Tuber Mirum

British Science Fiction Series

The first victim of the Mummy in Saturday's Doctor Who episode was an old lady played by Janet Henfrey (b.1935) but when I checked out where I recognised her from it was from the 1989 DW episode The Curse of Fenric where she played - an old lady so she should join the ranks of Peter Sallis, Warren Mitchell and Stephanie Cole in being nominated for the Clive Dunn eternal pensioner award.

• Like 3

The first victim of the Mummy in Saturday's Doctor Who episode was an old lady played by Janet Henfrey (b.1935) but when I checked out where I recognised her from it was from the 1989 DW episode The Curse of Fenric where she played - an old lady so she should join the ranks of Peter Sallis, Warren Mitchell and Stephanie Cole in being nominated for the Clive Dunn eternal pensioner award.

She played an old-looking teacher in Dennis Potter's 'Stand up, Nigel Barton' from 1965. Mind you, it's in a scene where the kids are played by adults!

• Like 1

Genuine question.

Should this forum be split into Doctor Who and another one for everything else Blake's 7, Starcops, Sapphire & Steel etc?

Guest Guest

Genuine question.

Should this forum be split into Doctor Who and another one for everything else Blake's 7, Starcops, Sapphire & Steel etc?

Yes

Genuine question.

Ah, you'll love this. This topic started as a Doctor Who topic and there was an 'other UK scifi' one. They got merged.

regards,

Hein

Genuine question.

No.

In fact I would be happy to see the Star Trek stuff in here too. (not a fan)

Genuine question.

Ah, you'll love this. This topic started as a Doctor Who topic and there was an 'other UK scifi' one. They got merged.

regards,

Hein

I think that is a reasonable answer.

Doctor Who director Michael Hayes has died. Directed The City of Death which is considered to be one of the best episodes ever.

Sad. I have to admit I have never watched that one but everyone speaks very highly of it. As a kid, I had the Dr Who Technical Manual and I was absolutely fascinated by the design of the villain's spaceship in this one. It looks great! :)

BTW, on a related note, I spent yesterday afternoon looking through all the the Star Wars7 concept art that just leaked. The director, JJ Abrams, is notorious for valuing his secrecy so he might yet die of a heart attack in the aftermath of the leak.

Guest Guest

Doctor Who director Michael Hayes has died. Directed The City of Death which is considered to be one of the best episodes ever.

he directed 2 other 4th Doctor stories,Ambassadors of Death and The Androids of Tara

Guest Guest

That should say Armageddon Factor and The Androids of Tara,sorry.

Sad. I have to admit I have never watched that one but everyone speaks very highly of it. As a kid, I had the Dr Who Technical Manual and I was absolutely fascinated by the design of the villain's spaceship in this one. It looks great! :)

It is one worth seeking out Douglas Adams' script is very witty and the whole cast are on top form. They use location filming in Paris gratuitously. The good news for DW book fans is that Gareth Roberts adaptation is released next year following his excellent take on Shada.

As I can only enter 3 DDP teams I have discarded this one in case anyone is interested

Blake's Heaven

1. Gareth Thomas (b.1945)
  2. Paul Darrow (b.1941)
  3. Michael Keating (b.1947)
  4. Jacqueline Pearce (b.1943)
  5. Stephen Greif (b.1944)
  6. Brian Croucher (b.1942)
  7. Chris Boucher (b.1943)
  8. Sally Knyvette (b.1951)
  9. Josette Simon (b.1960)
  10. Glynis Barber (b. 1955)
  11. Steven Pacey (b.1957)
  12. Jan Chappell (b,1949)
  13. Pamela Salem (b.1950)
  14. Dudley Simpson (b.1922)
  15. Vernon Dobtcheff (b.1934)
  16. David Collings (b.1940)
  17. Brian Blessed (b. 1936)
  18. Glyn Housten (b. 1926)
  19. John Savident (b.1938)
  20. Trevor Hoyle (b.1940)

As I can only enter 3 DDP teams I have discarded this one in case anyone is interested Blake's Heaven
  2. Paul Darrow (b.1941)

Dudley Simpson and Brian Blessed seem the most likely out of those.

As I can only enter 3 DDP teams I have discarded this one in case anyone is interested Blake's Heaven
  2. Paul Darrow (b.1941)

Dudley Simpson and Brian Blessed seem the most likely out of those.

Dudley Simpson has been a feature on my DDP for a while, so of course he's not dying any time soon :lol:

Brian Blessed just seems too fit and active to go within the next 14 months (barring another Everest attempt, obviously); Glyn Houston, on the other hand, is ten years older and almost completely off the radar.

As I can only enter 3 DDP teams I have discarded this one in case anyone is interested

Blake's Heaven

2. Paul Darrow (b.1941)

My favourite was Glyn Owen, the guy who played the captain of the prison ship in the 2nd episode (I liked the first few eps of Blakes 7 but never got very far beyond them). Just seemed like an very natural and convincing actor for some reason. In that kind of role, anyway. Yeah I know he's already dead. The guy who played that scumbag Rayker (or Raker) wasn't bad either. Oh and Gareth Thomas looks kinda shit these days.

Blake's Heaven

2. Paul Darrow (b.1941)

My favourite was Glyn Owen, the guy who played the captain of the prison ship in the 2nd episode (I liked the first few eps of Blakes 7 but never got very far beyond them). Just seemed like an very natural and convincing actor for some reason. In that kind of role, anyway. Yeah I know he's already dead. The guy who played that scumbag Rayker (or Raker) wasn't bad either. Oh and Gareth Thomas looks kinda shit these days.

I'd be inclined to keep an eye out for John Savident looked terrible in the eighties and then had that unfortunate incident where he was attacked in his home a few years back.

Blake's 7 is an odd one if you want to you can laugh at the really bad special effects or you can take an opinion like the BFI that it portrays a gritty dystopian future away from the shining optimism of ST:TOS.

The first series was entirely written by Terry Nation (or at least that is what it says on the credits) and is pretty basic SF. Highlights include the only episode Douglas Camfield directed - Duel and the last two episodes Deliverance and Orac.

Series 2 becomes more quest type with the search for Star One but is let down by the swapping of Stephen Greif for Brian Croucher as Travis.

Series 3 is probably the best with a superb sequence of episodes which allow the characters to come to the fore Rumours of Death and Sarcophogus are standouts.

Series 4 has a more glossy feel and looks more like Star Wars including the design of Scorpio. It misses Jan Chappel and Glynis Barber's character is pointless but episodes like Orbit, Sand and Blake make you feel like you are watching high quality SF

Blake's 7 is an odd one if you want to you can laugh at the really bad special effects or you can take an opinion like the BFI that it portrays a gritty dystopian future away from the shining optimism of ST:TOS.

The first series was entirely written by Terry Nation (or at least that is what it says on the credits) and is pretty basic SF. Highlights include the only episode Douglas Camfield directed - Duel and the last two episodes Deliverance and Orac.

Series 2 becomes more quest type with the search for Star One but is let down by the swapping of Stephen Greif for Brian Croucher as Travis.

Series 3 is probably the best with a superb sequence of episodes which allow the characters to come to the fore Rumours of Death and Sarcophogus are standouts.

Series 4 has a more glossy feel and looks more like Star Wars including the design of Scorpio. It misses Jan Chappel and Glynis Barber's character is pointless but episodes like Orbit, Sand and Blake make you feel like you are watching high quality SF

I am a huge B7 fan and that is quite a balanced summary. Well done, good sir.
  • Like 1

I wish Steven Moffatt would hurry up and die after that last season. That was absolutely atrocious. I know he had his critics in his first few seasons but I liked some of his early work but that season just gone has completely alienated me from the show. It felt like he was undermining everything good about Dr Who and committing mass character assassination. Unwatchable dreck. :rant:

Why is it Aussies are always so harsh about Dr Who? They never seem to have a good word for it! Same with American fans. I've always thought they were more picky than UK fans, perhaps we're biased seeing as we make the show. I thought the last series was more consistent than series 7 but it certainly wasn't crap.

• Like 1

Why is it Aussies are always so harsh about Dr Who? They never seem to have a good word for it! Same with American fans. I've always thought they were more picky than UK fans, perhaps we're biased seeing as we make the show. I thought the last series was more consistent than series 7 but it certainly wasn't crap.

We are harsh because we can see its potential to be good and disappointed when it falls short. Sorry, i thought the last season was by far the worst of New Who. Not Capaldi's fault but Moffatt's.

I thought the best season of New Who was Tennant's last one with Catherine Tate as the companion. That was a peak.

I wish Steven Moffatt would hurry up and die after that last season. That was absolutely atrocious. I know he had his critics in his first few seasons but I liked some of his early work but that season just gone has completely alienated me from the show. It felt like he was undermining everything good about Dr Who and committing mass character assassination. Unwatchable dreck. :rant:

The last series was the first for a few years that I've watched every episode; there were a couple of duff episodes but overall I didn't think it too bad - certainly better than some of the crap Russell T Davies served up. I think part of the problem is trying to get a complete story into 45-50 minutes.
  • Like 1

The last series was the first for a few years that I've watched every episode; there were a couple of duff episodes but overall I didn't think it too bad - certainly better than some of the crap Russell T Davies served up. I think part of the problem is trying to get a complete story into 45-50 minutes.

I hated everything to do with Danny Pink and Clara. I thought all the issues of the Doctor's pacifism were resolved by the last episode of the old series (Survival) and by the Doctor's Daughter episode of the new series so Moffatt goes undoes all of that... Also, the writing in general wasn't good, Clara had a complete change of personality (you'd think she was the one who regenerated) and the storylines too often verged from whimsical fantasy into absolute dreck. I liked the Mummy episode, Into the Dalek and Flatline and that was about it.

Definite realignment of the series to be sure but then Dr Who has always done that. I didn't get all that antimilitary nonsense from the Doctor either. I was watching the Horror channel the other day and it had 'The Robots of Death' from 1977. Now there was a Dr Who story, the absolute business!

• Like 1