Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2012

Masao Yoshida - apr 14 1914 died may 23 1996?

Or someone else?

The death of Edwin Morgan means that Jack Ramsay and Shih Ming Teh are the only men left standing from my cup winning 2008 DDP team. I know the competition ends at the end of the year, but it has been nice keeping an eye on the former prodigies from my squad, watching most of them go on to achieve what I knew they were all capable of, even if they didn't manage to find the back of the net while playing for me.

I was wondering if any team entered in DDP history has ever eventually achieved the clean sweep?

I'm on to it...

The recent death of Patricia Dunn means that every pick from my 2009 team is now dead (even if one of them did die in 2008!).

I'd love to know if there are any deadpools out there which run for longer than a year? :scratchhead: Perhaps I'll invent one to co-incide with the Olympics.

So what you could do with, is game that starts on the hour of the opening ceremony in 2012 runs for four years and ends as the Rio 2016 Olympic games opens... say an average hit ratio of one a month = list of 48 standard names, and at least two ex-olympic competitors, but no more than two team members from any one country. Four jokers and scores that are based on a gold silver bronze medal system. Each month the next new event starts. A single unique winner gets a gold medal, multiple scores by the various team owners only gain a silver medal, however double or more scores for a player in a single month gain gold medals for each hit. Bronze medals are awarded to the top twelve most popular picks, thus mass avoidance of the same old obvious names.

So what you could do with, is game that starts on the hour of the opening ceremony in 2012 runs for four years and ends as the Rio 2016 Olympic games opens... say an average hit ratio of one a month = list of 48 standard names, and at least two ex-olympic competitors, but no more than two team members from any one country. Four jokers and scores that are based on a gold silver bronze medal system. Each month the next new event starts. A single unique winner gets a gold medal, multiple scores by the various team owners only gain a silver medal, however double or more scores for a player in a single month gain gold medals for each hit. Bronze medals are awarded to the top twelve most popular picks, thus mass avoidance of the same old obvious names.

I would disagree with the "no more than two team members from any one country". Not everybody has a database of 500 odd names...

To gain an accolade of "Olympic champion" means some serious thinking. Most those who fly by here also go to the Derby Dead Pool and that's into a list of about 2400 people, let alone my old list of 1700 names.

Interesting to have viewpoints of other members list beforehand. Gary Carter was an unfamiliar name so looked him up. Mets player so should have known as I'm thinking going to a game some day. Brain tumours are tricky, his were detected early and althought aggressive and malignant were promptly treated and reduced in size from daiagnosis in May to reported in Aug to be only 20% of the mass. So it sounds like he should be fully mended by now. Question is... Risk putting a recovered guy in your team, or chance your arm that the cancer will be victorious over the next 12 months?

Carter was on the shortlist for my DDP team, but I left him out because I was unsure he'd get the required obit.

Annoyingly 3 people died between writing up my team and sending it in requiring last minute changes - obvious picks mind - and since I've sent it in, another one of them has gone and bitten the dust. Thank goodness for the 3 subs rule.

Wont be publishing who is on it till January 1st though, as some of the names have been relatively quiet on here best as I've seen, and there is the off chance that everyone else has forgotten about them (stop laughing at the back there) - every little helps! :D

I entered my theme team a week or so ago.

I haven't bothered entering my normal team yet because of the Etta James soap opera.

I keep swearing internally every time someone bumps the Etta James thread in the last few days. It's been that kind of a month.

I keep swearing internally every time someone bumps the Etta James thread in the last few days. It's been that kind of a month.

You and me both. I just know she'll kick the bucket just before the New Year's ball drops.

Yeah, I'm gonna be the shittiest NYE house party guest because I'll just be refreshing Twitter on my iPhone every ten minutes dreading the news.

That and my crippling social insecurity, I mean.

Just sent in my Low Countries theme team: Minions of Xuleneb.

regards,

Hein

I'm just about ready to send in my theme team today. Again along the line "has anyone seen Mike Hunt" this time featuring

Linsay Lohan for her high profile "Playboy" spread. All that extra dosh will buy her lots of drugs...

Hoping at least one score next year...

I'm about ready to unleash the talent. But a few malingerers - like Etta James - will keep them in the stable for another 24 hours at least.

Think we might drop Lee Kerslake this year, unique pick status notwithstanding, rumoured to be "better."

You and me both. I just know she'll kick the bucket just before the New Year's ball drops.

I'm hoping she'll be another Lou Rawls personally.

Well, that's every single possible combination of "months to live", "days to live", "battling pancreatic cancer" and "fight against a terminal illness" put through Google, and every single newspaper scoured for possible hints at which sportsmen have terminally ill parents that might cause them to miss games. My team's now complete. Four journalists in it, not that I'm bitter about my career path or anything.

Arf! all I got from that was reports about Al Megrahi that were over a year old. 6.gif

My theme team is made up of people who have been appointed to the Order of the British Empire. I submitted my team about a week ago, and it didn't strike me until now that it may have been a good idea to wait until the 31st December...when the New Years Honours are revealed. What a tit...

I'll bet they squeeze in a bunch of last minute have-an-honour-before-you-die folk... :P

Might not be as bad as you think Windsor. By and large the nominees are expected to be able to turn up and get their awards and the ceremonies are weeks/months away yet.

Well, it's on its way. Team The Grey Horde has just entered DDPMMXII.

regards,

Hein (who hopes that a certain singer keeps breating another 33 hours)

according to this

"T

he Grammy winner's health has improved since Monday"

Knowing my luck, she'll be up in bed eating biscuits by the end of next week since I added her to my list.

Well, that's every single possible combination of "months to live", "days to live", "battling pancreatic cancer" and "fight against a terminal illness" put through Google, and every single newspaper scoured for possible hints at which sportsmen have terminally ill parents that might cause them to miss games. My team's now complete. Four journalists in it, not that I'm bitter about my career path or anything.

That's not bad considering that the press can be notoriously quiet about their own people's health, unless they blab about it like Sue Carroll did!

That's not bad considering that the press can be notoriously quiet about their own people's health, unless they blab about it like Sue Carroll did!

It's the sole benefit of having a bunch of hacks as friends on Facebook. In between the repeated hawking of their own wares there's the occasional deathbed update.

Hahaha I was thinking of doing the exact same thing!