Sign in to follow this  
DevonDeathTrip

A Tale Of Two Guineas

The Sunday Times reported yesterday that the president of Equitorial Guinea, Teodoro Obiang Nguema, is fighting prostate cancer and heart trouble. He is reported to want to leave office “to fight against death”. His weight is said to have shrunk to about seven stone. <_<

I mentioned him last year and got some stick for it, but he'll definately get a UK obit. One wonders what will happen to Nick Du Toit if the president carks it. For my sake, they'd better not let him out.

• Like 1

The Sunday Times reported yesterday that the president of Equitorial Guinea, Teodoro Obiang Nguema, is fighting prostate cancer and heart trouble. He is reported to want to leave office “to fight against death”. His weight is said to have shrunk to about seven stone. :D

I mentioned him last year and got some stick for it, but he'll definately get a UK obit. One wonders what will happen to Nick Du Toit if the president carks it. For my sake, they'd better not let him out.

As a follow up to this, that article is now subject to a legal complaint. Whether that might be down to the health, I don't know, but I haven't seen any other articles about his ill-health since that one. He's also just flown to Zimbabwe & Angola on recent visits - but no pictures - so it's hard to tell if he is down to 7 stone.

I'm not saying that Obiang might not be near death, but just to be cautious, in case this story is a pack of lies.

The Sunday Times reported yesterday that the president of Equitorial Guinea, Teodoro Obiang Nguema, is fighting prostate cancer and heart trouble. He is reported to want to leave office “to fight against death”. His weight is said to have shrunk to about seven stone. :D

As a follow up to this, that article is now subject to a legal complaint. Whether that might be down to the health, I don't know, but I haven't seen any other articles about his ill-health since that one. He's also just flown to Zimbabwe & Angola on recent visits - but no pictures - so it's hard to tell if he is down to 7 stone.

I'm not saying that Obiang might not be near death, but just to be cautious, in case this story is a pack of lies.

As he's on my cpdp team I hope that damn article was correct.

Maybe he's only complaining because he doesn't want the truth about his health to get out.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws. :D

As he's on my cpdp team I hope that damn article was correct.

Maybe he's only complaining because he doesn't want the truth about his health to get out.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws. :D

I'm not sure HOW ill he is, but he does have terminal prostate cancer, according to older articles: older article.

He's on my team and I was planning on having him as a DDP joker... whether that becomes the case remains to be seen I suppose...

Obiang:

FWIW, I also have Obiang on my CPDP, which is why I brought it up especially. It's one to keep an eye on. I guess until/if we know what the complaint is about, then it's difficult to clarify. Unless Obinag snuffs it, in which case it WILL all be clear ;)

As previously mentioned, the President of Equatorial Guinea, Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, is not a well man.

Just to confuse matters a bit, I am pleased to announce that the President of Guinea (that's Guinea, not Equatorial Guinea which is further down the west African coast) Lansana Conte, is rumoured in this article, to be "gravely ill".

Now this guy seems to be mentioned in every DP thread going, maybe his posts could be merged here?

Or, maybe this could be an African dictator thread? God knows there's enough of them........

Anyway, new news suggests Conte is in very poor health indeed.

and it also looks like he can't even sign his own letters....

I say out with Algeria's leader & in with Guinea's for the DL.

Apologies to DDT who is the undisputed master of news re. ill African dictators.

From what i'm reading, his health condition seems very sketchy, he must not be in touch with the media. But Lansana Conte is said to suffer from leukemia, and three years ago back in the elections they claim he looked frail. He could be invited next year.

I think this Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo should be included in this thread as well and the topic description should be "A Tale Of Two Guineas"

Don't know about this "a tale of two Guineas". I'm under the impression that Guinea-Bissau is a real country too. So can't it be three Guineas in the fountain?

Don't know about this "a tale of two Guineas". I'm under the impression that Guinea-Bissau is a real country too. So can't it be three Guineas in the fountain?

Not sure I'm with you here RA. Obiang is the President of Equatorial Guinea and Conte is the President of Guinea-Bissau, more commonly referred to as just Guinea, hence the "two Guineas" tag.

Maybe we should add Bulent Ecevit on this this thead as well and call it "Two Guinea Fools and a Turkey"

:)

Not sure I'm with you here RA. Obiang is the President of Equatorial Guinea and Conte is the President of Guinea-Bissau, more commonly referred to as just Guinea, hence the "two Guineas" tag.

DDT, I suggest you brush up on your geography.

Guinea, Guinea-Bissau and Equatorial Guinea are three separate countries.

Guinea-Bissau is most certainly NOT referred to as "just" Guinea.

Conte is the leader of Guinea, Joao Bernando Vieria, who looks well, is the leader of Guinea-Bissau.

Well I'll be damned. You learn a new thing everyday on this site.

You know, I'm still to be convinced that Obiang is as ill as is rumoured.

He's recently flown to the US & Morocco & looks to be more than seven stone & robust in these pictures:

Obiang visits Morocco

and does not look significantly worse for wear, than say a few years ago.

If he wanted to stand down, surely he would've done it by now, and if his son is as power-crazy as previously alluded, surely ol' Teodoro wouldn't leave the country?

I'm not saying he's not ill, per se, but whether he is as ill as to be considered as top 20 DDP or top 50 DL candidiate material or just "one to keep an eye on" bracket?

You know, I'm still to be convinced that Obiang is as ill as is rumoured.

He's recently flown to the US & Morocco & looks to be more than seven stone & robust in these pictures:

Obiang visits Morocco

and does not look significantly worse for wear, than say a few years ago.

If he wanted to stand down, surely he would've done it by now, and if his son is as power-crazy as previously alluded, surely ol' Teodoro wouldn't leave the country?

I'm not saying he's not ill, per se, but whether he is as ill as to be considered as top 20 DDP or top 50 DL candidiate material or just "one to keep an eye on" bracket?

Yes, I've become a bit suspicious myself as of late. I think Conte is the one to be watching as far as African leaders go - hardly a day passes by in the news without some mention of his critical health and what will happen in the country once he dies.

My French is a bit rusty, but I believe the gist of this article is that Conte plans on staying in office until 2010.

Significantly, from the other interview with Conte on the 31st October 2006, the two journos who interviewed him, Michel Serges & Mouctar Bah had a three hour discussion with him.

From our point of view the following is significant:-

The journalists would have also noticed that the health of president Lansana Conté was not as worrying as it is told."

However, "When the president was interviewed, explains Mouctar Bah, a storm blew and thus sound quality is very bad!" which makes it sound a bit shambolic - also Conte was interviewed in his home village & not the presidential palace.

With the more recent interview, as posted by CP above, you're right, but LC himself says "if God wants it" Here's hoping God doesn't.

Again health news in this article:-

The Guinean President has disease, leukaemia and diabetes & has been ill for a long time". According to AFP, Conté questioned: "At least, I have the chance to be sick only from one physical point of view and I have courage to say to everyone I am sick." The interview took place at the village of Waawa, where Lansana Conté passes most clearly from its time

Make of that what you will........

Two things:- Conte has moved back to capital Conkary after spending time at his home village and indeed intervened in a few things, so he's not on death's door immediately, but in the picture of the below article, he certainly doesn't look perky - he looks very thin, for a start. (He's in the middle)

http://www.liberianobserver.com/news/fulls...OOPERATION.html

Strikes in Guinea, partly over Conte's ailing health.

The strike continues. There have been scenes of subversion and turpitude in Conakry over the last couple of days. The police have become rather overexcitable in their crowd control measures and twenty people have been killed during rioting.

As ever, Conte's health is mentioned, this time he is described as the "Chain-smoking, diabetic, and gravely ill president.."

President Conte has declared a "state of siege" and told the army to restore public order. It must be so annoying trying to run the country when you're ill.

Given that the Guinean streets are teeming with screaming mobs, it seems possible that Conte might meet a violent end sooner than the diabetes/heart problems/chain smoking/leukemia/HIV/possibly knocks him off his perch.

Article about Nguema, chronicling past, present and future. Most significantly:

The president is believed to be suffering from prostate cancer, which is said to be getting worse. But few think his family will wait for nature to take its course, and the only question appears to be who will take over, with Obiang's two sons seen as the likely contenders.

Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt, but interesting nonetheless.

• Like 1