maryportfuncity

Deadio Times

First Cut on Channel Four this coming Friday - 4th - at 7.30 is running a programme on people who are terminally ill. Bearing in mind the Cancer Diaries a few years back this could rocket one or two of the participants to a level of fame garnering them fleeting tabloid mentions when they go.

Ah but don't DL rules stipulate that a person cannot be included if they are famous solely because they are about to die?

You've missed it anyway, so no need to worry.

• Like 1

BBC 1 packing a ghoul fest at 9-00 tonight when the inside story of the capture and conviction of all-round scum-royalty Levi Bellfield is told. Likely to be grim but gripping, the only good news; well, it takes ages to kill someone and dispose of the body, so when he was engaged like that there would be a few errant motorists avoiding wheelclamps!

For those of you who've retuned your freeview box recently, "Really", the reality TV channel, is now available gratis. Not much in the way of classic TV there, but for those of us with an interest in dying celebs they are showing every episode of "Celebrity Rehab" at the moment. Being as two of the shows "stars" have already shared their final needle (Jeff Conaway and the bassist from Alice in Chains), you can probably fill your upcoming year's team with cast members. Tom Sizemore really doesn't look long for this world.

The following turned up on my email today from someone involved in the show. Radio 4, 11-30am, Thursday 13 September

Years before the super-cool graffiti of Banksy and his ilk, guerrilla art was being pioneered on condemned buildings in Rochdale. Walter Kershaw brightened up bridges, transformed toilets and glorified gable-ends. His work was large scale. Poppies the size of a house and a portrait of Alvin Stardust that covered an old shop (it WAS the 1970s).

Kershaw's art upset local authorities but delighted many locals. Wherever he painted he drew a crowd and soon residents were requesting him to paint their houses. He sought no fee and knew that his work would fade or be bulldozed, but he persisted. There were no slogans, no protests and nothing overtly political. This really was art for art's sake.

Mark Hodkinson, who grew up around Rochdale, meets Walter and takes him back to his old haunts. He meets Walter's accomplices and the art historians who put his work in context. He discovers what makes Walter tick and what he thinks of the current crop of graffiti artists

On Saturday Strictley Come Dancing will return to our screens allowing Bruce Forsyth to justify his exclusion from the list for another 12 months but veteran children's TV presenter Johnny Ball is set to be the oldest contestent they have had. (He is still younger than Brucie)

I wish Johnny well and hope to enjoy his latin routines set to Fat Boy Slim tunes, but out of curiosity will the Deathlisters boost the BBC viewing figures. Bearing in mind the alternative is to go to the other end of the spectrum and pick up some pointers from X factor for some wannabes who may well have drank/overdosed/debauched themselves to death by 25.

On Saturday Strictley Come Dancing will return to our screens allowing Bruce Forsyth to justify his exclusion from the list for another 12 months but veteran children's TV presenter Johnny Ball is set to be the oldest contestent they have had. (He is still younger than Brucie)

I wish Johnny well and hope to enjoy his latin routines set to Fat Boy Slim tunes, but out of curiosity will the Deathlisters boost the BBC viewing figures. Bearing in mind the alternative is to go to the other end of the spectrum and pick up some pointers from X factor for some wannabes who may well have drank/overdosed/debauched themselves to death by 25.

Are some of Amy Winehouse's relatives auditioning then?

I hope Johnny Ball doesnt "reveal all"

I hope Johnny Ball doesnt "reveal all"

That would encourage you to "Think Again"

Maybe just me that's excited but...Shameless is back on tonight!!

Frank's got a job, apparently, first time (I think) since he was briefly in charge of an ice cream van a few years ago.

Talking of which, here's a shameless plug. Put your ears on, pop pickers, because the estimable Mister Dave Lee Maryportfuncity, aka the of-age female's John Peel, will be promoting Winterset's defiantly out-of-print 1992 single ("called, rather bafflingly, Horse of Mud" - the selfsame J Peel) on his wireless programme on Ruddy Marvellous Radio Miskin this Sunday between 10pm and midnight, and handing out the DL props with a specially-themed song and shout-out while he's about it.

By the way, re ^^ - they cancelled Shameless after the next season. For me, it jumped the killer whale five or six series back, but I still watch on occasion.

• Like 1

Re Shameless: got to agree, series 10 is the weakest to date and I think it'll survive the final series, but past-glories are the best where this one is concerned. Still thought the gag about Frank having shagged the whole estate bar one guy a goodie last night, mind.

Talking of which, here's a shameless plug. Put your ears on, pop pickers, because the estimable Mister Dave Lee Maryportfuncity, aka the of-age female's John Peel, will be promoting Winterset's defiantly out-of-print 1992 single ("called, rather bafflingly, Horse of Mud" - the selfsame J Peel) on his wireless programme on Ruddy Marvellous Radio Miskin this Sunday between 10pm and midnight, and handing out the DL props with a specially-themed song and shout-out while he's about it.

By the way, re ^^ - they cancelled Shameless after the next season. For me, it jumped the killer whale five or six series back, but I still watch on occasion.

Bump for topicality

Right, I'm tuned in but I know I'm going to fall asleep soon - I'm not techno-minded, can I download it afterwards to listen to later or summat?

Right, I'm tuned in but I know I'm going to fall asleep soon - I'm not techno-minded, can I download it afterwards to listen to later or summat?

Nope, but if you PM me with a postal address we can probs do it really - as in CD - old school.

Jook, awesome Mary. But to me, with respect, they're power pop. In the spirit of the greatest of all 70s genres, let's also big up Circus, Big Ash, Hudson Bros, Rick Springfield, Tim Moore, Klaatu, the Beckies, Artful Dodger and NRBQ. Don't get me started on 1980-2010 power pop.

Nope, but if you PM me with a postal address we can probs do it really - as in CD - old school.

With a very sporadic internet connection for the last 3 days I can't guarantee I will hear it all. Between 8 p.m this evening and now my router has disconnected 11 times,so I may be asking for a CD too. I managed to get the programme up and running after numerous attempts 20 minutes ago, do hope I haven't missed the DL shout out etc :(

What I have heard though, I have enjoyed, thanks MPFC.

With a very sporadic internet connection for the last 3 days I can't guarantee I will hear it all. Between 8 p.m this evening and now my router has disconnected 11 times,so I may be asking for a CD too. I managed to get the programme up and running after numerous attempts 20 minutes ago, do hope I haven't missed the DL shout out etc :(

Deadchat.

Jook, awesome Mary. But to me, with respect, they're power pop. In the spirit of the greatest of all 70s genres, let's also big up Circus, Big Ash, Hudson Bros, Rick Springfield, Tim Moore, Klaatu, the Beckies, Artful Dodger and NRBQ. Don't get me started on 1980-2010 power pop.

We did a lot of Klaatu a few months back on a special show of Beatles related stuff. Tim Moore...hmm, I've got Tim Moore and White Shadows (which I recall loving once over), might be worth dusting them off for some reinvestigation.

There have been reports over the past few days of a new Celeb talent show to be screened soon called SPLASH! in which Olympic poster boy Tom Daley will put celebrities through the mill in a diving competition. This leads me to have several thoughts.

1. Will Luis Suarez and Fernando Torres be taking part as they seem to be naturals in this area?

2. Celebrities will have to be carefully chosen - imagine seeing Chris Moyles in his Speedos! :puke:

3. Most importantly this has the potential to be a disaster of Late, Late Breakfast Show proportions. Maybe an alternative title could be "Tom Daley's Deadly Death Dive Show"

Artful Dodger

"Woman Trouble", "Movin' Too Fast", "Re-Rewind the Crowd Say Bo Selecta", all classics.

Same here, took me ages to get it going but worth the effort, thanks MPFC!

• Like 1