Brinsworth House Baiter

Been To Any Good Gigs Lately?

Well they were ace! I had the best time, the support bands were a reggae-style band Backbeat Soundsystem, and Chainska Brassika (ska, funnily enough) which in my opinion weren't anything special, nothing memorable about them and their songs all sounded pretty similar. But Madness were fab, funny, played a good selection of old faves and few newer ones, and I will definitely be going to see them again. Toast, I'm sure you are in for a fun evening!

They were terrific. No support, just time to collect winnings for a wee after the last race, and Madness were on stage just after 5 pm.

Here's my pic, complete with the mandatory huge bloke standing in front ... I had room to dodge about a bit though, luckily.

Madness%20at%20Newbury_zpsgircdukn.jpg

• Like 2

Not exactly a gig but having availed myself of a download because this mob cover a Wild Man Fischer song I thought I'd share the love hereabouts.

To put it crudely, when a band call themselves My Penis is Made of Dogshit and offer up several fusilade of filth style albums via Bandcamp with a pay what you like price tag, they may just have an appeal to a few of my fellow posters.

Link: http://mypenisismadeofdogshit.bandcamp.com/

Just booked to see Reel Big Fish on the 23rd October. Can't wait.

Just in case anyones interested they were great. Played all the hits and a lot of their newer stuff from Candy Coated Fury. Crowd went mad for a few songs and utterly insane for Beer and Take on Me.

Meant to mention I saw China Crisis, booked by a mate and done mainly cos it involved eating pizza with the gig. Was amazed both how funny - in a sardonic way - they were and how good a gig. Might well do them again if and when they decide to come my way.

Meant to mention I saw China Crisis, booked by a mate and done mainly cos it involved eating pizza with the gig. Was amazed both how funny - in a sardonic way - they were and how good a gig. Might well do them again if and when they decide to come my way.

A friend of mine of mine saw them a couple of weeks ago; said pretty much the same.I'll also have to look out for them round these parts again.

A friend of mine of mine saw them a couple of weeks ago; said pretty much the same.I'll also have to look out for them round these parts again.

I used to vaguely know a bloke who used to come into the pub where I worked and I'm sure that he worked as a session musician with them and he hung himself in his kitchen.

ETA It was the drummer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Wilkinson- if I remember rightly his poor children found him.

I used to vaguely know a bloke who used to come into the pub where I worked and I'm sure that he worked as a session musician with them and he hung himself in his kitchen.

ETA It was the drummer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Wilkinson- if I remember rightly his poor children found him.

Yeah, things that amazed me about China Crisis

1 - They are funny in the sarcy and grim northern manner of The Smiths

2 - They are actually a damn good show.

3 - Their history is - to say the least - troubled, along with the suicide one of the main duo also assaulted their manager to the point that criminal charges were on the way before a mutual parting was agreed which saved a prison sentence but also did serious harm to their career (apart from anything else, it gave them trouble finding new management with any - no pun intended - clout).

Saw Jimmy Carr in Bristol tonight, he was quite funny. There was a proper shit pissed up woman heckler who he admirably dealt with, to the extent that she fucked off in the interval and didn't come back. Because I have early onset dementia I can't remember any of his jokes, but I will be saying 'hmmm cocks are delicious' and 'BUMMER ON THE LOOSE' quite a lot over the next few days. He was quite offensive at times, but we're seeing Frankie Boyle next week so I'm sure Jimmy Carr will seem like Basil Brush in comparison.

• Like 2

Saw Thee Legendary Shack Shakers last night in Minneapolis. Excellent gig, turns out myself and J.D. WIles (lead vocalist, banjoist & harmonica player) have many mutual friends. His wife Jessica whose band was opening for the Shack Shakers is bringing her band back in February and asked me to help out. Suits me fine, I get in to the gig for free, one of the best views of the stage, get my drinks for the night paid for. The wife rolled her eyes when I dragged myself home at 2 this morning with a handfull of CDs that they gave me.

Not a gig as such. Was at the Hydro tonight watching NXT wrestling and by jingo, that was a breath of fresh air to the mulch WWE are putting out at the mo on their PPV - my mates have actually cancelled our monthly get together for TLC this month as the card is pretty rough (possibly excepting Owens/Ambrose).

Great to see Samoa Joe and Neville (separate matches) live - Neville came off a rope wrong and caught his face on a turnbuckle support but seemed fine.

My first time seeing Sami Zayn and Finn Balor. I may actually subscribe if it's like that all the time.

I saw Breaking Benjamin and Shinedown live last November

I got most of the Breaking Benjamin concert on video:

I feel so sorry for the poor people behindyou.

• Like 3

or just don't bring your fucking phone to a concert is that an option too.

I went to see Public Service Broadcasting at Brixton Academy recently, and they showed that at the start of the gig.

Excellent show, can recommend seeing these guys live.

I was holding my camera on my knee the whole time.

I was holding my camera on my knee the whole time.

" Dirtracer18 Geoffrey got home and realised his videos were terrible, with blurry vision and distorted sound. He posted them on the internet anyway. No one watched them."

• Like 1

Went to see Kepi Ghoulie tonight. Good bloke, had a couple of beers with him. Can't wait till he hits Minneapolis again.

Went to see Kepi Ghoulie tonight. Good bloke, had a couple of beers with him. Can't wait till he hits Minneapolis again.

I just had to look him up, im not that hip and trendy, Im afraid. :D

I just had to look him up, im not that hip and trendy, Im afraid. :D

He was performing with another band called Manplanet. I had never heard of them but apparently they were popular 20 years ago, although most of the audience didn't look as if they would be old enough to listen to them first time round. It was hipster central at the gig.

• Like 1

Guest Pedro

Saw 'from the Jam' at Brighton last night. Very good gig, with Bruce Foxton superb.

He's back at that caper? Saw him many a time when he was in the Fingers.

Unfortunately yes. Even though it's probably what he enjoys doing, From The Jam are essentially a Jam cover band. It just seems a bit odd to appear in a cover band that he was one of the driving forces behind. He was good with SLF although I wasn't that enamoured with the 3 albums they released during the 15 years he was in SLF.

Unfortunately yes. Even though it's probably what he enjoys doing, From The Jam are essentially a Jam cover band. It just seems a bit odd to appear in a cover band that he was one of the driving forces behind. He was good with SLF although I wasn't that enamoured with the 3 albums they released during the 15 years he was in SLF.

There are lots of bands who are reduced to one original member. I guess he would still like to be in The Jam, but can't use the name.

I keep meaning to catch them as they seem to be performing at a venue somewhere near me every year. As we all know, the money's all in live gigging these days.

Does he perform any new material with FTJ?

There are lots of bands who are reduced to one original member. I guess he would still like to be in The Jam, but can't use the name.

I keep meaning to catch them as they seem to be performing at a venue somewhere near me every year. As we all know, the money's all in live gigging these days.

Does he perform any new material with FTJ?

"Back In The Room" was done with the line-up from FTJ, but released as a solo album by Bruce Foxton.

s-l500.jpg

• Like 2