Sign in to follow this  
weatherman90

The Weatherman Death Pool

I was considering raising the theme team reward to 8 points, as I had thought about it more, but I figured the change would upset some. If the consensus is to raise the reward, I will do so. Grobler & Windsor - multiple teams are not allowed I'm afraid - I think I put it somewhere in the rules - at least I think I did ;).

As for the unique theme concept of Dr. Hackenslash - I will allow it as long as you are the only team to have 10/10 unique picks - so far you are.

One last thing - I've sent replies back to every entry received by mail. If you didn't get a reply, that means that I didn't get it for some reason, and it should be re-sent.

Yeah, me too, not that I'm as confident as the good doctor.

Mebbe the dearth of DP entries is a result of the plethora of pools elsewhere, Derby, Hartlepool, Isle of Man etc.

I'm hoping I've managed the most odd "Team Theme" of the lot too.

My theme is "The picks are all unique picks" ;);)

Yeah, but there's four days to go. Good luck hangin' on to the uniqueness of them picks Dr Hack.

Trust me, I wouldn't even attempt it unless some of my picks were so stupidly obscure... ;)

Yeah, me too, not that I'm as confident as the good doctor.

Mebbe the dearth of DP entries is a result of the plethora of pools elsewhere, Derby, Hartlepool, Isle of Man etc.

I'm hoping I've managed the most odd "Team Theme" of the lot too.

My theme is "The picks are all unique picks" :lol::lol:

Wow, great minds think alike huh? I was thinking of doing that too, 'cept I realized that the near-certain deaths of Lee Hazlewood and Tammy Faye (if, God willing, she makes it to April 1) would be worth more than the Theme Team bonus.

My entry will be a game time decision. With Tony Snow and Jack Valenti lining up in just the past 24 hours, I'll need all the info that I can get before I submit.

And yes W90, you did put the "multiple entries disallowed" in the rules. I was also thinking about doing one of each kind. ;)

As for the unique theme concept of Dr. Hackenslash - I will allow it as long as you are the only team to have 10/10 unique picks - so far you are.

As and when you know the Doc's team why not just get a friend to pick one of his picks and put it in their team :lol:

As and when you know the Doc's team why not just get a friend to pick one of his picks and put it in their team :lol:

The problem would be is that nearly all of my picks are so odd, to be honest, that it would be blatant :lol:

Great idea having a DP where all the picks need is an entry on Wikipedia...

Oh well - good bye theme team.

Did I mention that I think 8 points is a bit too much of a bonus for a theme team hit?

I entered my theme team bright and early on 1st March, so I think I should get a bonus for that. Also it wouldn't matter if my theme team got an extra 20 points, I would still have bugger all chance of winning :lol:

They have got very fine names though.

Oh well - good bye theme team.

Did I mention that I think 8 points is a bit too much of a bonus for a theme team hit?

I agree and I have a theme team. I didn't get an e-mail from you weatherman, is that because I submitted my team by pm?

I'll be interested to see the Dr's unique team. One person in my game managed a team of all unique picks which surprised me.

I'm not advocating such behaviour but a high risk DP strategy that could wipe the floor would be to pick an entire sports team that'll be travelling internationally........and pray for a plane crash. It'd probably give you 10 unique picks and an unassailable lead in your DP.

It's happened before of course, something celebrated every time Liverpool play Man U and launch into a chant of; 'Always look on the runway for ice.'

As I'm not entering, one possibility I had originally envisaged, perhaps for CP's DP, was actors & actresses from the film Dead Pool, which was on tonight whilst England stumbled against the mighty Andorra.

However, it wouldn't be a team that would likely give you a huge amount of points, me thinks, but it would be a nice twist I suppose AND allow you to put the insufferable Jim Carrey on a DP, as if any more reason were needed.

Another interesting twist would be to have a team of people who've already 'died', at least as far as being given the last rites, made miracle recoveries etc - like Niki Lauda. Not that he's on my WDP list this year.

Concerning the theme teams, I have decided to leave the bonus as is - since I thought about it more, and Windsor agrees, that 8 is a bit too much. (I just can't make up my mind, can I?).

DDT - On behalf of your early submission, you will be awarded the "Early Submitter" awards (what a clever name), and you will be the winner in any sort of tie that you find yourself into even if the team you are tied with has a lower APA. This applies to any tie - not just 1st. I will give out several of these awards as I did last year.

Handrejka - Sorry for the confusion, I did get your submission - I'm pretty sure that all the PM submissions went through without a glitch. The concern was that some of the emails might have gotten trapped in a spam filter or the like.

I will be continuing the pool beginning as soon as the current one ends. I will open it up for registration somewhere around late February. I'm hoping I can get all our current players back again :crossbone: , plus 15 more or so. So I'm aiming for about 35 teams this year - I think it can be done.

How are you doing against target?

Guest Guest

I will be continuing the pool beginning as soon as the current one ends. I will open it up for registration somewhere around late February. I'm hoping I can get all our current players back again :crossbone: , plus 15 more or so. So I'm aiming for about 35 teams this year - I think it can be done.

I bet you're a manager :crossbone:

is that a bit like saying "I bet you're an a**hole"

I'm sure that Real Madron will be rushing over from a funny old thread to agree :crossbone:

I've received 20 teams so far - we need 15 more teams to hit 35 - it might still be possible. Keep registering :crossbone:

is that a bit like saying "I bet you're an a**hole"

I'm sure that Real Madron will be rushing over from a funny old thread to agree :crossbone:

I'll cheerfully bet that too :crossbone:

The deadline, as advertised is midnight / prior to 00:01 UTC on April 1st.

No mention of daylight saving time and various time zones so here is a link to the UTC time.

That gives me an extra hour (by the clock on the wall opposite) to get my ducks in a row!

If you're around, W90, could you please confirm that I have got this right?

You are correct, Captain Oates. I now have 23 entries and the clock is ticking. I will of course take some late entries for the forgetful (since I am one of them).

You are correct, Captain Oates. I now have 23 entries and the clock is ticking. I will of course take some late entries for the forgetful (since I am one of them).

I sent you mine, along with a substitute for when Tammy Faye inevitably carks it later today. :crossbone:

No mention of daylight saving time and various time zones so here is a link to the UTC time.

That gives me an extra hour (by the clock on the wall opposite) to get my ducks in a row!

I haven't received yours yet, CO, you must truly be waiting for the last minute :crossbone:

Now 3 minutes until the changeover - got to get ready to congratulate CP. Don't worry though, I will still accept late entries if you say 'please'. :crossbone:

Guest Guest

I haven't received yours yet, CO, you must truly be waiting for the last minute :lol:

Now 3 minutes until the changeover - got to get ready to congratulate CP. Don't worry though, I will still accept late entries if you say 'please'. :P

You have received mine and I've had the acknowledgement. I used a different ID ( same as last year) but as you only wanted one entry per person, 'CO' could not enter in person :(

I hope you weren't biting your nails! I've been watching the last 4 episodes of Southpark and was oblivious to the time.

I haven't received yours yet, CO, you must truly be waiting for the last minute :lol:

Now 3 minutes until the changeover - got to get ready to congratulate CP. Don't worry though, I will still accept late entries if you say 'please'. :P

You have received mine and I've had the acknowledgement. I used a different ID (same as last year) but as you only wanted one entry per person, 'CO' could not enter in person. :(

I hope you weren't biting your nails! I've been watching the latest 4 episodes of Southpark and was oblivious to the time.

Ok, well in that case, 25 teams seems to be the final number. Welcome aboard to WDP 2007-2008! May it be a very deadly year for all of us.

Also, a congratulations to our WDP 2006-2007 winner, Canadian Paul! :lol::(:P:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

CP finished out with a whopping 38 points, achieving a 50% success rate with 5/10 hits.

Second place goes to Slave to the Grave, who also managed 5 hits, but a slightly lower 37 points. The third place winner is none other than RMHED, who managed 5 hits as well, and racked up 32 points.

Thanks to all teams, and here's to an even better 2007-2008 pool. Stay tuned for the unveiling of the new list of teams in a few hours, and good luck to all competitors in the new pool now upon us.