themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

5 years ago (7/27) we lost one good guy -- Maury Chakin -- and one bad guy -- Jack "The Assassin" Tatum.
jhJgkb5P0oAW7QtULjqD2kaN0ez.jpg539w.jpg
SirC

• Like 1

5 years ago (7/27) we lost one good guy -- Maury Chakin -- and one bad guy -- Jack "The Assassin" Tatum.

jhJgkb5P0oAW7QtULjqD2kaN0ez.jpg539w.jpg

SirC

Not sure why my font fucked off there...

• Haha 1

90 years ago, after losing three presidential elections William Jennings Bryan lost the argument on evolution and gave up the ghost aged 65.william-jennings-bryan-200.jpg

35 years to the day Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, the last Shah of Iran died aged 60. This was just over a year after he was forced to pack a toothbrush and leave home rather quickly.

mohammad-reza-pahlavi.jpg

We lost Hope exactly a dozen years ago.

He was a century young.

Let not the day pass without noting the 265th anniversary of the death of Johann Sebastian Bach aged 65. Wonder if anyone played organ at the funeral?

johann-sebastian-bach.jpg

• Like 1

And 11 years ago Francis Crick's DNA began to break down at the age of 88.

francis-crick.jpg

• Like 2

Two years ago Eileen Breenan passed away from cancer.

Most people remembered her role in Private Benjamin, but I always knew her as Ms. Bannister in that '80s Pippi Longstocking movie.

Vincent van Gogh aged 37, 125 years ago put down his brush and picked up a gun. Artists!

vincent-van-gogh.jpg

25 years ago, Ian Gow MP aged 53, suffered the consequences for not increasing his personal security.

144px-Ian_Gow_circa_1983.jpg

On this day in 1419 the First Defenestration of Prague occurred, when an enraged mob threw a judge and thirteen members of the council from the windows of the town hall.

King Wenceslaus IV of Bohemia apparently died of shock shortly after he was informed of these events.

first-defenestration-in-prague.jpg

140 years ago 7/31/1875, the 17th President of the US of A, Andrew Johnson.325px-JOHNSON%2C_Andrew-President_%28BEP

Fernando Sancho died this day aged 72. Famous for being a 'mexican' in the Ringo movies.

Sir Bobby Robson died this day 6 years ago aged 76, brilliant manager and one of the nicest men ever in football, true legend, much missed.

• Like 2

985 years ago -- yes, 985 -- Marc Antony. 220px-M_Antonius_modified.png

35 years ago, one of my favourites, Strother Martin 225px-Cool_Hand_Luke_Martin.jpg

"What we've got here is...failure to communicate."

That line is a meme within itself, but it always struck me that Martin's reading of the line was entirely different from what you'd imagine. You think "tough guy" then you get the ultimate in job Nazi, justifying and escaping behind the badge with a sort of slimy security. It's great.

Sorry, thesp-geek.

985 years ago -- yes, 985 -- Marc Antony. 220px-M_Antonius_modified.png

35 years ago, one of my favourites, Strother Martin 225px-Cool_Hand_Luke_Martin.jpg

Think you have your years wrong. Didn't Marc Antony die 30 bc?

• Like 1

In 1997 Gary Powers couldn't survive a second crash but died a hero aged 47.

1985 years ago -- yes, 1985 -- Marc Antony. 220px-M_Antonius_modified.png

Think you have your years wrong. Didn't Marc Antony die 30 bc?
You are right!

Would make him 985 + 60, so 2045 years, thus doubly surpassing officially the 1000th death anniversary I posted for St Vladimir

SC

Timothy Claypole became a real ghost 22 years ago today

You know, I didn't know until years later that he had died. Wasn't Rentaghost still going on at that time?

Same here. I'm pretty sure it was still be shown in repeats around the time he died.

Apparently it originally finished in 1984! I thought the series carried at least until the late eighties, but it seems they were repeats...

Sad as it may seem I've been pondering on this for the past six years. I finally decided to that Radio Times back copy site to see if Rentaghost was shown until the late 1980s as my memory told me it did. My memory was wrong.

Last time a standalone episode of Rentaghost was shown was October 1986, it wasn't shown again until 1990 as part of the 8.15 from Manchester (which I didn't watch).

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/40/20?order=desc&q=rentaghost#search

You know, I didn't know until years later that he had died. Wasn't Rentaghost still going on at that time?

Same here. I'm pretty sure it was still be shown in repeats around the time he died.

Apparently it originally finished in 1984! I thought the series carried at least until the late eighties, but it seems they were repeats...

Sad as it may seem I've been pondering on this for the past six years. I finally decided to that Radio Times back copy site to see if Rentaghost was shown until the late 1980s as my memory told me it did. My memory was wrong.

Last time a standalone episode of Rentaghost was shown was October 1986, it wasn't shown again until 1990 as part of the 8.15 from Manchester (which I didn't watch).

That's a great website to confirm or debunk myths of what I watched/didn't watch during the 80s. Still haven't found the overseas stop-animation film (possibly East European/Scandinavian origin) with Murray Walker guesting as the voice of the commentator during the race at the end with the all the animals...

That's a great website to confirm or debunk myths of what I watched/didn't watch during the 80s. Still haven't found the overseas stop-animation film (possibly East European/Scandinavian origin) with Murray Walker guesting as the voice of the commentator during the race at the end with the all the animals...

Maybe that was just the mushrooms....

915 years ago William II of England was killed by an arrow in the chest whilst out hunting. Seems that while he was hunting deer, someone was hunting him.

• Like 2

Maybe that was just the mushrooms....

Or red Smarties, according to myth...

• Like 1