Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

Werner Herzog. Don't know why I'd assumed he was dead. He's not even that old. I was very embarrassed not to know that Colin Higgins died in 1988.

• Like 1

Cyril Smith (his recent fall is noted elsewhere on the site).

Now 77 years old, which is pretty good going for a man of his size!

Two-seater%20Cyril-Smith.jpgCyril%20Smith.jpg

Get your b*tch ass back in the kitchen in make me some pie.

A little classic South Park for the group.

... No pie for Jeremy. Norman will do him some eggs.

Gloria Vanderbilt

Actually, she's probably not that good of a choice. But I was utterly shocked to find out that her son is Anderson Cooper. And if you're not from North America, that probably made no sense to you, thus making this entire post pretty damn pointless. Ah well, sh*t happens.

Lionel Jeffries. I'm sure I read his obit a few years ago oh and the annoying kid in Temple of Doom, I was certain he was dead.

I was amazed that John Profumo is still alive, I thought he's popped his clogs years ago. According to Wiki,

Profumo was elected before any other living former British MP, in 1940.

I was amazed that John Profumo is still alive, I thought he's popped his clogs years ago. According to Wiki,

Profumo was elected before any other living former British MP, in 1940.

Interesting, one of the first things he did after being elected was to vote against Neville Chamberain - while wearing his army uniform!

He's done a heck of a lot of charity work since the Christine Keeler affair, but is looking very frail recently.

Esther Ofarim. Not sure about her ex-husband Abi. (You need to be a certain age to remember them!)

Esther Ofarim. Not sure about her ex-husband Abi. (You need to be a certain age to remember them!)

Did they sing Cinderella Rockafella? My mum used to play that all the time. For some reason I thought they were brother and sister. I obviously spent too long listening to the Carpenters

I hope he had to pay double for his seat(s).

People taking up two seats really annoy me. On Tuesday for example, the bus had one seat left and the guy on the next one had his shopping on it. So some other poor guy had to stand for 10 miles until someone got off. In my opinion - the seat hogger should have been charged double.

And another thing that annoys me - pensioners free bus journeys. This just encourages them to travel and they take up bus seats like they do hospital beds. Theres a general rule that you may not stand (although some bend it). So if your bus is full, it just drives straight past you and you have to wait an hour for the next one.

That's my rant over now....

Two-seater%20Cyril-Smith.jpg

I am right in saying that is good-old Thorpey sitting behind him on the right, am I not?

It certainly looks like Mr. Thorpe

And the older guy is Jo Grimond, of course.

It's all clear now - it's just been a while since I've seen them in anything but posed shots.

Did they sing Cinderella Rockafella? My mum used to play that all the time. For some reason I thought they were brother and sister. I obviously spent too long listening to the Carpenters

How's Richard Carpenter these days? I always thought the Carpenters were somewhat spooky. (Karen had a fab voice though)

How's Richard Carpenter these days? I always thought the Carpenters were somewhat spooky. (Karen had a fab voice though)

Yes there was something a bit odd about them, though she did have a great voice. As far as I can tell Richard is in perfect health. He married his cousin and fathered 5 children. So he's sick in another way.

Yes there was something a bit odd about them, though she did have a great voice. As far as I can tell Richard is in perfect health. He married his cousin and fathered 5 children. So he's sick in another way.

Good thing Karen died otherwise he might have married her. Imagine what the children would've been like.

While studying for my History of the Ottoman Empire midterm yesterday, I was surprised to find that two people connected to the study were still alive:

Otto von Habsburg, the eldest son of Karl I of Austria, 93 going on 94.

Ertugrul Osman V, patriarch of the Ottoman dynasty, 93 going on 94.

I was going to keep them a secret and sneak them on my 2007 DDP, but on further thought I realized that it's always better to share, plus I'm not sure I want to use them anyhow.

And no one took me up on my other suggestions anyways. :(

One more that's on my mind for today: Pete Seeger, I thought he'd died ages ago.

Not sure if he's famous enough in the UK, or if anyone on DL knows who he is... I'll admit that I'm not some hardcore fan of his, but I get his jist.

I was quite underwhelmed to find out that Max Bygraves was still around albeit down under, because the climates good for his health. Oh well thats our gain and Australias loss then.

I always wondered what the name of the guy who played Bungle was.

Stanley Bates is a bit elusive, no date of birth on imdb, and I could only find this old photo of him.

b172gz.jpg

What a way to spend the bulk of his career, in a giant teddy bear suit. <_<

• Haha 1

One more that's on my mind for today: Pete Seeger, I thought he'd died ages ago.

Not sure if he's famous enough in the UK, or if anyone on DL knows who he is... I'll admit that I'm not some hardcore fan of his, but I get his jist.

I swqaw seeeger recently duting the PBs Documentary on Bob Dylan... Seems to be haniging in there okay.

• Like 1