Paul Bearer

Fort William Football Club

Don't buy a house somewhere prone to flooding...

No sympathy for those that do.

That might force them to stop building them in places like that, and adding to the problem.

Aye, no laughing matter to those who were told the new flood defences - installed since the 2005 floods - were safe to the point of protecting against a 'once in 100 years' event.

I don't know how such probabilities are calculated and from which statistics, but as a person who lives 5 m below sea level behind dikes that are designed to resist floods that happen once in a thousand years, I'm not laughing. According to a 2008 Delta Committee report "a regional sea level rise of 0.65 to 1.3 m by 2100, and of 2 to 4 m by 2200 should be taken into account."

ETA: I suppose the same is true for the eastern coast of Britain.

Don't buy a house somewhere prone to flooding...

No sympathy for those that do.

That might force them to stop building them in places like that, and adding to the problem.

What if...

You buy a house years ago with flood plain protection and the like them some tossers tear it up and the surrounding woods for more houses?

Either -

1 - Tell us you have sympathy for those people

2 - Post your full postal address

1/ Nope, they bought badly.

2/ Don't have one.

1/ Nope, they bought badly.

2/ Don't have one.

If a place is defended against floods and people remove protection by building on soakaways and felling trees how did you buy badly in the first place?

Because it requires protection at all.

British workmanship is, shite.

Ergo, bought badly.

I'm miffed the insurance pays out, as that inflates other people's polices.

Because it requires protection at all.

British workmanship is, shite.

Ergo, bought badly.

I'm miffed the insurance pays out, as that inflates other people's polices.

So those smug bastards in Lockerbie were asking for it living under the main air corridor from the UK to USA, then?

• Like 1

Yes.

The streets down the road from mums (we were up a hill) were prone to flooding. When a relative went to see one a few years back, they asked about flood protection and the agency told them the houses were protected from floods. Luckily, they knew better due to local knowledge.

We could be ridiculous here and point out that if Faslane goes up, I guess we're all to blame for being born in the wrong country.

True, but the Forth bridge thing just goes to show the old 'live where you work, work where you live' adage holds water as well.

Grumpy fuckers want it all ways.

If you're going south to north across the Firth of Forth and the Forth Road Bridge, Kincardine Bridge and Stirling Bridge are buggering up your journey, just park up and go to the Soo Hoose (Carronbridge Inn) in Carron Road Falkirk and have a few pints of heavy.

I've been to scores of pubs all over Scotland and none of them matches this one for down to earth friendliness. I walked in for my second visit three weeks after my first and was greeted by the barmaid with 'hello again hen, pint of heavy is it?'

• Like 2

Lol, because nobody else had been there inbetween :D

The streets down the road from mums (we were up a hill) were prone to flooding. When a relative went to see one a few years back, they asked about flood protection and the agency told them the houses were protected from floods. Luckily, they knew better due to local knowledge.

We could be ridiculous here and point out that if Faslane goes up, I guess we're all to blame for being born in the wrong country.

And if an asteroid wipes out the planet it's our fault for incarnating on this sorry shit heap in the first place.

I trust Charon has a pleasant Christmas safe in the presence of those who love him unconditionally!

:) , nope.

Haven't seen my family in a decade or more (bar one trip to tell my sister summat of import).

Though strangely, it'll probably be the second crimbo day since 2006 that won't be working. So I'll get hoored on a cheap red/Guinness combo, to wash down my Xmas lunch of 2 packs of high tar tabs, and post shite/abuse people for no reason, on the interwebby .

Same as most other days then...

Nope. Forth Road Bridge was switched on when I passed it.

Forgot which account you logged on with?? sherlockzk0.gif

And worse: I had no internet connection in the hired Ford Fiesta I drove.

So are Cat O'Falk and Hein the same bloke? :ph34r:

So are Cat O'Falk and Hein the same bloke? :ph34r:

No.

Full time today Deveronvale 4 Fort William 1.

Rothes lost by the odd goal in three to high flying Nairn; did Nairn have an off day or are the only team below the Fort suddenly remembering how to play fitba?

Anybody looking for. Job?

SHFL Secretary/Treasurer

A vacancy has arisen for the prestigious and demanding post of Secretary/Treasurer for the Scottish Highland Football League.

Anyone interested in applying for this post should contact [e-mail address removed]

Anybody looking for. Job?

SHFL Secretary/Treasurer

A vacancy has arisen for the prestigious and demanding post of Secretary/Treasurer for the Scottish Highland Football League.

Anyone interested in applying for this post should contact [e-mail address removed]

What's the largest amount of cash the treasurer would be expected to calculate in his/her head?

More jobs going at the fort.

FORT WILLIAM FC are looking to expand their coaching team...

WANTED...Assistant Manager to assist Manager Ally Ewen with FWFC first team. Coaching/Management experience desirable but would consider player/assistant manager.

WANTED...First team coach to assist coaching staff with twice weekly training/matchdays. Previous experience preferred but not essential.

WANTED...First Team Goalkeeping Coach to take twice weekly training and attend matches. Previous experience preferred but not essential.

If you are interested in any of the above positions,please contact Marie giving full details of playing and coaching career to date!

More jobs going at the fort.

FORT WILLIAM FC are looking to expand their coaching team...

WANTED...Assistant Manager to assist Manager Ally Ewen with FWFC first team. Coaching/Management experience desirable but would consider player/assistant manager.

WANTED...First team coach to assist coaching staff with twice weekly training/matchdays. Previous experience preferred but not essential.

WANTED...First Team Goalkeeping Coach to take twice weekly training and attend matches. Previous experience preferred but not essential.

If you are interested in any of the above positions,please contact Marie giving full details of playing and coaching career to date!

I think top of the pile of CVs would be one J Mourinho.