Guest Dirk Geeraerts

Ian Smith died today

Ian Smith died today

No sh*t sherlock, try reading the previous posts

Guest Guest_Gwynhafyr_*

Thank goodness for that. I seriously thought Death List was not going to reach double digits this year.

To be honest I'd forgotton all about him and when it was announced on the car radio last night I thought it was Harold Bishop.

Just to say the above post is mine. i forgot to login. :lol:

I had a few headlines going through my head yesterday

"Rhodesia Doesn't Need Ya"

"Last of The Rhodesians"

or

"Segregated At Death"

Guest Mark LV
Smith may be dead - but he's still a better leader than Mugabe...

True. But then, even Saddam Hussein would be better than Mugabe.

I just don't understand why nobody's shot Mugabe yet. If he's that bad (and there is no doubting he is) then why hasn't anyone got the courage to take a pot shot?

You see this what I just don't get. It doesn't seem to matter how bad people are treated or how evil the people in power are they always (almost) live a long life and literally get away with murder. It just doesn't make sense to me at all. :lol:

I just don't understand why nobody's shot Mugabe yet. If he's that bad (and there is no doubting he is) then why hasn't anyone got the courage to take a pot shot?

You see this what I just don't get. It doesn't seem to matter how bad people are treated or how evil the people in power are they always (almost) live a long life and literally get away with murder. It just doesn't make sense to me at all. :lol:

they probably don't want to waste the bullets

Well still no details on the home page and this thread also seems to have died.

Is it because everyone is so fed up by the lack of success they just can't be arsed anymore?

Looking forward to next years deathlist can I make the following suggestions.

Prince Philip, Michael Winner and Elizabeth Taylor.

Is it because everyone is so fed up by the lack of success they just can't be arsed anymore?

Calm down dear! The DL tends to go in spurts of activity, and I'm sure GR or one of the other admins will get round to an update on dearly departed Smithy sometime soon. It's a fairly thankless task, and it's not as though anyone's updating the site because of any great financial gain. The best way to keep the site interesting is to post messages regularly. And ten deaths on the year isn't too bad, especially as we restrained ourselves from selecting anyone on death row.

Your suggestions will be noted and discounted discussed at the Committee's selection meeting.

Word is that Lizzie had both of them in her youth

You mean that they both had Lizzie, surely?

Calm down, it was only a commercial.

Which Lizzie?

Your suggestions will be noted and discounted discussed at the Committee's selection meeting.

I'm used to that. ;)

Is there anyone Liz Taylor hasn't had?

Oh, that Lizzie.

Me!

Me!

No comment.

Guest Guest_Blartman_*

Still no update. Maybe the Mods should have been on this year's list....?

Still no update. Maybe the Mods should have been on this year's list....?

Come on ... it really has nothing to do with the Mods. In my view the web sight should be updated about a week or so after the candidates unselfishness. I mean depending on the situation and considering their level of importance is how quickly the death will be updated and recognized. You know if it was 'Fidel Castro' who dropped dead you would see a ten-twelve line paragraph up the next day. Now once before I've offered 'if possible' the chance to write up the obituaries for the front page. It's very possible I'll have a couple of grammatical casualties 'which would be edited' but it's something that I could indulge my interest in operating. Overall I guess GR .. still enjoys writing them up after all these years so ...... my offer is always on the table.

Well go on Banshees, write something for Ian Smith here.

I'm sure if it's any good, the powers that be will use it. Perhaps we could make it your job.

How about that then?

Ian Smith the first and former prime minister of Southern Rhodesia has resigned from life itself at the age of 88 to emerge Deathlist 2007 into double digits for the eighth consecutive year. Smith declared for independence from the United Kingdom in November 1965 and unfortunately the country failed to be internationally recognized and United Nations economic sanctions were instituted. Finally governor Lord Soames took over the running of Rhodesia and the reign of Ian Smith ended in 1979 after he maintained office for fourteen years. Overall it's fortunate for us that we didn't have to wait that long.

Ian Smith the first and former prime minister of Southern Rhodesia has resigned from life itself at the age of 88 to emerge Deathlist 2007 into double digits for the eighth consecutive year. Smith declared for independence from the United Kingdom in November 1965 and unfortunately the country failed to be internationally recognized and United Nations economic sanctions were instituted. Finally governor Lord Soames took over the running of Rhodesia and the reign of Ian Smith ended in 1979 after he maintained office for fourteen years. Overall it's fortunate for us that we didn't have to wait that long.

Not bad BS.

How about this:

"Ian Smith, the first Prime Minister of Rhodesia, whose unilateral decleration of independence from the UK in 1965 created a regime of white minority rule, has underlined his personal committment to UDI, resigning from life at the age of 88. His departure takes Deathlist in to double figures for the eighth consecutive year."

The above keeps with Banshees line but it's tidier and shorter and leaves out phrases such as "unfortunately" that kind of depend on your point of view. It also avoids that clumsy language "emerge Deathlist" although I have seen much worse from BS. I thought he rose to the challenge pretty well.

Not bad BS.

How about this:

"Ian Smith, the first Prime Minister of Rhodesia, whose unilateral decleration of independence from the UK in 1965 created a regime of white minority rule, has underlined his personal committment to UDI, resigning from life at the age of 88. His departure takes Deathlist in to double figures for the eighth consecutive year."

The above keeps with Banshees line but it's tidier and shorter and leaves out phrases such as "unfortunately" that kind of depend on your point of view. It also avoids that clumsy language "emerge Deathlist" although I have seen much worse from BS. I thought he rose to the challenge pretty well.

Well I prefer Banshees Scream's effort.

There are slightly fewer spelling errors.

Toodle Pip!