maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Alvin Stardust just bit the big one at the age of 72

Link

This came as a big surprise. If you had to choose which of Liza Goddard's ex-husbands would die first I imagine most Deathlisters would have gone for the Fat Timelordy one.

Yeah, and I'm not suggesting owt other than co-incidence but a full-on cynic might be interested in the fact he has an album out next Monday.

Surely you're not suggesting that he timed his death to help promote his new album?

I'm confused to learn that he didn't actually record "My Coo Ca Choo".

"My Coo Ca Choo" is the first successful release for Alvin Stardust, reaching number two in the UK Singles Chart in December 1973 ....

The song was written, sung, and recorded by Peter Shelley using the glam rock name Alvin Stardust, although Shelley had already appeared as the original Alvin Stardust on the Lift Off television programme, Shelley was surprised when the record went straight into the chart the following week.

However, as he had no desire to become his own stage name creation, he and Levy both agreed that if this act was to become more than just a one-hit wonder, then a "face" was required to be—and perform as—Alvin Stardust. The ideal person appeared, Shane Fenton. The new 'Stardust' then appeared on BBC Television's Top of the Pops just as the record had entered the Top 30, before finally reaching #2.

That's not Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks, btw! Incidentally I saw them live last weekend, it was a blast.

Yeah, and I'm not suggesting owt other than co-incidence but a full-on cynic might be interested in the fact he has an album out next Monday.

Surely you're not suggesting that he timed his death to help promote his new album?

It is a solid marketing strategy.

regards,

Hein

I'm confused to learn that he didn't actually record "My Coo Ca Choo".

"My Coo Ca Choo" is the first successful release for Alvin Stardust, reaching number two in the UK Singles Chart in December 1973 ....

The song was written, sung, and recorded by Peter Shelley using the glam rock name Alvin Stardust, although Shelley had already appeared as the original Alvin Stardust on the Lift Off television programme, Shelley was surprised when the record went straight into the chart the following week.

However, as he had no desire to become his own stage name creation, he and Levy both agreed that if this act was to become more than just a one-hit wonder, then a "face" was required to be—and perform as—Alvin Stardust. The ideal person appeared, Shane Fenton. The new 'Stardust' then appeared on BBC Television's Top of the Pops just as the record had entered the Top 30, before finally reaching #2.

That's not Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks, btw! Incidentally I saw them live last weekend, it was a blast.

So in a way, he's never really had his own identity. He was Shane Fenton mark II, and Alvin Stardust mark II

• Like 1

regards,

Hein

I wasn't suggesting it for a minute, though there's a grim humour in the music industry where death has been known as "the ultimate career move" for years.

regards,

Hein

I wasn't suggesting it for a minute, though there's a grim humour in the music industry where death has been known as "the ultimate career move" for years.

HMV will be stacking his greatest hits album on display cases as we speak...

regards,

Hein

There's always the possibility that the record company pushed forward the release of the album in the hope that he'll still be alive when it was eventually released.

I always used to get Alvin a Stardust mixed up with Gary Glitter 😂

You must've been out of your tiny mind

• Like 1

Not sure I would call him a "pop star", but Jack Bruce has died at the age of 71

220px-Nash_the_Slash.jpg

Is it possible Nash the Slash faked his death in May? I think I just saw him on the news caring for Ebola patients in Africa.

• Like 1

Jack Bruce of supergroup Cream has died aged 71...

Not sure I would call him a "pop star", but Jack Bruce has died at the age of 71

Burial or creamation?
  • Like 4

http://www.hollywood...ad-at-48-745613

Wayne Static, frontman of nu-metal band Static X dies aged 48, possibly drug overdose....... wow. Reports say he was losing his mind, blurring and fading.

I forgot to post this the other day. Gary Lane, bassist for The Standells lost his battle against lung cancer on November 5th.

Edited to say:

Can't get my browser to co-operate when posting photos or to bring up the full editor option. Gary Lane is on the far right in the photo.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/The_Standells.png

A benefit concert has been held for Wizzard saxophonist Mike Burney, who is suffering from cancer for the second time.

Let the bells ring out for tolling: Mike Burney dead.

And so the cull of the 2015 shortlist continues.

• Like 3

A benefit concert has been held for Wizzard saxophonist Mike Burney, who is suffering from cancer for the second time.

Let the bells toll out for Burney: he's dead.

I'm not saying he is not dead, but that is the only place I have seen any confirmation of this so far