Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Yeah I was JamesB

Might as well reveal my theme team as it's no big deal, I guess - it's not the most educated of groups of guesses. It's not all F1

Robert Manzon

Jose Froilan Gonzalez

Geoff Duke

Murray Walker

Ron Tauranac

Jack Brabham

Maria Teresa de Filippis

Erik Carlsson

James Garner

Stirling Moss

Guy Ligier

Bernie Ecclestone

Dan Gurney

Tony Brooks

John Surtees (joker)

Mauro Forghieri

AJ Foyt

Jean-Pierre Beltoise (I must tip my hat to you for that suggestion)

Frank Williams

Julian Bailey

Subs:

Jackie Stewart

Chris Irwin

Vic Elford

• Like 1

Guest OoO

Interesting... I wouldve gone for Tony Gaze, Ken McAlpine, Tony Crook and Leslie Marr, all of which wouldve got obits for non racing related thimgs but its a decent team. Well done on picking Carlsson

The 50s is a big gap in my F1 knowledge. I wasn't sure who would be obit-worthy and who wouldn't. I'm guessing Manzon will as he was a good driver and is the oldest around at the moment (I think). De Filippis will be on account of being the first female F1 driver. The rest are all fairly "mainstream" figures

Guest American Sports Fan

I read a very enjoyable book earlier this year called "Go Like Hell" that was about the war in sports car racing between Ford and Ferrari in the sixties. It had a ton of interesting info that I didn't know about, and the author conducted extensive interviews with the survivors from that era that really tied everything together, among them Gurney, Foyt, and (especially) Surtees, as well as other greats like Phil Hill and Carroll Shelby who have passed on since the book came out a few years ago. Definitely worth a read if you're a fan of that era of motorsports, IMO.

Sorry for the aside, but seeing those names on your list just jogged my memory, so I thought I'd mention it.

Sorry for the aside, but seeing those names on your list just jogged my memory, so I thought I'd mention it.

Not at all I'll give it a read. I just love the GT40

Watched a very enjoyable prog last night on the BBC about Stirling Moss . Was it a repeat ?...dunno when it was filmed...but Id give the Great Man at least another 10 years....cracking bloke !

Hearing that former Forti team boss Guido Forti has died at the age of 72

Hearing that former Forti team boss Guido Forti has died at the age of 72

Looks like you're right

Sir Frank Williams' wife, Lady Virginia Williams, has died after a battle with cancer

Sir Frank Williams' wife, Lady Virginia Williams, has died after a battle with cancer

Saw her on the beach once, couldn't have been anyone else...those tyre tracks on her belly were quite distinctive!

Tomas Enge, former F1 driver, has chronic cardiovascular disease. He's 37 later this year and would get a UK obit, I'm sure.

This came up with his failed drugs test, didn't it? What's the prognosis?

Sean Emmett - former Superbikes hero - mgiht be worth watching. In trouble in Dubai after his wife fell to her death from a balcony, booze involved. Banned from leaving Dubai until 30 April; that won't help his current mental state.

Saw her on the beach once, couldn't have been anyone else...those tyre tracks on her belly were quite distinctive!

Surely must have been rain tyres.

Just herd it said that Emerson Fittipaldi's dad has died aged 92.

Who's Sterling Moss? Any relation to Sir Stirling Moss? ;)

That said, you need a young English chap who has thinning hair and slightly larger ears to play him, who isn't a poofter. Wayne Rooney, step forward for your film debut...