maryportfuncity

Old Folkies Home

Legendary American folkie Odetta, is seriously ill with kidney failure.

• Like 1

The Sun interviewed unsteady unidexter John Martyn today. Revealing a new album called 'Willing to Work' in the pipeline, along with a tour involving playing the whole of Grace and Danger from end to end. Then again, their piece starts with a confused barman finally realising that two brandies and one measure of port are supposed to go into one glass for Martyn, around lunchtime!

Back to the original post, Wizz Jones is still up and at 'em around London Town. Davy Graham is looking old but in decent health nowadays despite his somewhat wayward lifestyle, although I haven't seen him for a year or so. He played an impromptu gig in my mates' garden last year... a neighbour introduced him with the words, "This is Davy, he plays the guitar too." Jaws dropped and fingers turned to jelly... "err, you could play this one if you like Mate!"

Top Man.

Someone, obviously not Davey Graham, has updated his website to say that he's died of lung cancer

Back to the original post, Wizz Jones is still up and at 'em around London Town. Davy Graham is looking old but in decent health nowadays despite his somewhat wayward lifestyle, although I haven't seen him for a year or so. He played an impromptu gig in my mates' garden last year... a neighbour introduced him with the words, "This is Davy, he plays the guitar too." Jaws dropped and fingers turned to jelly... "err, you could play this one if you like Mate!"

Top Man.

Someone, obviously not Davey Graham, has updated his website to say that he's died of lung cancer

:mellow:DADGADzooks, that's SADBAD news. Having said that, if I never hear Anji again it'll be too soon.

Guardian obit and video tribute (including Anji).

Nice to see John Martyn getting a New Year Honour. Sadly, he misses out on a Monoped of the British Empire, but receives the consolation of an 'Opper of the British Empire.

However...

... who worked with Eric Clapton and Phil Collins over a 40-year career...

I'd want a f*****g knighthood for that.

Can he stay sober enough to find Buck House and get his honour?

BBC Four begins a three-part series cheekily entitled Folk America on 23rd Jan, with the opening edition looking at the beginnings of recorded folk/blues in the late 1920s. As well as featuring some bloody great music and being an interesting history lesson, it also has interviews with at least three musicians that were around then and are still around now: guitarist Slim Bryant, banjoist Wade Mainer (both centenarians) and delta bluesman Blind Lemon Pie David 'Honeyboy' Edwards, a mere stripling of 94.

If you're feeling wealthy you could then shell out for this little beauty.

Speaking as a long-time fan, this is sad news. I saw him play brilliantly, and turn in some desperate gigs. I would take issue with the following in his obit, mind.

But the singer battled with drugs and alcohol throughout his career.

I'd say; 'the singer embraced drugs and acohol throughout his career and the substances embraced battled his health to a standstill.'

Curse you, you Cumbrian Cur!

It was this update that knocked the ululating unihoof out of the hopping running for my DDP2009 team.

The Sun interviewed unsteady unidexter John Martyn today. Revealing a new album called 'Willing to Work' in the pipeline, along with a tour involving playing the whole of Grace and Danger from end to end. Then again, their piece starts with a confused barman finally realising that two brandies and one measure of port are supposed to go into one glass for Martyn, around lunchtime!

ATJ, I passed on The Sun's 'news' about what he was drinking.

I left him out too, since he seemed a hard one to call. Was never gonna last too long, but the exact timing was always chancey.

No offence meant or hopefully taken, Mary. To be honest it was only an excuse to give the phrase 'ululating unihoof' possibly its only ever outing.

Lovely bit of youtubery, Harry, but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that the phrase 'Solid Air' does sound a little bit like an accidental follow-through.

Nah, no offence taken ATJ. It's a frustrating old game eh? 3 of my HPDP line up carked between Jan 1st and the starting gun.....De Jesus, Llewellyn and Stone. Then again, it might prove to be a blessing since two of them were in the low scoring places on that list. So, yeah, it's a very inexact science, even when you're studying the form of a blatant alcholic.

I'm wondering:

1 - Will they be specific about the cause of death?

2 - Is Willing to Work in any fit state to be released and - if so - will it be a decent late period run out, like On the Cobbles, and therefore fitting epitaph or just another lacklustre rambling mess, like Glasgow Walker?

Nah, no offence taken ATJ. It's a frustrating old game eh? 3 of my HPDP line up carked between Jan 1st and the starting gun.....De Jesus, Llewellyn and Stone. Then again, it might prove to be a blessing since two of them were in the low scoring places on that list. So, yeah, it's a very inexact science, even when you're studying the form of a blatant alcholic.

I'm wondering:

1 - Will they be specific about the cause of death?

2 - Is Willing to Work in any fit state to be released and - if so - will it be a decent late period run out, like On the Cobbles, and therefore fitting epitaph or just another lacklustre rambling mess, like Glasgow Walker?

They're claiming pneumonia on his wiki page.

Final interview with the ornery 'opper/awkward amputee/cantankerous cripple/grouchy gimp.

Entertaining till the last, he reminds me of George Melly. Still can't escape a Nick Drake question, of course.

And that cow going through my windscreen didn't help. That nearly did for me, I tell you.

I honestly believe no man who has ever lived has had more fun than me...living full on is the best f*****g way to do it and I would absolutely do it all again in a f*****g moment.

Now 87 years old. A very respected musician, but does he make the list?

(Pete Seeger, For next year?) atj.

Interview with Pete Seeger in this month's Mojo magazine. He looks good for another 10 years

Gielgud-lookylikey Seeger is 90 tomorrow and as busy as ever. He's on Radio 4 this very moment, in fact.

Got a cool banjo and all.

this-machine-surrounds-hate-and-forces-it-to-surrender.jpg

Typically wooly-minded slogan on the old devils frying-pan there. I much prefer a good Woody.

By the way, did you know that a definition of a true gentleman is one who knows how to play the banjo, but doesn't.

this_machine_kills_fascists.gif

Doc Watson is still breathing, something I only discovered today. A little more than can be said of his son Merle who died in circumstances suited to a Monty Python sketch in 1985.

Merle was DIYing after midnight - as you do - when a huge splinter became embedded in his arm. He showed awesome powers of calm and pain tolerance, driving his tractor to neighbours who helped him remove the splinter and bandage himself, only for the tractor to lock its brakes on the return journey, throw him off and fall on top of him, crushing him to death in seconds.

Mike Seeger, half brother of Pete and an accomplished folkie in his own right, in now in a hospice having discontinued treatment for the lethally unlucky combination of leukemia and multiple myeloma.

Mike Seeger, half brother of Pete and an accomplished folkie in his own right, in now in a hospice having discontinued treatment for the lethally unlucky combination of leukemia and multiple myeloma.

Hmmmm, bang on the borderline of obit-worthy UK I reckon. CPDP might be a different matter, how big is Bluegrass in Canada?

He's dead.

• Like 1