maryportfuncity

Crashing Companies

Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus closing up the tent after 146 years.

SC

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/ringling-bros-circus-to-close-after-146-years/484519980

Kids today have other interests and so many other fun things to choose from. Parents dislike the animal abuse issues as well. Surprised circuses like this one have lasted so long. Not high-tech enough for many younger people.

I honestly thought circuses were a thing that died out in the 80s, so I was surprised to see the news.

Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus closing up the tent after 146 years.

SC

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/ringling-bros-circus-to-close-after-146-years/484519980

Kids today have other interests and so many other fun things to choose from. Parents dislike the animal abuse issues as well. Surprised circuses like this one have lasted so long. Not high-tech enough for many younger people.

I honestly thought circuses were a thing that died out in the 80s, so I was surprised to see the news.

That style of circus has been dying out since the 80s, people are more inclined to spend a fortune watching Cirque Du Soleil style circuses, or rather just be a spectator to the political circus.

SChttp://www.kiro7.com/news/local/ringling-bros-circus-to-close-after-146-years/484519980

That style of circus has been dying out since the 80s, people are more inclined to spend a fortune watching Cirque Du Soleil style circuses, or rather just be a spectator to the political circus.

Along that point, I took my daughter to see this circus two years ago and it was maybe $15-25/per. No Lions jumping through fire like the olden days.

Cirque Du Soliel is like $80+ each and there's no way I would ever spend that. I don't understand a single one of you who would/have.

SC

Following a lengthy struggle with financial insolvency, gaming peripheral maker Mad Catz has formally ceased all operation. The company’s directors and officers have all resigned, and its assets will be liquidated. The company that spent nearly three decades pumping out PC and console gaming gear is no more.

SC

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Following a lengthy struggle with financial insolvency, gaming peripheral maker Mad Catz has formally ceased all operation. The company’s directors and officers have all resigned, and its assets will be liquidated. The company that spent nearly three decades pumping out PC and console gaming gear is no more.

SC

Good to see you back. I like how you add additional information to your obituaries.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Good to see you back. I like how you add additional information to your obituaries.

ever since the site overhaul, it refuses to remember my login info and it wears me out creating new (i.e. the same) pw everytime I want to enter something.  Easier just to spend my efforts elsewhere.  Hopefully it is fixed or if it was a problem exclusive to my account then I have resolved it.  I have my doubts.  I do miss all your posts and personalities....even the angry people lol.

SC

• Like 4

Well, I do hope you are able to stick around.

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

ever since the site overhaul, it refuses to remember my login info and it wears me out creating new (i.e. the same) pw everytime I want to enter something.  Easier just to spend my efforts elsewhere.  Hopefully it is fixed or if it was a problem exclusive to my account then I have resolved it.  I have my doubts.  I do miss all your posts and personalities....even the angry people lol.

SC

Nope...it just told me that my user name isn't one that is recognized by DL website, so I had to go ask for new pw for second time in 5 hours.  Worse, I no sooner created the new pw than I signed onto DL on my iPhone and typed in the username pw and it said it wasn't recognized.

Looks like my hiatus may continue.   I ain't got time for dat!  Is an Admin around who could discuss this matter off-page? 

SC

One of Australia's "big three" commercial television stations, Channel 10, goes into voluntary administration after years of financial turmoil:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-14/ten-enters-volutary-administration/8617078

(The Lachlan Murdoch in the article is, of course, Rupert's son.)

Now if only the even more shit Channel 9 would follow them into oblivion...

3 hours ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

One of Australia's "big three" commercial television stations, Channel 10, goes into voluntary administration after years of financial turmoil:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-14/ten-enters-volutary-administration/8617078

(The Lachlan Murdoch in the article is, of course, Rupert's son.)

Now if only the even more shit Channel 9 would follow them into oblivion...

Any chance of them taking neighbours and home and away with them?

• Like 1

On 14/06/2017 at 15:34, the_engineer said:

Any chance of them taking neighbours and home and away with them?

History of the station:  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-15/ten-networks-voluntary-administration-is-history-repeating/8621610

Study of its demise (youth not watching free-to-air television anymore, etc):  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-15/channel-10-demise-reflects-industry-challenges/8618622

On 2017-6-15 at 17:40, Davey Jones' Locker said:

I have been reading a bit more about the history of Channel 10, including Rupert's machinations:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Ten

@Vinegar Tits and the other Prisoner fans on here will be interested to know it is the station that first aired the show.

Low-cost airline Ryan Air is apparently cancelling thousands of flights. They pay their employees starvation wages and are losing their more profitable routes. Good-bye!! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theoldlady said:

Low-cost airline Ryan Air is apparently cancelling thousands of flights. They pay their employees starvation wages and are losing their more profitable routes. Good-bye!! 

Ryanair an Irish airlines with a Jewish hospitality.

• Haha 1

Looks like play time is over.

TOYS R US just filed for chapter 11 protection. Usually the first step towards bankruptcy.

Big one....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whitehouse said:

Looks like play time is over.

TOYS R US just filed for chapter 11 protection. Usually the first step towards bankruptcy.

Big one....

Yep, kids today seem to want ipads and online things. Physical toys, except sports equipment, are on their way out. The times, they are a changing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, theoldlady said:

Yep, kids today seem to want ipads and online things. Physical toys, except sports equipment, are on their way out. The times, they are a changing.

We were talking about that--the demise of physical toys.  My conclusion is, based on my massive population of 1, that my daughter at least enjoyed the My Little Ponies stuff and Frozen stuff and now into dolls/Barbies.  However in a couple years that should be done (say 9 years old).  So I suspect a market exists for her, but tend to agree boys likely to pass on the physical toys like that these days.  Anyway, I can see how it has come to this.....throw in Amazon etc and it really compounds the problems that every brick & mortar store has to deal with.

SC

• Like 2

The evidence of my own experience is that kids LOVE toys. Can't get enough of them, black hole of money. The issue is Toys R Us sell over priced SHITE.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

We were talking about that--the demise of physical toys.  My conclusion is, based on my massive population of 1, that my daughter at least enjoyed the My Little Ponies stuff and Frozen stuff and now into dolls/Barbies.  However in a couple years that should be done (say 9 years old).  So I suspect a market exists for her, but tend to agree boys likely to pass on the physical toys like that these days.  Anyway, I can see how it has come to this.....throw in Amazon etc and it really compounds the problems that every brick & mortar store has to deal with.

SC

As a point of interest, our Norwegian unemployment office has sent out a report that those working in stores, here in Norway, as a career, should go get an education in more modern fields since retail jobs will decrease here by 10,000 in the next 5-10 years. (We only have a population of a little over 5 million people, so that is a lot considering our unemployment is usually from 75,000-100,000 people in the last few years.)  Edit: Just checked it. We are now at a little over 91,000 without work due to the oil crisis that hit us in 2015. The engineers are starting to return to work now though, so this should go down.

• Like 1

Citizens income is going to come in most countries at some point this century, most likely. Purely on necessity. So many jobs are going to be automated or die away, and the people still need to eat...

Or we can have the French revolution, everywhere, of course.

I think it was Mao's advisor who said it was still too soon to tell if the French revolution had been a success. :lol:

Moods of Norway has just announced they are bankrupted. They made clothes for Norwegians that were good for the Norwegian climate/weather. All this Thanks to the crappy Asian imports and the high, NON-competive prices here. Sad indeed for the employees.

UK publisher J Salmon, a family-owned firm which has been publishing postcards and calendars since 1880, will close this December.

The reason? It says instead of penning a card, people are putting photos up on Facebook or Instagram or using WhatsApp to show friends and family at home just how much fun they're having.  

Brothers Charles and Harry Salmon, the fifth generation of the family to run the firm, said the popularity of social media had had a huge impact on the business.

People are also tending to take shorter holidays, meaning they are likely to have arrived home long before their postcards, the brothers - joint managing directors of the firm - said.

As a result the business was no longer viable, they said.

I recently mailed someone a cheque on a Friday, and we rigged down the oil rig and went home on Monday and I arrived before the cheque.  Fahkin US Mail.  Anyway, yet another layer of problems they surely encounter.

SC

• Sad 1