Hey dudes the day he dies is the day the irish public will celabrate check out his f*****g veiw on catholics its f**ked up he thinks they are sinners what a fruitcake.As a catholic i have no hatred for any other person on this planet except this C-word go give the loon S**t for me will yas

http://www.ianpaisley.org/main.asp

So your a catholic? Averagely about how many commandments

do you break a day?

I think we're covering old ground discovering Paisley's fetid little corner of the world wide web. You couldn't make the man up. If there is a God what he'll make of the Reverend Ian would be interesting to know.

I think I mentioned once before, Dave Allen used to do a joke about a church hopper trying to visit a church of every denomination in the UK. He got to Northern Ireland where Paisley threw him out of his church. The bloke was on his knees that night praying to God to be allowed in the church to complete all the denominations. In a flash God appeared to him and said: 'Forget it, I can't even get myself in that one!'

In a flash God appeared to him and said: 'Forget it, I can't even get myself in that one!'

A bit like The Royal Forums, then.

Indeed not.

God would be most welcome at The Royal Forums as long as he behaved himself.

Elspeth

Hello Elspeth, welcome back. Where have you been?

My guess is the seventh layer of Hell.

Hello Elspeth, welcome back.  Where have you been?

My guess is the seventh layer of Hell.

Now,now windsor, thats not very nice, she is a member and she is entitled to her opinion as well as any one else. Even if we disagree with it ;)

Guest Guest

I've been fighting the forces of religious bigotry and fundamentalism, thank you for asking. So I'm quite used to being consigned to hell; it happens on a tediously regular basis. ;)

Argh! Forgot to log in again. Sigh.

I've been fighting the forces of religious bigotry and fundamentalism, thank you for asking. So I'm quite used to being consigned to hell; it happens on a tediously regular basis. ;)

No, it's a subtle reference to the majority of my on-line life and an increasing amount of my off-line life, which involves trying to stop creationists taking over science education in the United Kingdom and the United States.

I get consigned to hell at least once a month - sometimes more often during particularly intense battles.

...trying to stop creationists taking over science education ...

Congratulations on trying to stop the rot. Those blinkered "believers" tend not to listen to reason if it conflicts with their beliefs. Evolution isn't something that needs to be believed in, any more than the fact that the planets orbit the sun - it just happens, whether you believe in it or not. That's what they refuse to understand.

I wish you luck - I think you'll need it.

No, it's a subtle reference to the majority of my on-line life and an increasing amount of my off-line life, which involves trying to stop creationists taking over science education in the United Kingdom and the United States.

I get consigned to hell at least once a month - sometimes more often during particularly intense battles.

Elspeth, if you keep that up you might have to change your signature. It sounds to me like you'd need a healthy sense of humour in dealing with that lot.

The National Secular Society (in the UK) is fighting the battle against superstitionists taking over public life. I guess there must be a similar organisation in the US?

I think the Council for Secular Humanism and American Atheists might be the equivalent societies in the USA, but considering how religious the country is, they don't have a high profile. Most of the fights against religious extremists and their attempts to subvert the Constitution are led by the American Civil Liberties Union. As far as science is concerned, the organisation giving the greatest support to scientists in the fight against creationists is the National Center for Science Education.

http://www.ncseweb.org/

As far as having a sense of humour is concerned, sometimes the antics of the religious zealots make it very hard. These people, and the flagrant dishonesty of so much of what they do to impose their religion on the rest of us, make me really angry a lot of the time. And trying to explain even basic science to some of them is extremely frustrating because they've been brainwashed since young childhood to believe that their pastors and ministers always tell the truth, scientists are evil atheists trying to send childrens' souls to Satan, and their biology teachers are lying to them if they don't toe the creationist line. These people, who admit on the one hand to not really know much about science, are very ready to dismiss the entire body of work in the biological sciences if that's what it takes to shore up their beliefs. There are some significant creationist inroads in the UK at the moment too, especially with the Vardy schools and with Tony Blair's insistence on these bloody faith-based schools everywhere. Answers in Genesis, a major US creationist organisation, has offices in the UK. And then there's this wish-list for Bible-based education in the UK:

http://www.christian.org.uk/html-publications/lectures.html

and their science one, which they took off the website after the Emmanuel College publicity a few years ago but which was saved as a cached version:

http://www.darwinwars.com/lunatic/liars/layfield.html

Anyway, sorry for the digression. It's not safe to get me started on this subject, except that religious extremism is sort of relevant where Ian Paisley is concerned.

I've been keeping a close eye on Rev Paisley ('cos I'd really like him to die) - and I think he looks quite a lot healthier now than he did six months ago.

I suspect he has been suffering from prostate cancer, but is now in remission. Most inconsiderate from a DL point of view.

I once asked my died as to why the IRA never attempted to kill Paisley. He replied that Ian Paisley was the best advertisment for republicanism that the IRA had...

I once asked my died as to why the IRA never attempted to kill Paisley. He replied that Ian Paisley was the best advertisment for republicanism that the IRA had...

It is surprising that he is in fact a minister, given his intolerant attitude.

It is surprising that he is in fact a minister, given his intolerant attitude.

History shows those two things are quite compatible.

regards,

Hein

Never thought about it before, but that is very true, your Dad was right.

Never thought about it before, but that is very true, your Dad was right.

He definitely is. Ian Paisley has certainly been a detriment to the public opinion of the loyalists in NI.