Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2012

Right folks, it's that time of year again...

The rules...

and here's an excerpt from the email I'll be sending as to the procedure:

All I want is a team name, an email address, 20 nominations and a maximum of 3 subs. Make sure you have 20 different names and they all alive at the time you send the email out. Make sure the spelling is correct (although as we know from Mr. Al Megrahi, there are interpretations of names) and if the choices are obscure, that I am made aware of who they are (no need to explain who Nelson Mandela is for example, but if it's his brother-in-law or something, I probably do need to know). Also bear in mind there are some celebrities with similar or even identical names (Phil Taylor the darts player and Phil Taylor the ex-footballer for example). All this makes my job a lot easier.

Also put your subs in order so if one choice snuffs it, then I'll immediately replace them with the first sub on the list. I will inform you of this change when it happens.

Remember: unless indicated, the nominated joker is the one at the top of your list!

There is no reason to change the joker unless he/she carks it before December 31st, when I’ll ask you to nominate one. When you make the choice of joker, you have to stick to it. The same goes for the rest of the team. If you are re-entering under a different name, let me know what the previous name was for my records. If it's a theme team, let me know that it is, even if seems obvious looking at the list. You can enter theme and normal teams at your leisure, but put them as separate emails please, makes it better for me to count back on the ones I've received if there are any issues. There is a maximum number of 3 teams per individual (can be any combination of normal and theme teams) although I know in some cases that certain emails will contain many teams as part of a "syndicate" of different teams.

Good luck everybody!

Huzzah! Well done on taking it on for another year, TMIB and I am looking forward to all the new little things on the site. You've taken it a lot further than I would've done had circumstance allowed me to keep it running.

I only hope I have a year more like 2010 than this year, though.

Huzzah! Well done on taking it on for another year, TMIB and I am looking forward to all the new little things on the site. You've taken it a lot further than I would've done had circumstance allowed me to keep it running.

I only hope I have a year more like 2010 than this year, though.

And there's more to come as I've done a few bits 'n pieces that will be revealed next year. Hopefully the process isn't going to be as problematic as last years...

Epic work but I fear that the work load of handling 3 teams per entrant will be an emence job to undertake. How about limiting the third team squad can only contain those people already listed on the DDP this last year?

If too many come in then I might introduce an absolute limit, but most people will just send the one team....(he hopes)

This'll be my first year competing, so this is quite exciting. :)

Why did you change the symbol for unique picks :ghost5: ?

I'm hoping to enter the competition for the first time as well. I've drawn up a draft list but I think I might just sit on it for now and submit it closer to Christmas, just to see if anything changes.

I'm going to take a punt this year too. One question from one still a little wet behind the Deathlist ears - those with longer lists in their posts like Chunder above - are those lists purely for personal satisfaction?

I'm going to take a punt this year too. One question from one still a little wet behind the Deathlist ears - those with longer lists in their posts like Chunder above - are those lists purely for personal satisfaction?

All the lists over 20 names are usually either A) Lists for other Dead Pool competitions or B )Made just for fun.

I didn't. It's somehow different in the rules pages than in the teams/score pages. All it takes is a bit of re-coding and ghost will come back...

BTW could a mod change the sub-heading to have one less X please. Got carried away... Thanks!

MMXII - ah that's much better! :D

Just as clarity for 2012, and to quite possibly accidentally leak one of my prospective uniques: what's the rule on obituaries that appear behind the Times paywall?

Hmmm. If you have access to the page of the obituary, it could be possible to save it as a html document, ship it to me and then I'd add/link the document to the server...

So from what I understand, we can have two theme teams this year. To make the theme team league game more exciting Im guessing?

You can have either three normal teams, three theme teams, one theme team and two normal teams or one normal team and two theme teams...

You can have either three normal teams, three theme teams, one theme team and two normal teams or one normal team and two theme teams...

It should be one entrant one team. Any other system is stacking the odds against anyone who submits just one team. Counter argument is that anyone can submit three teams but why stop at three? Why not five? Theme team is OK but doubling or trippling up on normal teams smacks of cheating to me.

Im gonna do two themes. Having multiple normal teams takes the fun out of it. But it is 2012 you know.. lets make this a big year.

I'm giving this a shot for the first time. My rare abilities to keep folk alive in these things suggests I'll do rather badly.

I'm working on a Low Countries theme team. It's not at all easy to find picks who'll pass the obit requirements.

I also need a catchy name.

regards,

Hein

I'm working on a Low Countries theme team. It's not at all easy to find picks who'll pass the obit requirements.

I also need a catchy name.

regards,

Hein

De(ath) Lage Landen?

MIB I've emailed you with my new email address, sorry, forgot to update it when I changed. I've obviously missed all those update emails telling me I'm winning..........

I'm working on a Low Countries theme team. I also need a catchy name.
De(ath) Lage Landen?

Benefuxed?

Not bad. My best idea was along the lines of: below sealevel, below groundlevel.

I still have some time to think it over.

regards,

Hein

This Is A Low.

Incidentally, I'll be entering a wrestling-themed team in the DDP this year because I know how much MIB loves writing blurbs for pro-wrestlers.

Very generous TMIB and I'll be availing myself of the ONE normal and TWO theme option. Your self-less dedictation to dead pooling is much appreciated!