Godot

Cartoonists And Animators

Posted two days ago in my DP, figured news was old hat, but the ball has been dropped I see.

According to a Facebook post from his brother, comics professional Paul Kupperberg, (Marvel etc) veteran artist Alan Kupperberg has passed away of thymus cancer at the age of 62.

SC

http://www.newsarama.com/25266-artist-allen-kupperberg-passes-away-at-62.html

Michael C Gross, creator of the Ghostbusters logo amongst over things has given an interview to the Daily Telegraph. He is on my DDP team as he has terminal cancer, however the article doesn't touch on this at all and tells us that he is now working in California as a nature photographer.

• Like 2

Michael C Gross, creator of the Ghostbusters logo amongst over things has given an interview to the Daily Telegraph. He is on my DDP team as he has terminal cancer, however the article doesn't touch on this at all and tells us that he is now working in California now as a nature photographer.

Very interesting. Both articles even descirbe him as gravelly voiced and "gruff". Same author?

This is from a guy in my DP who is a writer and reviewer for horror magazines. I've posted a couple from him earlier this year.

"Ok..I do not have a news article on this because it was literally announced within the last hour. But I have heard it directly from his family members whom i am friends with on Facebook, Warren Murphy has passed away at the age of 81. Murphy was the co-creator and long time writer of the Remo Williams, The Destroyer series. The series comprises over 150 books as well as comic magazines from marvel comics, a TV Pilot and the 1985 Big screen film Remo Williams the Adventure Begins. One of the highlights of my writing career was interviewing Murphy a few years back in what he told me was the longest interview he had ever done. Since then I kept in contact with him and his sons Brian and Devin over Facebook. in fact i have a signed advance copy of one of the last Destroyer books that he wrote. RIP"

I am posting this as fact, simply look for a link tomorrow.

SC

Brad Anderson, creator of Marmaduke series of cartoons has died at 91. http://comicbook.com/2015/09/06/marmaduke-creator-brad-anderson-passes-away/

Brad Anderson, creator of Marmaduke series of cartoons has died at 91. http://comicbook.com/2015/09/06/marmaduke-creator-brad-anderson-passes-away/

That's a pretty big series in the industry. Surprised it's so far under the radar.

RIP

SC

• Like 1

This is from a guy in my DP who is a writer and reviewer for horror magazines. I've posted a couple from him earlier this year.

"Ok..I do not have a news article on this because it was literally announced within the last hour. But I have heard it directly from his family members whom i am friends with on Facebook, Warren Murphy has passed away at the age of 81. Murphy was the co-creator and long time writer of the Remo Williams, The Destroyer series. The series comprises over 150 books as well as comic magazines from marvel comics, a TV Pilot and the 1985 Big screen film Remo Williams the Adventure Begins. One of the highlights of my writing career was interviewing Murphy a few years back in what he told me was the longest interview he had ever done. Since then I kept in contact with him and his sons Brian and Devin over Facebook. in fact i have a signed advance copy of one of the last Destroyer books that he wrote. RIP"

I am posting this as fact, simply look for a link tomorrow.

SC

Just following up with an actual obit.

SC​

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/18/books/warren-murphy-writer-and-creator-of-remo-williams-dies-at-82.html?_r=0

Died in 2013 but it appears this is a new article today. If I'm wrong.... *shrugs*

Reporters Without Borders is stunned to learn that well-known Syrian cartoonist Akram Raslan died in detention in 2013, less than a year after his arrest in October 2012, and that his death was almost certainly the result of having been tortured by the Syrian security services.
Rumours of his death have been circulating online in recent days and now the sources consulted by Reporters Without Borders say it has been confirmed.
In July 2013, shortly before his death, he was secretly put on trial by a terrorism court in a trial with no witnesses and no defence lawyers, according to Cartoonists Rights Network International.
​SC

• Like 1

Michael C Gross, creator of the Ghostbusters logo amongst over things has given an interview to the Daily Telegraph. He is on my DDP team as he has terminal cancer, however the article doesn't touch on this at all and tells us that he is now working in California now as a nature photographer.

Very interesting. Both articles even descirbe him as gravelly voiced and "gruff". Same author?

Gross busted.

• Like 3

Gross busted.

He was planned to be on my 2016 DDP cancer-themed team. But that's okay, I'm starting to think I should do just a regular team and that's it.

Gross busted.

Qualifying DDP Obit for the two teams who had him. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-3323006/Michael-Gross-created-Ghostbusters-logo-dies-70.html

This one slipped by us a couple weeks ago.

Linus Maurer, a cartoonist and illustrator whose old friend Charles Schulz borrowed his first name for Charlie Brown's sidekick in his "Peanuts" comic strip, has died. Maurer died Jan. 29 at age 90 in Sonoma, California. He had suffered from Parkinson's and heart trouble.

SC

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/national/obituaries/story/2016/feb/05/mwho-gave-name-peanuts-linus-dies-age-90/348783/

Guest guest

Speculation here about the health of comic artist Frank Miller.

CeCZhktWIAA2D5l.jpg

Frank Miller looking a very rough 59 at the Batman vs. Superman premier. Almost certainly has some form of cancer.

For reference, this is him from 3 years ago:

600full-frank-miller.jpg

Given the mainstream success of his work (Sin City, 300, Dark Knight Returns, ect.) he's certain to get a UK obit.

Anatol Kovarsky, an artist and illustrator whose sense of whimsy and the absurd made him a fixture at The New Yorker from the late 1940s through the 1960s as both a cartoonist and a cover artist, died on June 1 at his home in Manhattan. He was 97.

He penned at least 40 covers for the New Yorker Magazine.

SC

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/arts/design/anatol-kovarsky-new-yorker-cartoonist-for-decades-dies-at-97.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

• Like 1