dead

1747 replies to this topic

#1381 Depor23

Morbid interest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

Ah, OK. In Australia, they're handing them out like they're going out of fashion. I think Steve Irwin got offered one and Peter Brock received one. Pretty sure Johnny Warren got one too.

#1382 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,241 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

Some people think Thatcher should because

1 - Longest serving 20th century Prime Minister and seen by some in the country as a great leader.

2 - She declared and won a war.

Still no Churchill and highly divisive in a recession to blow that much money on someone so hated by a fair section of the country. As for the war leadership, we'd have to consider the same for Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron on that basis. Major led us in a bigger conflict won more easily, so - arguably - he's a better bet than all the others, and nobody is suggesting him for state honours.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#1383 Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on 14 January 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

Still no Churchill and highly divisive in a recession to blow that much money on someone so hated by a fair section of the country. As for the war leadership, we'd have to consider the same for Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron on that basis. Major led us in a bigger conflict won more easily, so - arguably - he's a better bet than all the others, and nobody is suggesting him for state honours.

I agree.

This Mail article presents it as a done deal. It's undated but seems to be about four years old. Some interesting bits though

To date the only Prime Minister in the 20th and 21st centuries to be given this honour was Churchill.
There were four non-Royal State funerals in the 19th century – Nelson, Wellington, Palmerston and Gladstone.

Informed sources last night confirmed that the Queen and Gordon Brown had given their blessing to the preparation of funeral arrangements for Lady Thatcher in recognition both of her achievements and for being Britain’s first woman Prime Minister.

Bit sexist, innit. I mean, so what?
DDP teams:
If I'm Spared Myself, Of Course
Toast of the Turf
Nearer My God To Thee

#1384 angryGreatness

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

View PostToast, on 14 January 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

View PostDepor23, on 14 January 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

But what's the dealio with State Funerals in the UK? Is every ex-PM entitled to one?

No. The last one was for Sir Winston Churchill.

Even the Queen Mother didn't get a full-on State Funeral, so I am mystified why people think Thatch might.

Perhaps it's similar to the United States, where leaders will often deny a state funeral in their will. The only reason Nixon didn't get one was because he refused one.
DDP 2014:

Better Them Than Us!:
Daisy Berkowitz, Colin Bloomfield, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Darren Daulton, Fred DeLuca, Sally Farmiloe, Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen, Dr. Kate Granger, Valerie Harper, Clive James, Wilko Johnson, Carolyn McCarthy Posted Image, Graeme Pollock Posted Image, Mike Porcaro, Pat Rice, Amy Robach, Robert Schuller, Stuart Scott, Sam Simon, Joost Van Der Westhuizen

Evergreen State of Decay [Theme: People born in Washington]
Paul Allen, Bob Barker, Glenn Beck Posted Image, Jerry Cantrell Posted Image, Carol Channing Posted Image, Orson Scott Card Posted Image, John Elway Posted Image, Kenny G Posted Image, Bill Gates, Ben Gibbard Posted Image. Ben Haggerty Posted Image, Donald M. Kendall Posted Image, Amanda Knox Posted Image, Gary Larson Posted Image, Ryan Lewis Posted Image, Chuck Palahniuk Posted Image, Anthony Ray Posted Image, Adam West, Jim Whittaker Posted Image, Michael Winslow Posted Image

Died in Committee [Theme: Current and former Senators]
Daniel Akaka Posted Image, Birch Bayh Posted Image, Edward Brooke Posted Image, Tom Coburn Posted Image, Ted Cruz Posted Image, Jeremiah Denton Posted Image, Bob Dole, Dianne Feinstein Posted Image, John Glenn, Orrin Hatch Posted Image, Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, Tim Johnson Posted Image, Mark Kirk Posted Image, Paul Laxalt Posted Image, John McCain, Mitch McConnell Posted Image, Walter Mondale, Harry Reid, Jay Rockefeller Posted Image, John Warner Posted Image

ShadowList 2014:
Rev. Billy Graham, General Jaruzelski, George Bush, Olivia de Havilland, Kirk Douglas, John Glenn, Luise Rainer, Christopher Lee, Nancy Reagan, Eli Wallach, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Bob Dole, Beverly Cleary, Robert Mugabe, Chuck Berry, Al Molinaro, Stan Lee, Lyndon LaRouche,
Ariel Sharon, Don Pardo, Jim Leavelle, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Don Rickles, June Foray, Mort Walker, Paul Laxalt, I.M. Pei, Edward Brooke, Pope Benedict XVI, Alan Young, Henry Kissinger, Hiroo Onoda, Chuck Yeager, Dr. Henry Heimlich, George Shultz, Vera Lynn, Mickey Rooney, Fidel Castro, Noel Neill, Jimmy Carter, Ben Bradlee, Mary Tyler Moore, Jack T. Chick, Jerry Lewis, Jake LaMotta, King Abdullah bin Abdul-Aziz, Helmut Schmidt, Harper Lee, Gloria Vanderbilt, Abe Vigoda

#1385 sympathyforthedevil

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

View PostangryGreatness, on 14 January 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

View PostToast, on 14 January 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

View PostDepor23, on 14 January 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

But what's the dealio with State Funerals in the UK? Is every ex-PM entitled to one?

No. The last one was for Sir Winston Churchill.

Even the Queen Mother didn't get a full-on State Funeral, so I am mystified why people think Thatch might.

Perhaps it's similar to the United States, where leaders will often deny a state funeral in their will. The only reason Nixon didn't get one was because he refused one.

You sure it was nothing to do with the fact that he was a huge crook?

#1386 Windsor

LFN Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:20 AM

Story from the Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail...ameron-was.html

A woman with dementia doesn't know who the Prime Minister is...hardly news-worthy.
Shadow List 2014.

Wilko Johnson, Muhammed Ali, Helen Fawkes, David Norris, Flora Fraser, Stephen Lewis, Jim Bowen, John Bardon, Albert Reynolds, Rev Billy Graham, Daisy Berkowitz, Wojciech Jaeuzelski, Clive James, Robert Mugabe, George H. W. Bush, Leslie Phillips, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Stephen Hawking, Nancy Reagan, Jeremy Thorpe, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, Tariq Aziz, Murray Walker, Stuart Hall, Luise Rainer, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Edgar Ray Killen, Prince Philip, Paul O'Grady, Arthur Scargill, Jalal Talabani, Iain Paisley, Mikhail Gorbachez, Sean Connery, Jimmy Greaves, Sir Nicholas Winton, Sam Simon, Derek Fowlds, Pope Benedict XVI, Richard Attenborough, Harlan Ellison, Fidel Castro, Valerie Harper, Saif al-Isam Megrahi, Queen Fabiola, Ariel Sharon, Liz Smith, Bruce Forsyth, Fred Phelps.

2009: 13/50, 2010: 10/50, 2011: 9/50, 2012: 15/50, 2013:16/50, 2014: 7/50 Winner of the 2010 Dustpool.

#1387 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostWindsor, on 16 January 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

A woman with dementia doesn't know who the Prime Minister is...hardly news-worthy.

I think if you asked a lot of OAP's in England who David Cameron is, they probably couldn't tell you.
I had a job a few years ago where I had to ask a series of questions to help nurses detect the early stages of dementia.
One of the questions "who is the current President?" at the time it was Bush, although quite a few would answer Ford or Reagan.

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

Winner of the 2014 Wojciech Jarulzelski sweepstakes

DDP 2014 4/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

#1388 sympathyforthedevil

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostPhantom, on 16 January 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

I think if you asked a lot of OAP's in England who David Cameron is, they probably couldn't tell you.
I had a job a few years ago where I had to ask a series of questions to help nurses detect the early stages of dementia.
One of the questions "who is the current President?" at the time it was Bush, although quite a few would answer Ford or Reagan.

Even if they had answered "George Bush" that would have been no indicator of health, because they may have been referring to his father!

#1389 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

View Postsympathyforthedevil, on 16 January 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

View PostPhantom, on 16 January 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

Even if they had answered "George Bush" that would have been no indicator of health, because they may have been referring to his father!

If they just answered Bush, we had to ask them which one :)

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

Winner of the 2014 Wojciech Jarulzelski sweepstakes

DDP 2014 4/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

#1390 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

View Postsympathyforthedevil, on 16 January 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

From that one would expect that in subjects of a monarchy early stages of dementia are less easily spotted, when asked after the name of the monarch. Another good reason for the republic.

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#1391 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

If she replied that she was still the PM, then the marbles really have been lost...
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#1392 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

Lady Thatcher appears in public for first time in months .. http://www.dailymail...lic-outing.html Looking pretty good!

Edited by Magere Hein, 20 March 2012 - 08:44 AM.
Post moved from topic "Political Frailty"

#1393 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostDepor23, on 14 January 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

Ah, OK. In Australia, they're handing them out like they're going out of fashion. I think Steve Irwin got offered one and Peter Brock received one. Pretty sure Johnny Warren got one too.

I hear that Jim Stynes is even going to get one.

#1394 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

Baroness Thatcher: 'If I had my time again, I wouldn’t go into politics'

#1395 JR976evil

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:35 AM

View PostDavey Jones' Locker, on 25 March 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

A parting shot perhaps?

#1396 SalmonMousse

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

View PostJR976evil, on 26 March 2012 - 03:35 AM, said:

View PostDavey Jones' Locker, on 25 March 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

A parting shot perhaps?

I bet she is not the only one who wishes she had not gone into politics
its a Mr Grim, he's come about the reaping....

#1397 Razor Boy

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

From those naughty people at B3ta.com LINK

#1398 Damon Killian

You b*****d! Drop dead!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

Is there no news of her dying a horrible slow death yet ?
We Are The 45%

#1399 msc

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostYongle Emperor, on 16 April 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

Is there no news of her dying a horrible slow death yet ?

Depends on your view of dementia.
2014 Pan Breed DDP – S Simon (joker), S Farmiloe, W Johnson, C Kasem, V Harper, G Cole, G Garcia Marquez, P Rice, J Hill, L Dawn, A Briggs, J vd Westhuizen, C Woodhead, C Moncrieff, T Benn, R Buell, I Watkins, H Fawkes, A Reynolds, J McGinniss

Other pools – J McVie, P Worsthorne, V Campbell, S Caesar, L Rainer, R Mugabe, P Wyngarde, K Douglas, G Whitlam, S Hall, A Franklin, R Attenborough, GHW Bush, H Kissinger, E Wallach, B Reynolds, J Garner, N Reagan, H Kessler, G Saks, L Ferlinghetti, O Chadwick, R Asherson, K Ollerenshaw, F Phelps, W Jaruzelski, G Amorth, H McCullough, F Dyson, C Pincher, O Pooley, C Townes, D Slocombe, A Hiller, F Bough, RR Shaw, A Imich, C Hollingworth, S Gall, Ghiggia, C Irving, FGD Jean, H Gregg, F Domino, B Kerr, P MacNee, C Yeager, R Suart, P Maxwell Davies, J Havelange, J de Cuellar, P Dimmock, G Ure, C Mitchelmore, J Nott, H Wouk, J Freeman, M Wilson, T Docherty, P Fox, G Howe, L Cosgrave, N Lawson, B Clemens, K Evren, RK Murray, M Soares, P Vaughan, R Baker, P Lally, L Smith, A Suarez, P Robbins, I Kanarek, IM Pei, ER Killen, J Ramsey, P de Jong, A Rhett, V Gagne. = combined 19/100

2013: 28/100
2012: 25/100
Shadow Deathlist 2011- 10/50

#1400 Damon Killian

You b*****d! Drop dead!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

I can't find where I put it, but I am sticking by my prediction of Thatcher dying on my birthday 2nd May
We Are The 45%

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users