Lady Die

The Death Penalty

Do you agree with the Death Penalty?  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Meanwhile, Nebraska abolishes the death penalty. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-32910693

How Pyrrhic.

The old joke:

'My grandfather invented the potion that chased all the elephants out of Nebraska.'

'There's no ELEPHANTS in Nebraska!'

'See how well it worked!'

SC

I agree with the death penalty and I think the argument that it should stop becuase of the small percentages of innocent people is ridiculous might as well close prisons since some innocent people are inside there. In south america they don't have the death penalty so a serial killer named Pedro Lopez got freed and did he stop. No, he is wanted for more murders now. Just giving my opinion

• Like 1

Guest Guest

I agree with the death penalty and I think the argument that it should stop becuase of the small percentages of innocent people is ridiculous might as well close prisons since some innocent people are inside there. In south america they don't have the death penalty so a serial killer named Pedro Lopez got freed and did he stop. No, he is wanted for more murders now. Just giving my opinion

"might as well close prisons since some innocent people are inside there"

errrm, prisoners can be released, but dead folks cant. thats the difference

Was hoping this thread was bumped due to the news that Pakistan is to hang a paraplegic while he's still in his wheelchair.

Get Boris in for the task..

they still have spent many years in prison and had their name termished if you think a person who was convicted of criminal offences get a job easily your wrong
  • Like 1

they still have spent many years in prison and had their name termished if you think a person who was convicted of criminal offences get a job easily your wrong

What, so your logic goes "he won't get a job easily when he gets out, might as well kill him"???

• Like 1

What, so your logic goes "he won't get a job easily when he gets out, might as well kill him"???
no my point is it ridiculous to get rid of the death penalty because of the small and ever decreasing chance the person is innocent and also at the current rate the death penalty is working. If the person is innocent they can be saved years before they are on the chair
  • Like 1

Guest Guest

damien echols done really well sense his release tho

no my point is it ridiculous to get rid of the death penalty because of the small and ever decreasing chance the person is innocent and also at the current rate the death penalty is working. If the person is innocent they can be saved years before they are on the chair

In a perfect world, your argument might carry some weight; but we don't live in a perfect world; miscarriages of justice still happen for a variety of reasons. You admit yourself that there's a small chance innocent people are convicted. (What your country of residence btw?).

My opinion is that although a tempting prospect as a punishment to some abhorrent crimes such as murder rape and child molestation the death penalty is not the best solution.If you want someone to suffer for their crimes why kill them?Dead people can`t suffer after all.

• Like 2

Liking your own posts should be a capital offence.

• Like 1

My opinion is that although a tempting prospectas a punishment to some abhorrent crimes such as murder rape and child molestation the death penalty is not the best solution.If you want someone to suffer for their crimes why kill them?Dead people can`t suffer after all.

Yeah, and if some people are saying we should dispose of them to save space and money, they are wrong. If numerous appeals processes, safeguards etc. are in place like in the US, and if they spend decades on death row, like there (in maximum security prisons) - they cost more, not less.

Of course, if you just shot them dead after the verdict in a basement like they did in the former Soviet Union in the 30s (40s), it would cost less, but it would also feel less civilized.

In a perfect world, your argument might carry some weight; but we don't live in a perfect world; miscarriages of justice still happen for a variety of reasons. You admit yourself that there's a small chance innocent people are convicted. (What your country of residence btw?).
Ireland
  • Like 1

My reasons against the death penalty are Derek Bentley, Ruth Ellis and Timothy Evans.

• Like 1

My opinion is that although a tempting prospectas a punishment to some abhorrent crimes such as murder rape and child molestation the death penalty is not the best solution.If you want someone to suffer for their crimes why kill them?Dead people can`t suffer after all.

Yeah, and if some people are saying we should dispose of them to save space and money, they are wrong. If numerous appeals processes, safeguards etc. are in place like in the US, and if they spend decades on death row, like there (in maximum security prisons) - they cost more, not less.

Of course, if you just shot them dead after the verdict in a basement like they did in the former Soviet Union in the 30s (40s), it would cost less, but it would also feel less civilized.

So that's why the yanks kill people without trial in other countries ? Because it's more civilised ?

So that's why the yanks kill people without trial in other countries ? Because it's more civilised ?

No, obviously, because it's easier, cheaper, faster and most importantly safer for their troops (as a drone can do the job, but it can't really arrest people).

I guess their reasoning is that American citizens are usually entitled to a fair trial, but even they forfeit this right if they are acting against American interests as enemy combatants and terrorists. Other citizens are not mentioned in their constitution so they don't really count anyways.

I'm not saying that I approve of this, but these people are liquidated rather than executed.

My reasons against the death penalty are Derek Bentley, Ruth Ellis and Timothy Evans.

Aye, but three decent movies as a result, not a complete waste, then.

• Like 4

No, obviously, because it's easier, cheaper, faster and most importantly safer for their troops (as a drone can do the job, but it can't really arrest people).

I guess their reasoning is that American citizens are usually entitled to a fair trial, but even they forfeit this right if they are acting against American interests as enemy combatants and terrorists. Other citizens are not mentioned in their constitution so they don't really count anyways.

I'm not saying that I approve of this, but these people are liquidated rather than executed.

Exactly.....God it'll be good when the fuckers fall. Mon Isis, China, Iran and the soviets.

And in the Death Penalties defence I give you

Derek Batey

Ruth Madoc

Chris Evans...

Your children will thank me.

And in the Death Penalties defence I give you

Derek Batey

Ruth Madoc

Chris Evans...

Your children will thank me.

Although Derek Batey is already dead having died 2 years ago

Electric chair if I mind right...

Having said I personally don`t think the death penalty is the best punishment I don`t particularly care if some arsehole rapist or murderer in Texas gets the chair.Just though I would clear that up so none of you thought I was a hippy do-gooder pacifist or summat :P