Lady Die

Tennis players

I saw an old biddy on TV the other day - she's 99 & won Wimbledon in 1931.

It made me wonder if any old tennis players are facing match point.

Rod Laver & Ken Rosewall must both be getting on a bit.

• Like 1

The Women's Champion of 1931 was Cilly Aussem. According to this link: "It died on 22 March 1963 in Portofino."

At the bottom of this page they mention Phyllis King "who - as Phyllis Mudford - won the ladies doubles in 1931. Her prize - a £10 shopping voucher."

Anyone heard of her?

It is worth checking the list of men's and women's champions for those who are famous enough but the trouble is that athletes are prone to being healthy.

Yup, she is dead and thus relatively uninteresting to us.

Yup, she is dead and thus relatively uninteresting to us.

Come on now, how intresting is 100 year old Phyllis King.

She must interest you somewhat Notapotato.

One of these days I'm going to go home from work and watch my favourite player, Roger Federer play on Centre Court, rather than

coming home learning that he's already won and having to watch Andy *ucking Murray again!

One of these days I'm going to go home from work and watch my favourite player, Roger Federer play on Centre Court, rather than

coming home learning that he's already won and having to watch Andy *ucking Murray again!

Well it won't be tomorrow...

All England Lawn Tennis Championships | Wimbledon, England

Centre Court (1300 BST start)

Wednesday, 01 July 2009

Karlovic Cro 22 v Federer Swi 2 Men's Singles

Murray GB 3 v Ferrero Spa Men's Singles

C'mon Mandy! (I may well be the only DLer cheering on the monosyllabically-transatlantically drawling Jock, I know)

Incidentally, there are a fair few 80+ Grand Slam-winning male and female tennisers still extant, but I cannot be arsed to look them all up again.

Are you dismissing our Britain's* got talent entry in favour of the Nazi loving Swiss?

* Come Sunday as Federer raises that trophy he'll no doubt be Scottish again.

Tennis may run professionals into the ground so much that they burn out at 30, but looking at the shape of the ex-players

like McEnroe and Connors, it certainly keeps you in shape in later years...

Mathieu Moncourt, the World number 108, who you may remember was the centre of a betting scandal a few years ago, and who took Stepanek to four sets at the French Open two months ago, has been found dead in France. It seems to have been a suspected suicide. Only 24.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...8nrpYAD999IS380

Edited by Anubis the Jackal
(edited to fix link...)

Mathieu Moncourt, the World number 108, who you may remember was the centre of a betting scandal a few years ago, and who took Stepanek to four sets at the French Open two months ago, has been found dead in France. It seems to have been a suspected suicide. Only 24.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...8nrpYAD999IS380

Nice the way the Clouseau brigade at the ATP suspend a guy for five weeks and 12 grand for betting a massive $192 (at three bucks a pop) on tennis matches, while they let the clearly guilty Daffydenko walk free over a fixed match with $7 million wagered.

Fools. I hope they feel ashamed today.

Jack Kramer, Wimbledon Champion in 1947, beaten in straight sets by the cancer he was diagnosed with in July.

Jack Kramer, Wimbledon Champion in 1947, beaten in straight sets by the cancer he was diagnosed with in July.

I'll cross him off my shortlist for next year then!

Navratilova announced that she has breast cancer the prognosis though is supposed to be excellent. Still one worth keeping an eye on

Just noticed that DDT beat me to it. by half an hour. teaches me to stop dithering and taking phone called when making updates

Martina Navratilova has been diagnosed with breast cancer.

That's really shitty news and for someone who takes so much care of herself she must be devastated (she's said as much herself it seems). Still, it shows no-one is immune to cancer.

Hope she gets well soon and is with us for many, many years to come. Mainly because she's the greatest sportswoman who's ever lived and, not insignificantly to me personally, she's the only tennis player who I really like of my era that I haven't seen in the flesh either playing or commentating/around the courts.

From what I read, (and I would have posted links had I thought it worthwhile) she seems to think shes beaten it and just needs to keep an eye on things. Nothing to get excited about just yet.

From what I read, (and I would have posted links had I thought it worthwhile) she seems to think shes beaten it and just needs to keep an eye on things. Nothing to get excited about just yet.

It was diagnosed and she underwent a lumpectomy in February and radiation treatment begins in May according to various newspapers. Far from out of the woods, but the trees can be seen individually shall we say.

As to any further comments from me on the subject - what exactly Vinegar Tits said. I couldn't put it any better.

Does anyone know if 105 year old Phyllis King is still alive? Someone might be interested (Page 1)

Ancient tennis players .. it is a little interesting.

Does anyone know if 105 year old Phyllis King is still alive? Someone might be interested (Page 1)

Ancient tennis players .. it is a little interesting.

Well I tell you what... why don't you search "Phyllis King tennis" in Google then the answer will MAGICALLY appear in the first result. It's really good, you should try it! :rolleyes: