Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

The New Dunn...

What about Peter Sallis as new DL pet? I know he doesn't have any DL history but he's got that British institution sort of reputation, he's the last of original three men in Last of The Summer Wine and he always seemed older than he was when playing Clegg. He'll probably die tomorrow now.

If we have to replace Dunn (and, tbh, after reading the thread I'm leaning towards either retiring the #50 spot or just carrying on as if nothing had happened, a tribute the the military spunk that exemplified the Warmington-On-Sea Home Guard) then you need an actor who's been around for 50 years, is an integral part of British popular culture, has always "seemed" very old and probably has a good few years ahead of them. You could also throw in the fact that he, like Dunn, would be from a TV show where nearly everyone else has carked it.

So my suggestion would be...

tve10319-19690411-601.gif

Blakey? He's on my current DDP list ....

If we have to replace Dunn, then you need an actor who's been around for 50 years, is an integral part of British popular culture, has always "seemed" very old and probably has a good few years ahead of them.

Stephen Lewis has been in poor health for some years - he retired from LOTSW due to his health and then around the same time, suffered a seizure and crashed his car about 4 years ago. That was pretty much his last public appearance, so I wouldn't bank on him living for years and years...

i think the new number 50 should be zsa zsa,,,,,i mean she had last rites 2 years ago....

Keith Richards is yer man. He has dodged the Grim Reaper more times than Jimmy Carr avoided paying tax

A living leg end and could be on the list for years giving some mileage to the "Will he, wont he?" every year.

I'm loving this thread. Sallis looks another good contender to me, I think it important our contenders are at least able to wander down to the shops and the like. Blakey/Lewis, doesn't look so good. We could chuck in Derek Batey, Val Doonican and a few other fading telly types, though they don't strike me as characterful enough for the job.

If we put this to the vote I guarantee a higher percentage turnout than we'll get electing police commissioners on Thursday.

The reason why Clive Dunn was chosen as numero uno in the first place was because the committee, young, feckless and half-drunk at the student bar (I know because I've been in that situation myself!) assumed Dunn was ancient because he played an older character (he was of course just 66 at the time).

A similar assumption can't be made these days because of the access to information is more accessible. We know pretty much the age of anyone famous at the click of a button.

Dunn was an understandable misapprehension. That's hard to recreate in this business in these more knowing times...

• Like 1

The reason why Clive Dunn was chosen as numero uno in the first place was because the committee, young, feckless and half-drunk at the student bar (I know because I've been in that situation myself!) assumed Dunn was ancient because he played an older character (he was of course just 66 at the time).

A similar assumption can't be made these days because of the access to information is more accessible. We know pretty much the age of anyone famous at the click of a button.

Dunn was an understandable misapprehension. That's hard to recreate in this business in these more knowing times...

Half-right, at least :)

The way I remember it is: Firstly, Clive was always GR's man, from the original night at the Mandela till the day he died. He certainly suggested him, made sure he was written down and put on the list. (Actually, just about everyone written down on the original manuscript made the '87 list, except for a racehorse which had died earlier that day/week - why we were even suggesting dead horses does show how much booze had been consumed, I suppose).

Anyway, we may have thought he was older than he really was, but I'm sure we soon found out the truth so it doesn't explain why he kept making the list. Which was because, despite our protests, GR had this certain thing about Dunny and, being a stubborn kind of fellow, always insisted he get added. In the end the rest of us grew to accept, even relish, his inevitable place on the list. And when the DL turned into a website under GR's benevolent dictatorship, Dunn's position became virtually unassailable.

So you can see the History Of Clive was an organic process over time amongst friends, and no matter how many good 'replacements' there might be, its pre-internet nature means there can never be another in the same mould. I think some memorial would be nice though, and there are plenty of good ones on this thread, but just remember - GR doesn't really do democracy, and that's the way I like it. Uh-huh.

Finally, though I doubt they'll stick around, it was nice to see Clive's passing bring a few old faces back (and maybe a few new ones).

• Like 1

The way I remember it is: Firstly, Clive was always GR's man, from the original night at the Mandela till the day he died. He certainly suggested him, made sure he was written down and put on the list. (Actually, just about everyone written down on the original manuscript made the '87 list, except for a racehorse which had died earlier that day/week - why we were even suggesting dead horses does show how much booze had been consumed, I suppose).

Anyway, we may have thought he was older than he really was, but I'm sure we soon found out the truth so it doesn't explain why he kept making the list. Which was because, despite our protests, GR had this certain thing about Dunny and, being a stubborn kind of fellow, always insisted he get added. In the end the rest of us grew to accept, even relish, his inevitable place on the list. And when the DL turned into a website under GR's benevolent dictatorship, Dunn's position became virtually unassailable.

So you can see the History Of Clive was an organic process over time amongst friends, and no matter how many good 'replacements' there might be, its pre-internet nature means there can never be another in the same mould. I think some memorial would be nice though, and there are plenty of good ones on this thread, but just remember - GR doesn't really do democracy, and that's the way I like it. Uh-huh.

Finally, though I doubt they'll stick around, it was nice to see Clive's passing bring a few old faces back (and maybe a few new ones).

Yes, I can see that Dunn must have felt "right", the sort of chap you would have on a deathlist regardless of his age.

It's ironic that Dunn's passing has occurred in this week of all weeks as both the USA and China choose their leaders. The two different approaches mirror that of the DeathList and the Derby Dead Pool. Deathlist is China: it's top 50 by committee with a benevolent head of state. DDP's shameless rip-off that is the Drop Forty (25% hit rate folks) is US democracy at work.

I'm actually in the process of blowing the cobwebs of the DDP files and seeing who was the most popular picks in ages past. The records of team choices only really go back to 1998. I'm up to 2004 and the most popular picks were as follows:

1998: Pope John Paul II/ Queen Mother

1999: Pope John Paul II/ Queen Mother

2000: Ronald Reagan/ Queen Mother

2001: Queen Mother

2002: Ronald Reagan

2003: Ronald Reagan

2004: Ronald Reagan

Ronnie was the king, but of course he couldn't last forever...

Yes, I can see that Dunn must have felt "right", the sort of chap you would have on a deathlist regardless of his age.

It's ironic that Dunn's passing has occurred in this week of all weeks as both the USA and China choose their leaders. The two different approaches mirror that of the DeathList and the Derby Dead Pool. Deathlist is China: it's top 50 by committee with a benevolent head of state. DDP's shameless rip-off that is the Drop Forty (25% hit rate folks) is US democracy at work.

I'm actually in the process of blowing the cobwebs of the DDP files and seeing who was the most popular picks in ages past. The records of team choices only really go back to 1998. I'm up to 2004 and the most popular picks were as follows:

1998: Pope John Paul II/ Queen Mother

1999: Pope John Paul II/ Queen Mother

2000: Ronald Reagan/ Queen Mother

2001: Queen Mother

2002: Ronald Reagan

2003: Ronald Reagan

2004: Ronald Reagan

Ronnie was the king, but of course he couldn't last forever...

This current debate about the "New" Dunn is rather like the machinations and debates about a new king/queen. Is it the successors of the original list (the origin story) or will be the most suitable "type" of pick which is where the debate it at currently.

Of course it all boils down to what Grim will want and all this is enjoyable hot air as is the discussion about the other candidates on the list. I know as DDP host that if Thatcher drops dead on December 31st, apart from it being a pain the bollock adding all the substitutes, I will also know there will be another candidate who will hit the top spot by popular acclaim...

Guest DL-Fan

Deathlist favourites during the ages:

Clive Dunn (16 times on the list)

Queen Mother and Ronald Reagan (both 14 times)

Bob Hope (13 times)

Pope John Paul II. and Ronnie Biggs (both 12 times)

Barbara Cartland, Katherine Hepburn, Kurt Waldheim and Michael Foot (all 11 times)

Don Bradman, Alistair Cooke, John Mills, General Pinochet and Eli Wallach (all ten times)

and a bunch of eight people including Castro, K. Douglas and Niemeyer (R.I.P) were nominated nine times.

Alec Guinness is the person with the most nominations (seven) who was not nominated when he finally died. (Patrick Moore has the chance to beat this, if he dies before January 1st.)

Mathematically is Ronnie Biggs the new favourite.

BUT:

Andrea de Cesaris and Ozzy Osbourne would be a bit more woth to this honour. Both are survivors of the 1987 list, both have the chance, to beat Dunn's record and both look older than they are. (Sorry for Anna Wing, the only other left 1987-nominee.[i do not count Paul McCartney or Richard Starkey as "any one Beatle". George Harrison fulfilled this prediction in 2001.)

shouldnt it be someone that is expected to last a long time? Picking Anna Wing who is 98 years old seems more like a choice for a normal deathlist. Ozzy or Andrea are still relatively young and could be on for years like clive was. The reason he was kept on was his immorality correct? So if he was to be replaced it would have to be someone that constantly has been on the deathlist since the 80s and is still immortal and seems like they just keep on going. If noone can really fit the mold then i dunno how you can call them a replacement

shouldnt it be someone that is expected to last a long time? Picking Anna Wing who is 98 years old seems more like a choice for a normal deathlist. Ozzy or Andrea are still relatively young and could be on for years like clive was. The reason he was kept on was his immorality correct? So if he was to be replaced it would have to be someone that constantly has been on the deathlist since the 80s and is still immortal and seems like they just keep on going. If noone can really fit the mold then i dunno how you can call them a replacement

In all fairness, there's no real way to predict how long someone is going to live for. Besides, isn't the whole point of DL that the people on it aren't expected to live much longer?

Maybe there should be a poll and whoever has the most votes takes it.

ozzy i think is the best choice but there is no replacing dunn.

If I've read this right, it was an organic process originating during a discussion while the committee were half-drunk. So, to arrive at a suitable replacement the very least we need is another discussion where the participants are half drunk.

I'm game.

Anyone else?

• Like 1

Apart from the typo (you did mean 'immortality', yes?), I mostly agree with you. Except I wouldn't insist that candidates need to have been "constantly on the deathlist".

Rather than trying to replace Dunn, surely the 50th spot could be renamed 'Dunn's number' and then if an individual ends up making a number of appearances, they become his (almost) organic successor.

May I suggest that the person that insisted Dunn be on the list year after year be the new number 50?

Our very own GR!

Which then begs the questions: -

How old are you GR?

What is your current health status?

And can you change your own rules so that an obit is not required for the now very special number 50?

Regards

PP

Guest DL-Fan

Or Dunn stays on the list a a really "immortal" choice.

Bette Davis was nominated after her death as well as William Hartnell...

Or Dunn stays on the list a a really "immortal" choice.

Bette Davis was nominated after her death as well as William Hartnell...

As was Wilfred Brambell, I think it constitutes what's known as a 'mistake'

This might not necessarily be the best idea I've ever had but I'll throw it out there - how about a public vote to decide the 50th place? The Clive Dunn Memorial Poll. Could include various improbables like O'Sullivan, Ozzy, Keith Richards and De Cesaris to take the Clive Dunn spot for a year

Richards is a pretty good idea. After all, many argue that he is immortal.

However, I am a part of the 'let a new Dunn emerge' club. I would not be all opposed to retiring #50 for at least a year, even if it means skipping from #49 to #51 (there's an idea).

In all fairness, there's no real way to predict how long someone is going to live for. Besides, isn't the whole point of DL that the people on it aren't expected to live much longer?

Thats what made the dunn pick so crazy though he was just a random pick in 1987 when the science of the deathlist wasnt really perfected yet and it lasted for 25 years with him being on the list 16 of those. I think dunn after a while became the anti DL and was just put there out of tradition and not that he was likely to die. So its hard to replace someone like that. If he were to be replaced it would have to be someone that is likely to sit on the list for years I think and its hard to just pick that and be right about it.

<p>

<br />
<br />

shouldnt it be someone that is expected to last a long time?  Picking Anna Wing who is 98 years old seems more like a choice for a normal deathlist.  Ozzy or Andrea are still relatively young and could be on for years like clive was.  The reason he was kept on was his <strong>immorality </strong>correct?  So if he was to be replaced it would have to be someone that constantly has been on the deathlist since the 80s and is still immortal and seems like they just keep on going.  If noone can really fit the mold then i dunno how you can call them a replacement

<br />

<br />

Apart from the typo (you did mean 'immor<strong>t</strong>ality', yes?), I mostly agree with you.  Except I wouldn't insist that candidates need to have been "constantly on the deathlist".<br />

<br />

</p>

<p>Yea thats what i meant.  The point i was trying to make was the last few years he wasnt put on there because he was likely to die it was just like an automatic.  Im not sure he can be replaced so to say.  </p>