CarolAnn

Baseball

You can't talk Baseball on these forums. It's like talking to the wall. The UK really needs to become apart of American sports. Canada has done it, Japan probably will, there sport is just so boring. It's all football. And something called cricket. I don't even know what that is. That might be the game of the week at the nursing homes.

"Yankees and Mets, Yankees and Mets" That's all I've been hearing for weeks. To hell with New York! Go Dodgers! Go Tigers!

Well the Los Angeles Dodgers are only one game away from being eliminated. Talking NL the Mets are going to the championship series. But can anyone believe the Yankees! Joe Torre doesn't deserve this. George must have some headache. Personally I would like to see a Subway Series this year, but if A - Rod don't start doing what his quarter billion dollar f****n contract is, and if Randy can't beat a young team like this, it won't happen.

[unaware that a certain moderator is a die-hard Dodgers fan, Banshee's Scream totally stepped in it. - TH]

The Yankees have collapsed. Horror reigns in my house - well, my husband at least. Joe Torre is probably completely mortified, and Steinbrenner may have the big one.

Too bad he's not on the list.

• Like 1

Yay Detroit! Hulluva game!

It's official. The Detroit Tigers are going to the championship series. Now... The LA Dodgers get swept.

Yay Detroit! Hulluva game!

It's official. The Detroit Tigers are going to the championship series.

I guess we can forget about the subway series this year :banghead:

I guess we can forget about the subway series this year :D

Joe Torre might be on his way out. George doesn't seem very happy. ;)

This is the Near Misses thread people, not the sodding baseball thread. :D

No offense, but shut the F**k up. Please.

No offense, but shut the F**k up. Please.

Sod off retard.

This is the Near Misses thread people, not the sodding baseball thread. ;)

Oh, it's baseball they're talking about? Didn't have a F*****g clue what all the above meant. Who the F**k is Torre or Randy? A-Rod? :D

I thought Subway Series was a special sandwich offer.

Can't see what all the fuss is about anyway. It's just rounders tarted up.

Oh, it's baseball they're talking about? Didn't have a F*****g clue what all the above meant. Who the F**k is Torre or Randy?

I thought Subway Series was a special sandwich.

Can't see what all the fuss is about anyway. It's just rounders tarted up.

Exactly, rounders is a girls game, hardly a proper sport at all.

Sod off retard.

Tempus, I just told you don't take any offense. I enjoy talking about baseball and so does a few others, I get good humor out of some members, there silence since they haven't got a clue what were talking about.

Sod off retard.

Tempus, I just told you don't take any offense. I enjoy talking about baseball and so does a few others, I get good humor out of some members, there silence since they haven't got a clue what were talking about.

Then start a sodding baseball thread then, and post it there.

Sod off retard.

Then start a generic baseball thread, like MPFC was forced to start a football thread because his mentioning of Carlisle in every post pissed everyone off.

That also wouldn't be such a bad idea from a DL point of view because then you can all talk about old or ill baseballers for future DP selection.

All I know about baseball is the following - Babe Ruth, Joe di Maggio, Monty Stratton, Hank Aaron and the World Series is a complete misnomer as there's only two nations represented.

All I know about baseball is the following - Babe Ruth, Joe di Maggio, Monty Stratton, Hank Aaron and the World Series is a complete misnomer as there's only two nations represented.

Baseball is everywhere, but the UK. Pretty much.

Everywhere apart from Europe, Africa and the asian subcontinent. The only truly global game is football (soccer).

Everywhere apart from Europe, Africa and the asian subcontinent. The only truly global game is football (soccer).

Who gives a F**k if it's a global game. If you had a poll among the world, American sports would dominate. There is absolutely no doubt about it.

Who gives a F**k if it's a global game. If you had a poll among the world, American sports would dominate. There is absolutely no doubt about it.

You sir are a grade 'A' f*ckwit. Football would dominate, as it is global sport, you only need to look at the TV viewing figures for the World Cup to see that.

How come only the US & Canada are represented in the World Series then? That I've never understood. If something is a "World" series, it should involve the World.

I don't think baseball IS played EVERYWHERE. It has been dropped by the International Olympic Committee for being too American.

Also, only 8 countries played Olympic baseball in 2004. Yep, 8.

So, not quite pretty much everywhere.

But it seems jolly enough on TV. I think I can see why Americans would like it.

But I watched a game once in St. Petersburg, Florida, when on holiday. Think it was Pittsburgh Pirates(??) on a pre-season tour? I found it terribly long & boring. Too many stops, not enough action or pace. I enjoyed (and still do) gridiron & ice hockey, however so I'm not anti-american sports. I don't like cricket either, so maybe it's just the whole set-up.

Tempus, apologies for extending this discussion, but hopefully, even if BS won't start a thread, someone will & this will all get moved.

Well, lets look at the global viewing figures for sporting events shall we? About as close to a poll as we can get.

The following table is cited from an article in the Media Guardian on

Dec 23, 2004, titled "Euro final tops TV sports league":

1. Football: Euro 2004 final Portugal v Greece 153 million

2. Olympic Games: opening ceremony 127 million

3. Olympic Games: closing ceremony 96 million

4. American football: Super Bowl 95 million

5. Olympic Games: men's 100m metres 87 million

6. Olympic Games: men's 200m freestyle swimming 66 million

7. Formula one: Monaco grand prix 59 million

8. Football: Champions League final Porto v Monaco 56 million

9. Basketball: NBA finals 25 million

10.= Tennis: Wimbledon women's singles final 21 million

10.= Tennis: Wimbledon men's singles final 21 million

12. Cycling: Tour de France final stage 16 million

13.= Football: FA Cup final Millwall v Man Utd 9 million

13.= Horseracing: Grand National 9 million

15. Rowing: University Boat Race 5 million

Initiative collected data from 57 major TV markets, accounting for

over 90% of TV households globally.

I would say a mix of both. Maybe more American-ish when not an Olympic year, perhaps, but not dominating - definitely not. Baseball not in the top 15, by the way.

How come only the US & Canada are represented in the World Series then? That I've never understood. If something is a "World" series, it should involve the World.

There are many other leagues. Looking into the future I think Major League Baseball will expand and let other teams that possibly even play for other countries into the game. For now steroids has been the main objective.

I don't think baseball IS played EVERYWHERE. It has been dropped by the International Olympic Committee for being too American.

I don't remember hearing that it was to American? It just didn't fit the the criteria of Olympic Games. As I said, I think the sport will evolve in the future.

Also, only 8 countries played Olympic baseball in 2004. Yep, 8.

Is eight countries not alot? Does eight countries not lift your eye brow? Does that not turn you on? Let me ask you a question, how many countries should have played then?

But it seems jolly enough on TV. I think I can see why Americans would like it

But I watched a game once in St. Petersburg, Florida, when on holiday. Think it was Pittsburgh Pirates(??) on a pre-season tour? I found it terribly long & boring.

To be perfectly honest, sometimes it does get boring because baseball is known to be a slow sport. You told me that you went to a Pirates game, well there owner doesn't put sh*t into his team, the guy doesn't spend money so they can't be good. It's a young team with not much experience. I went to a Mets\Pirates game this year and they actually got shut out.

Tempus, apologies for extending this discussion, but hopefully, even if BS won't start a thread, someone will & this will all get moved.

Tempus will live. If somebody wants to start a thread, 'Talk US Sports' i'm for it.

You sir are a grade 'A' f*ckwit. Football would dominate, as it is global sport, you only need to look at the TV viewing figures for the World Cup to see that.

If it was Football VS American sports talking overall, soccer loses.

Now could a Moderator kindly move all the Baseball shite out of the Near Misses thread to here.

Talk American sports here. Please ladies and gentleman ignore this annoying dull alcoholic who doesn't have any respect for American sports.

Talk American sports here. Please ladies and gentleman ignore this annoying dull alcoholic who doesn't have any respect for American sports.

All so called American sports were invented over here Baseball (rounders), American Football (Rugby for cissies). All you've really got is Basketball and that was invented by a canadian.

All so called American sports were invented over here Baseball (rounders), American Football (Rugby for cissies). All you've really got is Basketball and that was invented by a canadian.

Was it the 1984 Olympics in LA or the 1996 in Atlanta where Japan beat USA in the baseball tournament?

• Like 1