Sign in to follow this  
Davey Jones' Locker

June Flewett (A. K.a Jill Raymond, A. K. A. Lady Jill Freud)

(I wasn't sure whether to put this under Character Actors, Fringes of Fame or Authors so I thought, "Screw it" and created this new thread.)

It turns out that the girl upon whom C. S. Lewis modeled Lucy Pevensie in the Narnia books is still alive. Her name is June Flewett and she was born in 1927:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Flewett

There is no health information available but I presume she'd be a shoo-in for an obit as her other claims to fringe fame-dom are as follows:

1. She was a RADA-trained actress and theatre director and went under the stage name Jill Raymond.

2. Her husband, Clement Freud, was the grandson of Sigmund Freud and brother of Lucien Freud.

3. Her husband was also a mate of Kate and Gerry.

According to Wikipedia, Flewett was evacuated from London during the Blitz and took up residence and C. S. Lewis' house. He was already her favourite author but, apparently she was too dense to realise that the C. S. Lewis with whom she was boarding was THE C. S. Lewis that she admired so much... :rolleyes:

How interesting, I never knew that. She's the mother-in-law of Richard Curtis as well. Good interview linked from wikipedia.

I wasn't sure whether to put this under Character Actors, Fringes of Fame or Authors so I thought, "Screw it" and created this new thread.

There's always "Widow Shopping", but she's more noteworthy than that. Is there a thread for, say, "Muses and Inspirations"?

He was already her favourite author but, apparently she was too dense to realise that the C. S. Lewis with whom she was boarding was THE C. S. Lewis that she admired so much... :rolleyes:

I think that's a bit harsh. Given that he was known as Jack, and Lewis being a very common name, I think it's understandable that she didn't make the connection.