Death Watch Beatle

Stephen Hawking

I know he had a close shave a few years ago but is his health any worse than usual?

How does he manage to hold the razor??

how the man is still living now is a mystery, most people with his condition don't get to 40.

Actually it depends on when you develop motor neuron disease usually within 5 years your dead . If you develop it at 38 you have a good chance of getting to 40 and living until at least 43. I think its very rare to develop MND at a young age and its also very rare to live as long as Stephen hawking has with this disease, maybe there is some correlation there.

Or maybe someone has been playing a Weekend At Bernies on everyone for decades.

• Like 1

I know he had a close shave a few years ago but is his health any worse than usual?

How does he manage to hold the razor??

Someone else holds it, but he helpfully slobbers enought to avoid the need to hold his head over a basin, lathering up is no problem!

• Like 1

Stephen Hawking has warned that mankind must not dismiss or underestimate the danger of A.I. machines becoming self-aware/self-serving and running amok.

https://uk.news.yaho...-110523390.html

He's certainly a smart guy and I hope he's around for a while yet. I strongly disagree with his choice as a DL candidate for reasons of taste. Well he shouldn't be a regular/repeat candidate anyway.

Guest Guest

Stephen Hawking has warned that mankind must not dismiss or underestimate the danger of A.I. machines becoming self-aware/self-serving and running amok.

https://uk.news.yaho...-110523390.html

He's certainly a smart guy and I hope he's around for a while yet. I strongly disagree with his choice as a DL candidate for reasons of taste. Well he shouldn't be a regular/repeat candidate anyway.

Robots have allready started taking over the world.It started when New labour came to power...

The man's a complete media tart, obviously, therefore it's no surprise that his - ahem - latest formuliac doodlings are being widely reported, all to do with the best chances for England in the forthcoming World Cup.

Don't get your hopes up...to do well we need cool weather and kick off times around 3-00 pm!

The man's a complete media tart, obviously, therefore it's no surprise that his - ahem - latest formuliac doodlings are being widely reported, all to do with the best chances for England in the forthcoming World Cup.

Don't get your hopes up...to do well we need cool weather and kick off times around 3-00 pm!

Yeah..... I saw that. A little stupid - for someone who's supposed to be the smartest guy in the world, he's running a serious risk of looking like he can't out-think an octopus.

I have a feeling we might do well , semi finals well. sturridge and rooney maybe striking up a good partnership with sterling being one of the players of the tournament. If Greece can win the euros England can win the world cup but i think we need to play down England's hopes as much as possible then there is less pressure , England national team seems to crumble under any sort of pressure its like there Achilles heel .

New film about Stephen Hawking starring Eddie Redmayne is being tipped as an outsider for an Oscar nod.

Could it do with a bit of extra publicity like the Nelson Mandela movie?

• Like 2

SH correctly warns again that machines with "Artificial Intelligence" could run amok and end humanity, or at least put us all out of business.

New film about Stephen Hawking starring Eddie Redmayne is being tipped as an outsider for an Oscar nod.

Could it do with a bit of extra publicity like the Nelson Mandela movie?

Wow........ a film in which a severely disabled man known for his incredibly limited communication abilities and the robotic unintelligibility of his dialogue........... plays a famous scientist.

• Like 1

SH correctly warns again that machines with "Artificial Intelligence" could run amok and end humanity, or at least put us all out of business.

We're nowhere near creating artificial intelligence, but if we were, having intelligent things on Earth might actually be a Good Thing.

regards,

Hein

With the state of the world at the moment with the middle east,the general lack of compassion for fellow humans and people like kim kashardian being seen as role models humanity is long since lost. Its actually a good time to be alive as humans are still near the top of the mountain that we are slowly descending. Falling birth rates around the world apart from religious nuts and diseases like ebola and antibiotic resistance spells a very bleak future for all concerned. Who knows in 10000 years time humans may not exist at all and could have been replaced by the machines we created and if so then that is evolution in practice . Human beings replaced the Neanderthal's afterall and someone will replace us .

Humans are turning more like machines everyday anyway I see it with every newer generation (yea and i'm only in my mid 20s) people becoming more socially awkward and withdrawn that equals less friends /girlfriends / boyfriends and see japan for their fertility rates and the result of that. But when argumentation comes along if we get that far then what? If a human being has more robotic parts than human parts is he or she still considered human ?

• Like 1

He's practically a cyborg himself, he's in a good position to judge...

With the state of the world at the moment with the middle east,the general lack of compassion for fellow humans and people like kim kashardian being seen as role models humanity is long since lost. Its actually a good time to be alive as humans are still near the top of the mountain that we are slowly descending. Falling birth rates around the world apart from religious nuts and diseases like ebola and antibiotic resistance spells a very bleak future for all concerned. Who knows in 10000 years time humans may not exist at all and could have been replaced by the machines we created and if so then that is evolution in practice . Human beings replaced the Neanderthal's afterall and someone will replace us .

Humans are turning more like machines everyday anyway I see it with every newer generation (yea and i'm only in my mid 20s) people becoming more socially awkward and withdrawn that equals less friends /girlfriends / boyfriends and see japan for their fertility rates and the result of that. But when argumentation comes along if we get that far then what? If a human being has more robotic parts than human parts is he or she still considered human ?

That's a shockingly (mostly) accurate state of events, bro...

The two biggest problems are fundamentalist nutjobs having 18 kids per family and naming them all Muhammad, and people gawping at their smartphone screens like a bunch of lost, confused sheep who've just been injected with super-autism.

It's amazing how fast (only about 20 years) I've gone from being a meek scared kid who was in awe of everybody and couldn't wait for the future to happen, to a scared, pessimistic adult who holds almost everybody in contempt and thinks we're going to see a Rome-style-collapse before I've even got time to go half-bald.

Of course let's not lose track of what Hawking was complaining about in the first place, super-geeks in Silicon Valley creating something too powerful that goes wrong because their demented egos can't admit they can ever do wrong, or because a lifetime of bullying has left them with too low esteem to be able to handle the idea that something they create can do damage.

He's practically a cyborg himself, he's in a good position to judge...

Uh, did you mean to post that in the George Osborne thread?

• Like 2

With the state of the world at the moment with the middle east, the general lack of compassion for fellow humans and people like kim kashardian

I'd only read this far, and I was thinking "Surely it's not a bad thing to have no compassion for people like Kim Kashardian?"

I agree she should be in a separate category from "fellow humans" too. :evil2:

• Like 1

Guest droosy

Stephen Hawking looks frail! He may die anytime!!

Was rolled in at the BAFTAS tonight... I could see him living a couple of years yet...

Looked ok at the baftas. Although I'm pretty sure they played his bits pre-recorded over speakers, something to do with feedback maybe?

Guest Guest

I'm not entirely convinced that the man hasn't been turned into a bloody robot and wil live forever...