Davey Jones' Locker

What Do You Think Of The 2015 Death List?

Good to see Zsa Zsa Gabor at the top spot.

I hope she accepts the DL's Committee decision to appoint her No:1,

and replicate what Ronnie Biggs did when he made the top of the list, by giving us a hit��

Surely this year must be Zsa Zsa's year after seeing those photos of her a few weeks ago she looks like she is just hanging on though in fairness we have been saying that for the last decade and knowing Zsa Zsa we will probably still be saying it on the 1st January 2025.

Roberts, Nimoy, Sallis, Adulyadej, Crowe, MacNee, Simon all seem good bets not to see 2016. Then there's the Valerie Harper chance, and and the random nature of the older picks. Ten will happen eventually, perhaps more.

As for Molinaro and pals, the Committee have their old favourites who only leave the list by dying. Fair enough, its their list. The folk with 6 or more appearances to their name will I suspect be on the list till death, so they avoid the Patrick Moore repeat.

I think the committee made on the overall accurate choices for this new year, as I myself took 13 names from their list for my own.

However there is some big omissions like Abdelaziz Bouteflika, René Angelil & Scott Putesky which could easily have found a place in 2015 croaking list, these three are definitely going six feets under in that coming year.

but wait & see now, 2015 will for sure have its dose of surprises :old:

Better than last year. Could still be better, but then I haven't yet attempted to collect 50 names on one list myself.

It is definitely better than last year's effort. However still a little crappy in places and no Sutcliffe means I say "fuck em".....

For my opinion the DL 2015 is to UK-heavy, but thats almost every year so.

would be good to remove the Britain-glasses in future and think more international.

nevertheless there are some very good choices like Jim Roberts, Helmut Kohl, Leo Nimoy and John Nash.

Zsa Zsa for No. 1 is very merit.

Can someone explain to me, cause Sir Nicolas Winton (106 years) is not included? I mean, he`s a britain, too :)

• Like 1

would be good to remove the Britain-glasses in future and think more international.

nevertheless there are some very good choices like Jim Roberts, Helmut Kohl, Leo Nimoy and John Nash.

Can someone explain to me, cause Sir Nicolas Winton (106 years) is not included? I mean, he`s a britain, too :)

In their defence, the criteria is that someone's death will be covered by the UK media, therefore they can justify making the list Anglo-centric

• Like 1

I am impressed with the list and think it has great potential.Everyone the list is either ancient or in horrible shape.I reckon we will get twenty:

1)Zsa Zsa Gabor

2)Sam Simon

3)Joao Havelange

4)Martin Crowe

5)Billy Graham

6)Vera Lynn

7)Al Molinaro

8)George Cole

9)Bhumibol Adulyadej

10)Chris Woodhead

11)Liz Smith

12)Peter Sallis

13)Bill Maynard

14)Leonard Nimoy

15)Patrick Macnee

16)Denis Norden

17)Doris Day

18)Nancy Reagan

19)Maureen O`Hara

20)Leslie Philips.

The only big misses I think we will have are Mary Tyler Moore, Antony Booth ,Sir Nicholas Winton and Muhammad Ali.

• Like 1

Good thing took Stan Lee off, that'll save them being lynched by a bunch of crazed James-Holmes-type comic book loonies.

That's more because Winton was an unmemberable Member of Parliament. Power is in cabinet and departmental decisions.

Denis Healey was an arse in government. Sold and cut and spent and wasted millions and maybe billions.

That's more because Winton was an unmemberable Member of Parliament. Power is in cabinet and departmental decisions.

Denis Healey was an arse in government. Sold and cut and spent and wasted millions and maybe billions.

Winton was the British chap who saved lots of Jewish children from the Nazis. Are you thinking of Norman Winterton, non-entity ex Tory MP?

Winton was the British chap who saved lots of Jewish children from the Nazis. Are you thinking of Norman Winterton, non-entity ex Tory MP?

I'm pretty sure there was an MP called Nicholas Winton too, but he seems to have been expunged from history.

ETA ah, no it was Nicholas Winterton http://en.wikipedia....holas_Winterton

My first impression was that I was not impressed. Too many exceptionally elderly folks on it to make it feel good. Then I reconsidered and realized that if they made it past 90 they were indeed able to outwit death somehow so there would be something of a cat and mouse chase going on which would prove to be exciting. So, in second impression I kind of liked the list although as always there are at least 33% that I haven't an inkling as to who they are. That too can be good since it causes me to research them and learn about otherwise unknowns (at least unknowns to myself).

• Like 2

On the whole I think this is a pretty good list. There are a couple that I would probably substitute for ones that were more likely, but then again there are quite a few I've missed off my shadow list. If I could extend my list to 60 or even 70, I would still find more and would want to extend my list even further.

I probably would have swapped out Harper Lee and put Muhammed Ali instead, some of the others have been quiet for so long that we have no idea what their health is.

At this very moment I can only see six of the 50, that's down to some temporary technical issue, or summat, right?

At this very moment I can only see six of the 50, that's down to some temporary technical issue, or summat, right?

You're quite right. I thought I solved that. I'll investige the matter immediately.

regards,

Hein

You're quite right. I thought I solved that. I'll investige the matter immediately.

Sussed! I didn't even know there was a forum setting for "don't show posts older than ...".

regards,

Hein

What's appearent is that this group of people can be roughly divided into 6 categories, so there's not much diversity. Especially the Top 4 A-League are dominant, as I like to call it.

Actors & actresses: Thespians, hams and all inbetween. This is the biggest category.

Gabor

Havilland

Macnee

Douglas

Molinaro

Harper

O'Hara

Phillips

Kercheval

Day

Cole

Sallis

Nimoy

Reagan

Smith

Lee

Maynard

Large

Authority figures: These are the leaders of organizations, nations and other stuff that end with -tions.

Havelange

Cuellar

Healey

Bush

Phillip

Woodhead

Schmidt

Castro

Abdulyadej

Kohl

Dole

Kissinger

Mubarak

Mugabe

Authors: Those who create a work of fiction for the enjoyment of others and are gifted with the pen (most are too old for keyboards, I reckon).

Wouk

Lee

Adams

Simon (yes, he counts here)

Athletes: Running's & excersising good for your health, but it doesn't make you immortal. So for that, these sportsmen make up the last part of the the Top 4 A-League.

Crowe

Westhuizen

Lamotta

Roberts

TV personalities: They're the ones who were active in television but didn't necessarily "play" any fictive roles. They're mostly presenters, commentators and hosts.

James

O'Sullevan

Norden

Michelmore

PS. I know that they're numerous enough to be in the above mentioned top 4 A-league, but that would ruin the whole thing so...

Musicians: An underused category IMO.

King

Lynn

Berry

Miscellaneous: A religious figure, a mathematician and a billionaire all in one category.

Graham

Nash

Kevorkian

Conclusion: We need more celebrities from different fields of career.

I think that having a bias towards authority and acting is necessary as there is more media information available on these people when ill. I personally think the list this year is really strong and that we will get many hits. Quotas for professions isn`t desirable in my view is the aim is to get the most notable deaths in any given year so the only two criteria we should use if a person is famous enough is their age and/or health.

Diappointed by the incluson of Roberts.

Not sure about Nash as he was not on my radar at all, likewise Kerkorian but at that age you can't argue. I think Mubarak may have a little longer left in him.

I would have kept Brady, inlcuded a soap matriarch (Alexander/Dawn/Kelly/Mercier) and put Tony Booth on the list.

Time will tell I need to do more research.

• Like 1

Good list. Should do better this year I reckon...

I have 29/50 in common with my shadow list. I had to replace Luise Rainer with Peter Sutcliffe from the one I previously posted.

What's appearent is that this group of people can be roughly divided into 6 categories, so there's not much diversity. Especially the Top 4 A-League are dominant, as I like to call it.

Actors & actresses: Thespians, hams and all inbetween. This is the biggest category.

Gabor

Havilland

Macnee

Douglas

Molinaro

Harper

O'Hara

Phillips

Kercheval

Day

Cole

Sallis

Nimoy

Reagan

Smith

Lee

Maynard

Large

Authority figures: These are the leaders of organizations, nations and other stuff that end with -tions.

Havelange

Cuellar

Healey

Bush

Phillip

Woodhead

Schmidt

Castro

Abdulyadej

Kohl

Dole

Kissinger

Mubarak

Mugabe

Authors: Those who create a work of fiction for the enjoyment of others and are gifted with the pen (most are too old for keyboards, I reckon).

Wouk

Lee

Adams

Simon (yes, he counts here)

Athletes: Running's & excersising good for your health, but it doesn't make you immortal. So for that, these sportsmen make up the last part of the the Top 4 A-League.

Crowe

Westhuizen

Lamotta

Roberts

TV personalities: They're the ones who were active in television but didn't necessarily "play" any fictive roles. They're mostly presenters, commentators and hosts.

James

O'Sullevan

Norden

Michelmore

PS. I know that they're numerous enough to be in the above mentioned top 4 A-league, but that would ruin the whole thing so...

Musicians: An underused category IMO.

King

Lynn

Berry

Miscellaneous: A religious figure, a mathematician and a billionaire all in one category.

Graham

Nash

Kevorkian

Conclusion: We need more celebrities from different fields of career.

What other areas of life do you think that we should inlcude?

We all have a cultural life that would include actors, writers, TV personalities and musicians, we all exist in the world of a politcal dimension and that is ruled by politicians and royalty, we then have a working life and it is probably the field of business that is under represented and then we get to sport - it seems to me that because most sportsmen (and women) have relatively short carers early in life it is easy to forget them. There are many celebrities who span the categories above because you could easily put Clive James down as a writer rather than a presenter.

Consider yourself lucky one player in my work game picked Josie Cunningham as her wildcard. I now know who she is and I cannot remove this information from my brain no matter how much I wish to.

• Like 1