feel it could be interesting to discuss it once more.

Or am I just trumping in the wind?

The Americanism that really gets my goat is referring to a lavatory/toilet as a restroom/bathroom. If an American asked my mate 'can I use your bathroom' they'd get a shock because the bog isn't in there; it's in a room of its own.

• Like 2

The Americanism that really gets my goat is referring to a lavatory/toilet as a restroom/bathroom. If an American asked my mate 'can I use your bathroom' they'd get a shock because the bog isn't in there; it's in a room of its own.

Good point. And who goes into the shitter for a 'rest'. It's always an eventful and arduous task for me, nothing like a rest.

• Like 3

I've had people coming into work asking if they can use the bathroom. I've been known to respond that they'll be disappointed because there's no bath in there.

• Like 2

I've had people coming into work asking if they can use the bathroom. I've been known to respond that they'll be disappointed because there's no bath in there.

It took me a while to get used to the language here. Getting strange looks when asking for petrol instead of gas, jam instead of jelly etc

• Like 1

It took me a while to get used to the language here. Getting strange looks when asking for petrol instead of gas, jam instead of jelly etc

First time I went to the States I was sharing an office with 4 other Brits. We wrote English to US translations on the blackboard (generally along the lines of Mars = 3 Musketeers, Milky Way = Mars etc). Didn't take long for the Americans to start adding to it.

First time I went to the States I was sharing an office with 4 other Brits. We wrote English to US translations on the blackboard (generally along the lines of Mars = 3 Musketeers, Milky Way = Mars etc). Didn't take long for the Americans to start adding to it.

I did that with the wife. Matching the U.S. version of a chocolate bar to the U.K. equivalent. I think I put on 20 lbs just from trying all the different chocolate bars here.

• Like 1

I did that with the wife. Matching the U.S. version of a chocolate bar to the U.K. equivalent. I think I put on 20 lbs just from trying all the different chocolate bars here.

I put on a similar amount by a. eating out most nights and b. living off the contents of the vending machines on those nights I didn't.

I put on a similar amount by a. eating out most nights and b. living off the contents of the vending machines on those nights I didn't.

I lost a similar amount from the after effects of eating a Hot Pocket from a vending machine when working late one day. They are not good.

When I went to the US with work I put onloads of weight because they served Hot Chocolate in all the meetings.

When I went to the US with work I put onloads of weight because they served Hot Chocolate in all the meetings.

What, no doughnuts?

Yo nigga, if they say jam instead of jelly that's fucked up. They are distinct items. Jelly is the liquid gelatinous byproduct only whereas jam includes pieces of the actual fruit (pulp and/or seeds). You be callin jam 'jelly' you fucked up in da fuckin head. Wtf does a Limey call that stuff what doesn't have pulp/seeds in it, or are their processors too fucking lazy to extract dat shit outta there? If so we can send dem some Smuckers to put up on the shelf adjacent to that Marmite horseshit.

(And now a nicer version of that same sketch)...

'Jam instead of jelly? What would they call the liquid preserves that contain no pulp/seeds, cuz to my knowledge that's the difference.'

[cut to nun]: "I preferred the dirty version."

• Like 1

Or am I just trumping in the wind?

Dunno, it's a nice bit of resurrection, though. :evil2:

Re: candy bar discussion:

The best candy bar EVVVAH was something we Yanks called a Marathon Bar (yes I know it's a different thing over there). Sadly, thanks to people having dental work ripped outta their skulls, they were taken off the market here. After Al Gore invented the Internet I was lamenting the Marathon bar one day and discovered they EXIST---in Britain under the guise of Curly Wurly!!! For that reason alone we will remain a second world country to our forefathers nation across The Pond.

SC

Presuming it's made of decent chocolate and caramel (it's a Cadbury product, so...), have y'all eaten one of these? The BEST! Who among you will ship me a box?

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/walk-the-candy-aisle/curly-wurly-marathon-bar

I've not had one of these in donkey's years.

• Like 1

Re: candy bar discussion:

The best candy bar EVVVAH was something we Yanks called a Marathon Bar (yes I know it's a different thing over there). Sadly, thanks to people having dental work ripped outta their skulls, they were taken off the market here. After Al Gore invented the Internet I was lamenting the Marathon bar one day and discovered they EXIST---in Britain under the guise of Curly Wurly!!! For that reason alone we will remain a second world country to our forefathers nation across The Pond.

SC

Presuming it's made of decent chocolate and caramel (it's a Cadbury product, so...), have y'all eaten one of these? The BEST! Who among you will ship me a box?http://www.oldtimecandy.com/walk-the-candy-aisle/curly-wurly-marathon-bar

pity he couldn't ban guns.

Cat, you can still get Curly Wurlys. I believe they tend to be sold in the supermarket as they're classed as "retro" sweets along with wagon wheels and penguins.

• Like 1

What, no doughnuts?

They would have served donuts, not doughnuts.

What, no doughnuts?

They would have served sweet bagels.

These are doughnuts:

doughnut.png

What, no doughnuts?

These are doughnuts:

doughnut.png

Ha! Some days (like last Wednesday), they spoil us by having both

What, no doughnuts?

These are doughnuts:

doughnut.png

I'll go along with donuts, but sweet bagels? Never heard of them (until now). Dunkin' Sweet Bagels just doesn't have the same ring (no pun intended).

I'll go along with donuts, but sweet bagels? Never heard of them (until now). Dunkin' Sweet Bagels just doesn't have the same ring (no pun intended).

What I mean is the Americans call them donuts but to my way of thinking they're just bagels with a sweet (as opposed to savoury) topping.