Lady Grendel

UK General Election 2010

Who Will Win  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's about 7 weeks to the next general election in the UK, so I thought I'd replicate the thread we had in 2005. Are we to see a smug David Cameron, a bullish Gordon Brown or a very surprised Nick Clegg as our next Prime Minister? There are lots of opinions posted elsewhere on this forum about these 3 chaps and the others who are in the running, so I am bringing them together. The outsiders are of course Alex Salmond (Windsor's best friend) and Nick Griffin who seems to be universally hated by all DL'ers, something we can agree on at least. Anyway, this is a thread to talk about all things gen elec related.

No Overall control may well be the favourite.

I see the Tories are trying to wind the clock back and suggest we're back in the Dark Ages (also known as the nineteen seventies).

But of course the Seventies were followed by the Eighties *shudder*...

Maybe music and comedy might improve with that lot in, mind...

Not that the Seventies were bad in that way either...

If it's on May 6th as expected, I shall be out of the country anyway, which will be fascinating...

Can I vote for Clive Dunn?

The Labour Party will win the election either way.

I think that they will be the largest party in the next parliament without a working majority.

If they actually lose the election, they will win the next election about 3 months later after the Conservatives wreck the economic recovery.

The Labour Party will win the election either way.

I think that they will be the largest party in the next parliament without a working majority.

If they actually lose the election, they will win the next election about 3 months later after the Conservatives wreck the economic recovery.

And Scotland could be the key here, I reckon. Back in 1979, it was Labour's resurgence in Scotland which prevented absolute humiliation at the ballot box.

It's a no-brainer aint it? Brown is Scottish and he's Prime Minister. They're gonna vote for him up there. When it comes to the crunch they'd rather have a Scot

in charge OF THE WHOLE COUNTRY that some Eton ponce with a Scottish name...

Labour will retain all their seats in Scotland and nick one or two off the SNP while they're about it. Now there's only 59 seats compared to over 500 in England, but

it could still make a difference at the end of the day...

It's a no-brainer aint it? Brown is Scottish and he's Prime Minister. They're gonna vote for him up there. When it comes to the crunch they'd rather have a Scot

in charge OF THE WHOLE COUNTRY that some Eton ponce with a Scottish name...

Thats not a given I'm afraid. Brown is very unpopular with those who would traditionally vote for a Scot for being Scottish. I speak, ofcourse, of the SNP.

It is no secret that Alex Salmond and, even his party membership, are praying for a Conservative win in the election. They have an Independence Referendum Bill coming up in the near future and they think that they will have a better chance of seeing it passed with Cameron in Number 10.

Luckily for people like me the SNP vote seems to be in decline at the moment.

I predict that the conservatives will win. Not that I'd like the conservatives to win, mind, but here's my reasoning: the election system pretty much assures that the winner will be either labour or the conservatives. My impression is that many UKians are fed up with Brown and labour. Labour's been in power for a long stretch, so it seems likely the voters will prefer the other fools.

In politics 13 weeks is a long time and external events, such as a naval war with Kiribati or a terrorist attack on Walmington-on-Sea, can influence the polls considerably.

Finally: I'm pants at this kind of game, so I'm probably completely wrong.

regrads,

Hein

I'll vote for anyone that will ensure that mouthy little vicious hoodie thugs do a good long stretch inside, that will ensure old people get treated with more care and respect by our welfare services, that will ensure the country is not eventually completely over-run with immigrants squatting in people's fucking garden sheds, and that will ensure our children are taught beneficial skills in school, and not crappy fucking so-called poetry about bollocks.

I'll vote for anyone that will ensure that mouthy little vicious hoodie thugs do a good long stretch inside, that will ensure old people get treated with more care and respect by our welfare services, that will ensure the country is not eventually completely over-run with immigrants squatting in people's fucking garden sheds, and that will ensure our children are taught beneficial skills in school, and not crappy fucking so-called poetry about bollocks.

Here you go. http://bnp.org.uk/policies/

Ah, a cry for law and order, combined with completely unfounded xenophobia, focussing on the dark fears of the common people, deep mistrust of anything elitist and heartfelt contempt for high culture... if you'd wear clogs, you could vote for this guy. Actually: you can have him. For free.

I'm afraid there's no one to vote for then.

Although I am a dyed in the wool Conservative (both big & little C) I have little time for CameraOn and his cohorts (with the exception of wee Willie Hague). Who ever gets in will have to face up to a really big mess......

Which got me thinking; who in their right mind would want the job. Massively unpopular decisions will have to be taken which will ensure that either they will be forced to U turn or there will be an election which they will lose heavily. Perhaps the Conservatives are playing a brilliant game in which they do just enough to lose and then wait for Brown to fuck it up and ensure Nu Labour never get in again.

My fervent wish is that they all just piss off and leave us alone. 3,600 new laws (including over 450 new ones that give powers of forced entry to unelected officials) in the last ten years have not made life any better.

Here you go. http://bnp.org.uk/policies/

How predictable.

Which got me thinking; who in their right mind would want the job. Massively unpopular decisions will have to be taken which will ensure that either they will be forced to U turn or there will be an election which they will lose heavily. Perhaps the Conservatives are playing a brilliant game in which they do just enough to lose and then wait for Brown to fuck it up and ensure Nu Labour never get in again.

Don't be silly. Dave wants his place in history as the man who fixed Britain.

Broken economy.

Broken society.

Broken family.

Broken f**king record.

I'm afraid there's no one to vote for then.

Although I am a dyed in the wool Conservative (both big & little C) I have little time for CameraOn and his cohorts (with the exception of wee Willie Hague). Who ever gets in will have to face up to a really big mess......

My fervent wish is that they all just piss off and leave us alone. 3,600 new laws (including over 450 new ones that give powers of forced entry to unelected officials) in the last ten years have not made life any better.

Maybe that's where we're heading. Collective responsibility for getting us put of this mess = coalition government. We had it the 10s, 20s, 30s & 40s and it got us through 2 World Wars and 2 Depressions. The law making process would be slowed down and indeed compromised. But perhaps that's what's needed rather than a succession of governments with their pre-set agendas...

Well, let me see... I don't know much about politics, but I'm sure the best man will win on the day.

I don't think it matters who we vote in, all parties are going to screw us into the ground. They will all be targeting the public sector workers.

I don't think it matters who we vote in, all parties are going to screw us into the ground. They will all be targeting the public sector workers.

Yes, and I'm one of them... :rolleyes:

Whoever wins it will be more of the same, over the next 4 years. Everybody loses.

Then get off yer bum and take over then.....

....thought not!

<-- I put my vote in this poll for the Tories. Not that I want them to win, I would much sooner want the country's politics to stay left of centre. Give the Greens a go this time I say. Failing that the Lib-Dems would be better than New Labour. I put a load of effort into helping push the Tories out of office in '97 and I must admit this crowd has come up short every time it really counted.

Any way the question says who's going to win. My answer is in line with "a win" being the popular vote - I'm sure the Tories will poll more votes than Labour - but the odds are stacked in Labour's favour if the swing is 4% or less. I can see a situation of Labour having a hand full of seats more than the Tories (without an overall majority) and trying to limp into a pact with the Lib-Dems. If they can't get a deal to stick then the Lib-Dems may switch to back the Tories.

From here it’s only a loss for the Lib-Dems.

One of the two main parties may get the overall majority and they have to wait another 5 years.

They become the king maker party and see no benefit due to their minor part.

My tactic in any leader’s role would be to not stand a candidate in any seat where the party came 3rd or lower last time, especially if my last candidate polled less than 30%. This would open the field to those remaining and show to the voters which party really carries forward an expectation of winning.

Also I would have candidates only drawn from local district councillors. Too many of the prospective MP's are pulled off a list of the leaders best mates. Not only that I think all MP's should live and work pretty-much full time in their constituency, only attending one working week a month in Westminster. (Hotel accommodation (typically Holiday Inn) & 2nd class rail travel) allowance paid for, for those within a journey time of 4 hours (beyond that range - budget air fair thrown in) Most of their workload can be done remotely without adding to the hot air problem.

For those 30 people in a cabinet role I would promote the candidates who came 2nd in the general election. This would free those with executive roles to concentrate on the nation issues without the pull down effect of 50,000 people all wanting minor issues and questions sorted out on a constantly rotating basis.

In short the UK is in the sh!t - most of us will get what we don't wish for - and the rest can go swing.

PS I'd love to have the job. But I really don't think a one man effort can draw down 20,000 votes. It needs that team role and in truth the UK public are not good at being team players behind unknowns. Therefore you have to at least be a minor mate of a party leader and be half way up their ar5e to stand in the first place.

...thought not!

I went one better than that and left the country completely! I have no desire to follow a career as a professional liar politician. I worked for the local authority, for a while, and saw just how fucked up local government actually is. I couldn't sleep at night seeing people in poverty and then having to see how mismanaged the system is. The last meeting, I had the misfortune of going to, was a meeting to decide whether they should schedule more meetings.

If voting changed anything they'd make it illegal. Whoever wins, in May, the only beneficiaries are the people that are voted in. The popular vote lies with the apathists. The ones who will just not miss Pop Idle to visit the polls.

The bottom line is, whoever is elected into Westminster, petrol prices will rise and you will have less money in your pocket.

Enjoy your election race! :rolleyes:

...thought not!

I went one better than that and left the country completely! I have no desire to follow a career as a professional liar politician. I worked for the local authority, for a while, and saw just how fucked up local government actually is. I couldn't sleep at night seeing people in poverty and then having to see how mismanaged the system is. The last meeting, I had the misfortune of going to, was a meeting to decide whether they should schedule more meetings.

If voting changed anything they'd make it illegal. Whoever wins, in May, the only beneficiaries are the people that are voted in. The popular vote lies with the apathists. The ones who will just not miss Pop Idle to visit the polls.

The bottom line is, whoever is elected into Westminster, petrol prices will rise and you will have less money in your pocket.

Enjoy your election race! :rolleyes:

Where do you live?

According to a leaflet stuck in my door, this morning our local (Conservative) MP paid me a visit. Fortunately for all concerned, I was still in bed.