Cowboy Ronnie

African Leaders - Despots and Democratic

Oooh, an African dictator who tried to slip under our radar: apparently former Central African Republic president Andre Kolingba died a few days ago.

I seem to remember we had a separate topic for African dictators, somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Forget my head next.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Oooh, an African dictator who tried to slip under our radar: apparently former Central African Republic president Andre Kolingba died a few days ago.

I seem to remember we had a separate topic for African dictators, somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Forget my head next.

regards,

Hein

Here it is!

Here it is!

Thanks a lot, bro.

Two posts moved from The Dead Of 2010.

regards,

Hein

President Umaru Yar’Adua of Nigeria, who has been mentioned before, is believed to have been diagnosed with a rare incurable condition called Churg-Strauss Syndrome. He was flown out of the country to Germany last weekend after "suffering swellings all over his body".
President Umaru - obviously still suffering from that intriguing swelling-disease - is urged to resign. There are fears that his frequent absence will destabilize Nigerian government.
In a statement, Information Minister Dora Akunyili said the cabinet had met and had "unanimously resolved" that the president "has not been found incapable of discharging his functions".

She said: "Council wishes to inform all Nigerians that all organs of government are functioning and that government will continue to deliver."

Make that: all organs except Umaru's heart, liver and kidneys.
A delegation of politicians are travelling to Saudi Arabia to check on the condition of their ailing President.Some Nigerians aren't convinced by his BBC interview.

According to a BBC News article:

Mr Yar'Adua went to Saudi Arabia for treatment in November last year and, despite returning to Nigeria recently, has not been seen in public.

It seems to me that Mr Yar'Adua is actually dead, but nobody noticed.

regards,

Hein

It seems to me that Mr Yar'Adua is actually dead, but nobody noticed.

regards,

Hein

I was just looking at the history of the Radio 3 chap - Gillett and tracked the same illness to our Nigerian friend. I had not updated his numbers for sometime and on the back of this I've pushed him into my top 50 list ready for next year (if he lasts that long)

Do you think I could get him to adopt me as his son and I get to inherit his $8.5m?

Umaru Yar'Adua's successor is vice-president Goodluck Jonathan. He has not only a quite remarkable name, his clothing style could not be less presidential. He looks as something between a rapper and a blues star.

Another jewel in the Nigerian crown then.

I've just pushed Hosni's numbers again and he shoots up to number 29 in my list - in my book that's 2012 DDP not 2011!

Godfrey Binaisa dead at 90.

President of Uganda for just short of a year following the overthrow of Idi Amin. He was subsequently removed from office himself following a military coup.

Tunisia's President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali has stepped down after 23 years in power, amid widespread protests on the streets of the capital Tunis.

As I understand it, he's fled the country. Elderly exiled dictators (he's 74) have a tendency to cark it soon. Will Ben Ali see 2012?

BTW, I congratulate the People of Tunisia with their fine victory.

regards,

Hein

Tunisia's President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali has stepped down after 23 years in power, amid widespread protests on the streets of the capital Tunis.

As I understand it, he's fled the country. Elderly exiled dictators (he's 74) have a tendency to cark it soon. Will Ben Ali see 2012?

regards,

Hein

Wikileaks have published a diplomatic cable which suggests that deposed President Ben Ali has been suffering from prostate cancer since 2003.

regards,

Hein

Wikileaks have published a diplomatic cable which suggests that deposed President Ben Ali has been suffering from prostate cancer since 2003.

Ben Ali now reportedly in a serious condition following a stroke.

regards,

Hein

Do you suppose that having power was keeping the likes of Ben Ali and Mubarak alive. They have been gone for less than a month and they are both now said to be seriously ill.

regards,

Hein

Do you suppose that having power was keeping the likes of Ben Ali and Mubarak alive. They have been gone for less than a month and they are both now said to be seriously ill.

In a coma:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02...?section=justin

I suppose their hubris is so huge that they can't accept the fact that their people have rejected them, leading to their health declines.

sorry i messed that up. He's dead now according to this http://updatednews.ca/2011/02/18/deposed-t...n-saudi-arabia/

one of Ben Ali family stressed that the deposed Tunisian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali in the case of a coma two days ago, which is now lying at a hospital in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, after suffering a stroke in the brain, pointing out that his condition was serious.

:huh:

I'd imagine being dead is a very serious condition.

In a coma:

I suppose their hubris is so huge that they can't accept the fact that their people have rejected them, leading to their health declines.

And

Hmm, no serious news sites have the story yet, the few that (according to Google) have, all claim their source as "[a]ccording to reports from France 2".

Interestingly, France 2's website's most recent article (au Français) about Zine El Abidine Ben Ali still has him in a coma.

I think reports about his death belong in the Rumours Department, but I´d love the idea that mr Ben Ali took only 36 days to prove me right.

regards,

Hein

In a coma:

And

Hmm, no serious news sites have the story yet, the few that (according to Google) have, all claim their source as "[a]ccording to reports from France 2".

Interestingly, France 2's website's most recent article (au Français) about Zine El Abidine Ben Ali still has him in a coma.

I think reports about his death belong in the Rumours Department, but I´d love the idea that mr Ben Ali took only 36 days to prove me right.

regards,

Hein

Tunisia want his extradition. So he is probably still alive...

In a coma:

And

regards,

Hein

Tunisia want his extradition. So he is probably still alive...

I'm detecting a trend here. Mubarak and Ben Ali's assets were frozen and within days both slip into comas.

Ange-Félix Patassé

The President of the Central African Republic between 1993 and 2003 has died aged 74.

Laurent Gbagbo, not too thrilled at having to surrender. But, given the presence of UN troops in the area, it's probably done a lot for his ability to keep breathing.
  • Like 1