Godot

What Are You Giving Up For Lent?

Pancakes tonight. Then no more DL or HDP , no peaking no lurking, no substitutes, no spuds, no bread for for 40 days. There is still time. The Godettes say they are giving up celery, bless their little cotton socks.

Pancakes tonight. Then no more DL or HDP , no peaking no lurking, no substitutes, no spuds, no bread for for 40 days. There is still time. The Godettes say they are giving up celery, bless their little cotton socks.

I had a jacket potato with tuna mayo last night, hadn't had it in ages till you mentioned it. I thought, yes I realise how difficult this might be to give up.

Bon appetit

Lemon and sugar or something a little risqué? I can't convince these waffle munchers to try lemon juice with their crepes. Scandalous!

Trust me on this: Orange segments squeezed on, a glug of Cointreau or Grand Marnier, some cream and a drizzle of golden syrup. Fold it up and tuck in. Orgasmic!

Trust me on this: Orange segments squeezed on, a glug of Cointreau or Grand Marnier, some cream and a drizzle of golden syrup. Fold it up and tuck in. Orgasmic!

Can't be. No chocolate.

Notapotato's mention of gravy reminded me that it's that time of year again. Pancakes on Tuesday - I love pancakes - then 40 days of going without something from Ash Wednesday. :dead:

You don't have to be religious to do this.

It seems to me that, unless one is a practising Christian, giving something up for Lent simply turns yet another religious ritual into an empty, meaningless gesture.

In other news, after a trip to the local Sainsbury's today I made blueberry pancakes for tea. We had pancakes with sausages for the savoury course, and then pancakes with bananas and chocolate sauce for afters. No wonder Jesus went on a crash diet afterwards - I personally was stuffed! Although let's face it - 40 days is a bit extremely. Talk about starving yourself to death.

It seems to me that, unless one is a practising Christian, giving something up for Lent simply turns yet another religious ritual into an empty, meaningless gesture.

In other news, after a trip to the local Sainsbury's today I made blueberry pancakes for tea. We had pancakes with sausages for the savoury course, and then pancakes with bananas and chocolate sauce for afters. No wonder Jesus went on a crash diet afterwards - I personally was stuffed! Although let's face it - 40 days is a bit extremely. Talk about starving yourself to death.

Do you have something against meaningless gestures? I suppose you want me to stop eating Easter bunnies as well.....or maybe I should cease twirling my Chanukah dreidel.....

I've given up the disgusting and reviling avocados, what could be more gestureful?

And just how does one make blueberry pancakes for tea? Wouldn;t it make sense, more sense that is to make tea for tea.....

I'm going to give up handshakes. 40 days of making people simultaneously nervous and angry when you ignore their outstretched hand. It sounds like fun. I kinardly wait for work tomorra.

I'm giving up my regular Godot fix, it seems. :lol:

I'll continue to give up religion.

Does this make me exempt? :lol:

Yes, but only on paying taxes upon your income.

Yes, but only on paying taxes upon your income.

Alright then - does it mean I'm excused?

I've given up pancakes, isn't that what Lent's all about? :lol:

Oh, and sex. Seem to manage that every year lent just a little too easily...

i forgot to stop watching Deal or No Deal. what happens to me now?

You go straight to hell.

Luckily for you, as Sartre said, "Hell is other Deathlisters," so you may be alright.

You go straight to hell.

Luckily for you, as Sartre said, "Hell is other Deathlisters," so you may be alright.

And besides, it turns out that hell isn't so bad after all. May I recommend Level 8 as The Place to Be.

I think my housemates have given up tidying,washing up,doing the washing, putting the bins out pretty much everything apart from ordering takeaways and watching anime. Grrr.

I'm about to put everybody in the Twilight Zone. I'm announcing, and not for no f****n religion, but I will give up Deathlist untill I have my first hit. I will not check Deathlist, I will not post, untill the first death hits the charts.

I tried, BS, my god I tried...but when you hit your lowest, my god, it seems as though the list is all you've got...

It looks like I gave up civilization for Lent.

***No &*%#@* WalMart for 20 miles, rassin frassin lack of broadband, people need to stop picking on my freakin' car.....

I tried, BS, my god I tried...but when you hit your lowest, my god, it seems as though the list is all you've got...

Not really but I figured it would be a way to prove my honesty. Unfortunately Maurice Papon died of heart failure later that day, so my bravery earned myself a free pass.

***No &*%#@* WalMart for 20 miles, rassin frassin lack of broadband, people need to stop picking on my freakin' car.....

Is there a connection between WalMart and civilisation?

I think it follows the inverse square law.

One stop shopping is very civilized.

Amazing as it might seem, just when you were breaking your New Year resolutions, we're almost at that time of year again when we can think of giving up something for Lent.

Yes, Shrove Tuesday - pancake day - is just over a week away - February 5th. Last year does not appear to have produced the most dramatic of commitments among DLers. Among the things given up for Lent were handshakes, Deal or No Deal, Eastenders and avocados.

I'm not sure what to give up this year. Any ideas out there? I might give up leaning.