Anubis the Jackal

Christopher Lee

Ironic that it was Bibliogryphon who's most upset about a guy who was born in Belgravia and died in Chelsea.

(Actually, on his civil service wages he's probably got three immaculately-kept flats in each district, but, y'know just saying "on paper" he's left-wing.)

Lee was also a Tory y'know.

So you have to be poor to be 'left-wing'?

Ironic that it was Bibliogryphon who's most upset about a guy who was born in Belgravia and died in Chelsea.

(Actually, on his civil service wages he's probably got three immaculately-kept flats in each district, but, y'know just saying "on paper" he's left-wing.)

So you have to be poor to be 'left-wing'?

It's possible to be fiscally conservative, but left-wing on social issues. In the US most people who are rich (with the exception of film stars) are right-wing. Purely because they support policies that the Republicans and Tea Party candidates put forward which are things like tax breaks for the high income set. There's a greater rich-poor divide here.

I fail to see the irony at all. Personally i'm left-wing and I was just as upset as I've always admired Christopher Lee's acting and also his approach to acting. Naturally if you've been working for as many years as he has, made a name for yourself that people are going to want to go to see a film because you're in it, of course he'd have earnt himself enough money to afford 3 flats in some well-to-do areas of London. Perhaps he rents out a couple of them and uses the rent as additional income. The ones i have no respect for are the ones who rather than being self-made millionaires who built their fortunes from nothing, have just inherited the money and treated those around them like shit.

• Like 2

There's rich through inheritance, and there's rich through being "self-made" by having a profession that happens to pay extremely well, this may depend upon your talent or on luck or perhaps both. Either way around it is something of an "accident of birth".

For instance I personally fail to see that being born into this world with an ability to kick a ball around better than most should immediately confer millions on you, whilst being born with a caring nature and a desire to help others does not. You could in fact be rich through either inheritance or "work" and still support the idea of a system with a more equal sharing of blessings, at least so far as I can see, not that it seems many do.

• Like 1

^Who are these people that can kick a ball really well?

I know there's like that one Argentinian guy in Spain or something but AFAIK that's about all... :scratchhead:

• Like 1

For instance I personally fail to see that being born into this world with an ability to kick a ball around better than most should immediately confer millions on you, whilst being born with a caring nature and a desire to help others does not.

I don't blame the few footballers who earn millions for accepting those salaries. I rather see that money end up in their bank accounts than those of the club owners. It does, however, seem disproportionate that those footballers earn more in a week than most hardworking people in a lifetime, for a job in entertainment rather than something productive.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

Following Christopher Lee's death, The Sun have written a full article about Dracula.

He didn't appear in The Mirror though

is that because Lee was a tory supporter or what?

One thing that has been pleasing is the sheer warmth and genuine comments which his tributes have brought as well as his own comments:

When asked about the secret of his 50 year marriage he replied "Marry someone wonderful"

Easier said than done...

True but I have been lucky.

Repeat ad infinitum

I am not a civil servent.

Yes I came from a working class background but for me Christopher Lee was a superb actor who had a remarkable and long career. He was not known for making political statements and I would not have held them against him. I was a big fan of Patrick Moore and he was well known Tory (later UKIP) supporter but he was a great astronomer and science communicator.

• Like 1

Maybe his support for the Conservative party helped his portrayal of an evil bloodsucker - some people can take method acting too far.

• Like 3

There's rich through inheritance, and there's rich through being "self-made" by having a profession that happens to pay extremely well, this may depend upon your talent or on luck or perhaps both. Either way around it is something of an "accident of birth".

For instance I personally fail to see that being born into this world with an ability to kick a ball around better than most should immediately confer millions on you, whilst being born with a caring nature and a desire to help others does not. You could in fact be rich through either inheritance or "work" and still support the idea of a system with a more equal sharing of blessings, at least so far as I can see, not that it seems many do.

Long long ago, sometime after man learned how to make fire and use the wheel there were people wondering why the fuck some of them could swan around in sheepskin loincloths and mammoth skinned footwear when most were lucky if they could manage to wear rabbit skinned attire....

• Like 1

Following Christopher Lee's death, The Sun have written a full article about Dracula.

No, it's because a vampire's image doesn't show in a mirror.

Repeat ad infinitum

Yes I came from a working class background but for me Christopher Lee was a superb actor who had a remarkable and long career. He was not known for making political statements and I would not have held them against him. I was a big fan of Patrick Moore and he was well known Tory (later UKIP) supporter but he was a great astronomer and science communicator.

I know i'm not but what am you?

(kidding. I promise if I ever make another civil service joke I'll paint my hall white.)

I was only saying it was mildly "ironic" too jeez calm your teets. I just noticed his very posh birth and death thats all.

No spottings of him yet so far, I think the garlic worked.

Guest Jan Moir

So I noticed Saruman died but Gandalf's still here. Thats my theory down the drain, oh dear. Time for another sherry with the cats I think.

No, it's because a vampire's image doesn't show in a mirror.

He who takes something apart to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.

I think Gandalf said something like that to Saruman (keep it topical) but the thing it applies most to is....

.... A Joke

• Like 3

Repeat ad infinitum

They say you become more right wing as you get older . Maybe because people accumulate wealth or wise up or just get pissed off about everything ? The left wing parties (certainly in this country) tend to try and cater to all sets of voters and they end up not making any of them happy . Labour accused of being pro immigrants ,pro ethnic minorities and forgetting the white working class but large chunks of the ethnic vote actually voted conservative especially hindu and sikh and a good chunk of the white working class went to UKIP. That was one of the key reasons they lost the election well that and treating the Scottish people like fools. Labour like to jump on bandwagons to get votes the conservative party know who their core supporters are and stick with them.

Repeat ad infinitum

They say you become more right wing as you get older . Maybe because people accumulate wealth or wise up or just get pissed off about everything ? The left wing parties (certainly in this country) tend to try and cater to all sets of voters and they end up not making any of them happy . Labour accused of being pro immigrants ,pro ethnic minorities and forgetting the white working class but large chunks of the ethnic vote actually voted conservative especially hindu and sikh and a good chunk of the white working class went to UKIP. That was one of the key reasons they lost the election well that and treating the Scottish people like fools. Labour like to jump on bandwagons to get votes the conservative party know who their core supporters are and stick with them.

I thought the main reason was because Ed Milliband lacked any charisma and people just couldn't envisage him leading the country.

Repeat ad infinitum

I thought the main reason was because Ed Milliband lacked any charisma and people just couldn't envisage him leading the country.

Tell that to Clement Attlee, Ted Heath and John Major. We're not like America yet, you know...

• Like 2

Oh, Sweet Baby Jesus.... I hate to be the annoying asshole who has to say this again, but: Chris Lee died June 7th, not June 11th.

Also, Kirk Kerkorian died June 15th, not June 16th.

Nice write up on CLee btw. He deserved better. It couldn't possibly take 30 minutes to throw together the vignettes we read re: each dead person. Dude was dead a fucking week. Egad

SirC