Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2012

Hmmm. Maybe there's a time lag before newsfeed articles in the Guardian are archived and then made available to find on Google. If Breck gets one, then Warren Stevens will surely get one. Maybe we have to wait...

I can never find those pesky AP/Guardian obits. I search in the Guardian and there's nothing there. What's the secret?

Google their name in brackets i.e. "Les Leston" and select "pages from the UK" on the left hand side.

I can never find those pesky AP/Guardian obits. I search in the Guardian and there's nothing there. What's the secret?

Google their name in brackets i.e. "Les Leston" and select "pages from the UK" on the left hand side.

That's what I do, and it never bloody comes up! I've just tried it now with Peter Breck...

EDIT: ah, it's on page 3...

I hate to bug you about this after all your hard work but on my Califorewarned team, my joker was changed from Sean Stewart to Jill St. John. And the picture for Kenneth Pogson is another picture of Tres Shannon.

I hate to bug you about this after all your hard work but on my Califorewarned team, my joker was changed from Sean Stewart to Jill St. John. And the picture for Kenneth Pogson is another picture of Tres Shannon.

Well spotted!

It seems this is a sequel to an issue I had when doing the S pictures. I noticed that some of the coding used on the database was out of synch. I sorted one part of it, but it seems I messed up the picks part (the one that links the celebs to the teams).

Should be sorted by the next update.

As for the "Pogson" picture - I thought I'd seen his face before!

Croke clubs? New one on me...

Reading that old news report is a walk down memory lane.

"And if you hear the news Whitney Houston has died, you can be sure they'll be at least one person raising a glass for all the wrong reasons."

Try 16.

Guest WEP

Margarete Mitscherlich-Nielsen http://www.derbydead...s_M.html#mitscm

German-Danish psychoanalyst died on June 12th, Frankfurt am Main aged 94.

She write books about death and mourning. And that Germans are ashamed when they think of the Nazis.

German obits do we have: http://www.spiegel.d...h-a-838595.html

British obits... er .... please hold the line...^^

Points guaranted: http://www.independe...lt-7857154.html

Mitscherlich now sociologically dead...^^

Lina Haag is dead at 105:

http://www.bild.de/r...56870.bild.html

Even a resistance fighter cannot resist the Grim Reaper forever...

Will she get the Brit obit though?

I am aware of the existence of the Piatigorsky Cup. Some of the games played by Fischer in the second one are classics.

I wasn't aware that it was named after a Mrs. Piatigorsky, nor that a Mrs. Piatigorsky ever lived. The only excuse I can mumble is the fact that no woman at that time played at grandmaster strength, so their games were rarely published.

Edit to add: apparently she wasn't too bright when it came to chess customs. That article writes:

One of her earliest efforts — a 1961 match between U.S. champions Samuel Reshevsky and Bobby Fischer — ended abruptly after Piatigorsky postponed a game to attend her husband's evening concert. Fischer threw a fit and withdrew from the competition, allowing his opponent to be declared the winner.

Fischer had a name for throwing fits, but in this case he was completely right. Games are not postponed, unless for health reasons of one of the players.

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein

The obituary link for Tony Martin on the latest update links to an obituary for Yitzhak Shamir instead. Thought you should know.

The obituary link for Tony Martin on the latest update links to an obituary for Yitzhak Shamir instead. Thought you should know.

Fixed.

Guest Guest

The most recent update features a picture of Buzz Aldrin, not Neil Armstrong.

Armstrong is the astronaut in the helmet's reflection.