Lady Die

Crew Of USS Enterprise

Wow that's a terrible decline in the last 6 months. He looked old in the Audi advert with Zach Quinto but now in a wheelchair suffering with COPD, heck.

It grows worse and worse: now they are blatantly ripping off the Dark Knight Rises' promotional poster: http://www.denofgeek...tar-trek-poster

Is the artist for the two posters the same?

No idea but, at the time, people noticed that all of these posters were... just a little similar....

ZZ5A8DACE8.jpg

Now William Shatner is photographed in a wheelchair but don't get too excited it was because of an accident. Interesting Betty White photo as well. Don't many will be picking Bill above Leonard for 2015.

I had no idea Shatner was 83. I thought he was in his 70s

It grows worse and worse: now they are blatantly ripping off the Dark Knight Rises' promotional poster: http://www.denofgeek...tar-trek-poster

Is the artist for the two posters the same?

No idea but, at the time, people noticed that all of these posters were... just a little similar....

ZZ5A8DACE8.jpg

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanderer_above_the_Sea_of_Fog

• Like 1

Guest Carl Rae Jepsen

What will be a sadder day for virgins of the world?  When Spock dies or when Doctor Who ends

What will be a sadder day for virgins of the world? When Spock dies or when Doctor Who ends

Oh, Doctor Who for me, definitel- WHOOPS. :blush:

• Like 2

Shatner was in my part of the world for a comic book convention on the weekend. He is quite plump but, other than that, looks a picture of health for his age (allowing for botox and his wig.)

What will be a sadder day for virgins of the world? When Spock dies or when Doctor Who ends

They're both licensed characters who've been played by more than one actor and part of very lucratice franchises, so the demise of either would be sad for more than virgins. It'd probably come about because global financial collapse had rendered their respective franchises worthless.

That's a logical argument, right?

They're both licensed characters who've been played by more than one actor and part of very lucratice franchises, so the demise of either would be sad for more than virgins. It'd probably come about because global financial collapse had rendered their respective franchises worthless.

I think Virgin were quite sad when their Doctor Who book franchise ended.

• Like 1

... Except that Doctor Who has been axed before (admittedly when it was a lot less lucrative) and the BBC isn't meant to be profit-oriented is it?

Likewise, Trek went through the doldrums a few times (it was nearly canned after Star Trek V bombed) and was put on hiatus for a long time after the last two Next Generation films underperformed too.

Admittedly, though, these franchises just keep coming back eventually with "reboots" or "reinventions".

Rumour has it that both Shatner and Nimoy are well enough that they will be appearing in a scene together in the next Star Trek film, due to be filmed next year for a 2016 release date: http://screenrant.co...illiam-shatner/

Using dilithium powered Zimmer frames, no doubt. :wheelchair:

regards,

Hein

• Like 3

Rumour has it that both Shatner and Nimoy are well enough that they will be appearing in a scene together in the next Star Trek film, due to be filmed next year for a 2016 release date: http://screenrant.co...illiam-shatner/

Using dilithium powered Zimmer frames, no doubt. :wheelchair:

regards,

Hein

Shatner and Nimoy are also both well enoughto be doing a Volkswagen commercial it seems: http://www.trektoday.com/content/2014/09/german-volkswagen-campaign-features-trek-actors/

As someone notes in the comments section, it is interesting to see two Jewish actors doing work for a company that had close links with Hitler. Ah, the lure of money...

• Like 1

Bloody Hell! Now, Stephen Collins, the bloke who played Decker in Star Trek: The Motion Picture, has supposedly confessed on tape to being a child molester:

https://www.tmz.com/...d-investigation

Sounds like he "merged" with more than just V'Ger.... :(

Police confirm a complaint has been filed: http://ktla.com/2014...ed-molestation/

EDIT: On the Daily Mail site too: http://www.dailymail...hild-abuse.html

and another TMZ report: https://www.tmz.com/...on-victim-wife/

Kirk shafted Decker for the role of captain of the Enterprise in TMP. It would seem, in turn, that Decker went around shafting kids...

FWIW, on his role in Star Trek, Collins notes that

"People keep saying, “Oh, I just saw you in Star Trek” and it just drives me crazy because, while it’s a serviceable performance and it works in the context of the movie, there’s no shade, no nuance, and I want to scream whenever I see it."

Source: http://www.startrek....lks-first-movie

Meanwhile, Trekkies aren't exactly known for taking things lightly, so the reaction to the news on a few Trek noticeboards has been interesting. Mods have basically been shutting down the discussions on the allegations fairly quickly and some Trekkies are swearing they will never watch The Motion Picture again.

"People keep saying, “Oh, I just saw you in Star Trek” and it just drives me crazy because, while it’s a serviceable performance and it works in the context of the movie, there’s no shade, no nuance, and I want to scream whenever I see it."

Meanwhile, Trekkies aren't exactly known for taking things lightly, so the reaction to the news on a few Trek noticeboards has been interesting. Mods have basically been shutting down the discussions on the allegations fairly quickly and some Trekkies are swearing they will never watch The Motion Picture again.

I'm a massive Trek fan and I'll never watch The Motion Picture again because: A - it's overly long and B - when I went into a Parisian cinema in 1980 to watch it, it was in English with French subtitles.

I went to see it with my married sister when it first came out and we went to the pub for a quick drink before going home. Together with her husband, they owned a shop and a known gossipy customer came in the following day to inform my brother-in-law that she had seen his wife in the pub with a man. He replied along the lines of - they're brother and sister and I don't think their relationship is incestuous. She left without saying another word.

• Like 2

I'm a massive Trek fan and I'll never watch The Motion Picture again because: A - it's overly long and B - when I went into a Parisian cinema in 1980 to watch it, it was in English with French subtitles.

I went to see it with my married sister when it first came out and we went to the pub for a quick drink before going home. Together with her husband, they owned a shop and a known gossipy customer came in the following day to inform my brother-in-law that she had seen his wife in the pub with a man. He replied along the lines of - they're brother and sister and I don't think their relationship is incestuous. She left without saying another word.

It is definitely "the poor man's 2001" but I prefer it to the "militaristic Star Fleet" in the Meyer films. I think it is a film you can immerse yourself - don't worry about the plot, just enjoy the special effects and the orchestral score. The Enterprise, for one thing, has never seemed more real. I don't think I have ever seen better model work, even on the original Star Wars films. You feel as if it really is a giant spaceship capable of traveling between the stars.

I don't get point B. Did you just want to watch it in English without the distraction of the subtitles or would you prefer it to be overdubbed in French? FWIW, I watch French films with English subtitles all the time, since I am monolinguistic but love French cinema.

One interesting reading of the film I came across is that it is all a metaphor for sex and birth. The gleaming white Enterprise shoots out from the phallic dry dock, enters the ova-like V'Ger cloud and, at the end, a new life is born...

I forgot to mention the Stephen Collins scandal even made our 6 O'Clock news last night, even though the show he is most famous for these days, (something called Seventh Heaven), doesn't even screen in Australia...

Meanwhile, Nichelle Nichols was on a panel at some convention the other day and she is starting to look her age now:

dst3sunpanels-36.jpg

It is definitely "the poor man's 2001" but I prefer it to the "militaristic Star Fleet" in the Meyer films. I think it is a film you can immerse yourself - don't worry about the plot, just enjoy the special effects and the orchestral score. The Enterprise, for one thing, has never seemed more real. I don't think I have ever seen better model work, even on the original Star Wars films. You feel as if it really is a giant spaceship capable of traveling between the stars.

I don't get point B. Did you just want to watch it in English without the distraction of the subtitles or would you prefer it to be overdubbed in French? FWIW, I watch French films with English subtitles all the time, since I am monolinguistic but love French cinema.

One interesting reading of the film I came across is that it is all a metaphor for sex and birth. The gleaming white Enterprise shoots out from the phallic dry dock, enters the ova-like V'Ger cloud and, at the end, a new life is born...

I find The (slow) Motion Picture almost unwatchable even though it is directed by Robert Wise who brought us The Sound of Music and The Day The Earth Stood Still. It would probably be a good attempt at being a 'realistic' science fiction movie but it is a million miles away from the 'camp' feel of the original series. Meyer's films are closer to the original and are excellent sf adventure movies. Worse than the Motion Picture is ST:V.

I find The (slow) Motion Picture almost unwatchable even though it is directed by Robert Wise who brought us The Sound of Music and The Day The Earth Stood Still. It would probably be a good attempt at being a 'realistic' science fiction movie but it is a million miles away from the 'camp' feel of the original series. Meyer's films are closer to the original and are excellent sf adventure movies. Worse than the Motion Picture is ST:V.

Yes, i prefer the realistic over the camp myself most of the time (1960s Batman being the big exception.) I am not a fan of the original 1960s Trek television series at all.

The "office politics" between Kirk and Decker can be a bit depressing and too-real-life after a while though, although I imagine that is the kind of person Kirk would be like if he were real.

I will have to part company with you on Meyer though. Aside from the overt militarism in Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country, I thought the latter's murder mystery was very poorly done. The analogies to the collapse of the Soviet Union are that film's only saving grace.

Yes, objectively Star Trek 5 was terrible but... I like aspects of it, at least until it all falls apart at the end when they reach the "God Planet." I think Shatner did have a good eye for cinematography, such as the opening scene where Spock's brother comes riding in on horseback to the bloke digging holes. Had he been trained as a director from a young age, he might have made something of that career path. (Obviously, the much commented bad editing in the elevator scene is a mess though but, hell, there are lots of editing mistakes in the original Star Wars, too, such as the way R5-D4 moves back and forth.)

The opening scene of Kirk trying to climb the mountain (and failing) is nicely symbolic of the search for God that is the theme of the story.

The campfire scenes also help develop the characters of Spock, McCoy and Kirk more than nearly any other scene in any of the previous films (not that that is saying much.)

Overall, though, the film can't overcome that awful "Why does God need a starship?" line and the twee ending. If you want a science fiction film that deals with spiritual subjects, you are better off watching Tarkovsky's Solaris, 2001 or, yes, even Star Trek: The Motion Picture....

P.S. - FWIW, I also think that Wise's Day th Earth Stood Still is one of the truly great SF films to come out of the United States.

• Like 1