Grim Reaper

Olivia De Havilland

I have a strange feeling she might throw in the towel today on her 99th birthday...

Or maybe it's just desperate hope :/ 48 days (and counting) is the longest I've had to wait for a hit so far in 2015.

I have a strange feeling she might throw in the towel today on her 99th birthday...

Or maybe it's just desperate hope :/ 48 days (and counting) is the longest I've had to wait for a hit so far in 2015.

is there any update on her health? any pictures of her trying to blow out her candles?

Wow... I just read her biography, mainly about the sibling rivalry, and wow.... Olivia seemed like a bitch.

Ok, so she's a bitch and you desperately hope that she die on her special day. Any other anti-Olivia opinions you'd like to share with us? :rolleyes:

FYI: Unlike spouses and friends, you don't choose your family members. So, naturally, you won't get along with every single one of them. When two different personalities clash, usually neither side is 100% innocent.

From appearances, de Havilland still looks and sounds like she did a decade ago. Some folk just age well.

Entertainment Weekly did an interview with her in February...

Depending on her energy level, she entertains about once a week. She is still a dues-paying member of the Academy and follows nomination season “with extreme interest,” but because of her declining eyesight, she no longer watches many films and does not vote. She can still do crossword puzzles, though, and in the coming months she hopes to make progress on the autobiography she began a few years ago. She’s written five chapters in the same buoyant style that she used in her charming 1962 book of essays, Every Frenchman Has One. A lover of words, she is enjoying mining her rich, long life for remembrances.

And if she has anything to do with it, she will collect many, many more. Because this formidable woman has every intention of celebrating her 100th birthday come July 1, 2016. “Oh, I can’t wait for it,” she says. “I’m certainly relishing the idea of living a century. Can you imagine that? What an achievement.”

She also apparently replies - intermittently - to fan mail.

Due to age she could snuff it overnight, but she sounds in far better shape than most all of the younger Deathlist picks.

Wow... I just read her biography, mainly about the sibling rivalry, and wow.... Olivia seemed like a bitch.

I have a strange feeling she might throw in the towel today on her 99th birthday...Or maybe it's just desperate hope :/ 48 days (and counting) is the longest I've had to wait for a hit so far in 2015.

Ok, so she's a bitch and you desperately hope that she die on her special day. Any other anti-Olivia opinions you'd like to share with us? :rolleyes:

FYI: Unlike spouses and friends, you don't choose your family members. So, naturally, you won't get along with every single one of them. When two different personalities clash, usually neither side is 100% innocent.

Well, I don't really want HER to die. Just anyone from my personal list. I'd prefer it to be some evil person like Bhumibol, of course, or Dick van Dyke (yeah... I never trusted that dick), but Olivia will do :)

Also, Joan wasn't completely inoccent, but Olivia seemed like the bitchier bitch.

For example, as kids, she tore up poor Joan's clothes, so she had to sew them back together :(

Guest Guest

I have a strange feeling she might throw in the towel today on her 99th birthday...Or maybe it's just desperate hope :/ 48 days (and counting) is the longest I've had to wait for a hit so far in 2015.

Well, I don't really want HER to die. Just anyone from my personal list. I'd prefer it to be some evil person like Bhumibol, of course, or Dick van Dyke (yeah... I never trusted that dick), but Olivia will do :)

Also, Joan wasn't completely inoccent, but Olivia seemed like the bitchier bitch.

For example, as kids, she tore up poor Joan's clothes, so she had to sew them back together :(

Didn't Dick Van Dyke die last week?

Didn't Dick Van Dyke die last week?
no it was dick can pattern

Where`s the evidence that Olivia is a huge bitch?I knew her and Joan had a very bitter feud but that`s the only negative thing I can think of.

Where`s the evidence that Olivia is a huge bitch?I knew her and Joan had a very bitter feud but that`s the only negative thing I can think of.

Well, she's not a huge bitch, but she sure was a bitch to her sister.

Some siblings are like that.I think Joan gave as good as she got from what I have read.

• Like 1

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/olivia-de-havilland-dishes-vicious-feud-joan-fontaine

The Enquirer talks about how she is doing pretty good health-wise, dressing fancy every day, and ready to write a book, promote it on a tour, and make it to 100!!!

So the question is, will she die this week or next week?

But in all seriousness, I think the Enquirer is right this time. Olivia seems to be doing great. I don't think I'll include her on my 2016 list, I'd advise the good folks at the Deathlist Committee to do the same.

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/olivia-de-havilland-dishes-vicious-feud-joan-fontaine

The Enquirer talks about how she is doing pretty good health-wise, dressing fancy every day, and ready to write a book, promote it on a tour, and make it to 100!!!

But in all seriousness, I think the Enquirer is right this time. Olivia seems to be doing great. I don't think I'll include her on my 2016 list, I'd advise the good folks at the Deathlist Committee to do the same.

I would advise against ever taking her off DL.We don`t want another Patrick Moore and beside when Priebke and Pincher turned 100 everyone went on about how great they look.Centenarians can deteriate rapidly. Plus if the committee left off a 100 year old double Oscar Winner it would look fairly foolish is she died.I think that any candidates born before 1920 should be on until they die.

• Like 1

I would advise against ever taking her off DL.We don`t want another Patrick Moore and beside when Priebke and Pincher turned 100 everyone went on about how great they look.Centenarians can deteriate rapidly. Plus if the committee left off a 100 year old double Oscar Winner it would look fairly foolish is she died.I think that any candidates born before 1920 should be on until they die.

The tendency lately for notable Deathlist eligible centenarians appears to be...die within four months of the 100, or five months after. With a July 2016 birthday, both of those would fall within 2016 for de Havilland.

Agreed. There should be a rule that those who are 95+ and are on the list, should be on the list until they die

Agreed. There should be a rule that those who are 95+ and are on the list, should be on the list until they die

I disagree. The I don't want egg on my face so I never drop someone in case they die will lead to doubling/tripling down on bad picks and will lower the hit rate. Fear of not wanting another Patrick Moore will lead to another Eli Wallach aka rando charecter actor ending up as one of the most nominated people ever. That said Olivia DeHavilland is one of the handful of picks I hope don't get dropped due to her Iconic status and largely being the last one of her era.

Question about the age here. Is it intentional she is given the age of 100? She's still 99-years old, likewise Havelange.

Question about the age here. Is it intentional she is given the age of 100? She's still 99-years old, likewise Havelange.

The most extreme case is Kirk Douglas. He turned 99 less than a month ago, yet he also appears on the list as a centenarian. I guess only the year was given in the database, so their age is calculated as if they had been born on the 1st of January. I guess these would be corrected if the full BOD was given.

Isn't the age based on the age they will become in 2016? I.e. they are in their 100th year or whatever? I just assumed that was accepted.

• Like 1

The most extreme case is Kirk Douglas. He turned 99 less than a month ago, yet he also appears on the list as a centenarian. I guess only the year was given in the database, so their age is calculated as if they had been born on the 1st of January. I guess these would be corrected if the full BOD was given.

BOD - birth of date???

BOD - birth of date???
Yes. Sorry if that wasn't clear, I thought this abbr. was also used in the UK as well as in the States.

Edit: oh I see what I did there, of couse I meant DOB. :)

Edited by GossipGabe

Isn't the age based on the age they will become in 2016? I.e. they are in their 100th year or whatever? I just assumed that was accepted.

Yes.

Well, yeah – it is. But provided the committee did a decent job, at least some of the candidates will die before their birthday. :)

• Like 2