Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2014

I wish Banshees Scream was my dad.

(*gets carted off to loonie bin*)

You mean he isn't?

Feck, I'm out a few quid in lost bets at the next DL Con, then.

It's A Daily Mail but not THE Daily Mail!

So, we probably need to come to an agreement here... what's the deal with ISIS hostages who are "next to be executed"? Do they fall under the death row ruling because ISIS defines itself as a state, or would they count as assassinations and thus be playable as DDP15 picks?

Here is my 2p worth

Coins_14a.jpg

If the hostage HAD NOT been kidnapped, and got hit by an ordinary Clapham omnibus (and not one being driven by George Michael or Prince Harry) would the average person who was on the said bus think that the deid guy would have gotten a qualifying obit?

If so, they should count.

if not, they should not.

Hereth endeth my two penneth worth guvnor

Hereth endeth my two penneth worth guvnor

Igor?

regards,

Hein

So, we probably need to come to an agreement here... what's the deal with ISIS hostages who are "next to be executed"? Do they fall under the death row ruling because ISIS defines itself as a state, or would they count as assassinations and thus be playable as DDP15 picks?

Er, I'm fairly sure TMIB's gonna take the Richard Osman

[i couldn't find a GIF of Bart and Lisa's classic shuddering at the mention of Garry Shandling from the Simpsons episode "Jaws Wired Shut" so you'll have to accept this as a placeholder]

route and say because ISIS isn't officially recognised as a state or country by the UN, it'll count as a murder and not a state-sanctioned execution.

ISIS is a would-be state, not an official state and thus will not be considered as state-sponsered executioners. However, the thing that lurks at the back of my head bothering me, Mr Ploppy-like is of when these poor men actually die. I have a feeling that those kidnapped and subsequently in the possession of ISIS are to all intents and purposes already dead and their pleas for mercy and inevitable beheadings have already been filmed and are staggered out for the purposes of propaganda...

ISIS is a would-be state, not an official state and thus will not be considered as state-sponsered executioners. However, the thing that lurks at the back of my head bothering me, Mr Ploppy-like is of when these poor men actually die. I have a feeling that those kidnapped and subsequently in the possession of ISIS are to all intents and purposes already dead and their pleas for mercy and inevitable beheadings have already been filmed and are staggered out for the purposes of propaganda...

For obvious reasons the names of hostages are not bandied about in the media until IS draw attention to them in the trailers at the end of thier videos this normally only allows a period of about a month or so where the name is known and thereby would be possible eligible as a pick. So unless someone has inside track in IS or the Intelligence community then this should not have a massive impact on the final results.

They would probably accelerate the Deathrace results though.

For obvious reasons the names of hostages are not bandied about in the media until IS draw attention to them in the trailers at the end of thier videos this normally only allows a period of about a month or so where the name is known and thereby would be possible eligible as a pick. So unless someone has inside track in IS or the Intelligence community then this should not have a massive impact on the final results.

They would probably accelerate the Deathrace results though.

If anyone's working as a middle east correspondent for a media outlet there an at risk surely? Although picking the twenty most likely to go to Syria/Israel would be difficult if not impossible. We haven't got any travel/logistics planners for major media organisations on here have we?

Guest curious george

why did 88 yr old Siegfried Lenz get 12 points?

why did 88 yr old Siegfried Lenz get 12 points?

Because he was a unique hit for Zsa-Zsa-ah-ah-ah! Zsa-Zsa-Ooh-la-la!.

Should be 9 points actually ( and is in the table). Typo from me. Will change for next update...

No. I'm a tad surprised she hasn't had an obit from at least one of the mainstream press. She and her husband for better or worse are kind of considered the writers most associated with that troubled era of Doctor Who and the only ones (bar Anthony Steven) who wrote a debut serial for a new Doctor who wasn't the script editor(s) either then, before or afterwards...

I have just drafted brief biogs for my 2015 DDP picks who were not picked this year. Expect eight deaths to blow my work out of the water.

• Like 1

Does this count as a suitable UK obit for Jerry Vale?

Vale died on the 18th of May aged 83 and points had not been awarded for the two teams who picked him.

Yes it does count. Didn't even know he died! Surprised it hasn't been flagged up before...

Three leadership changes at the top of the DDP in three consecutive updates, must be a first at this late a point in the game surely? It's gonna be a proper slobberknocker finish, no matter who wins.

I've had such a crap year, that I rarely check my list and almost forgot that I had Gough Whitlam. It won't move me up very far, but 5 points is 5 points.

Latest pages are up. Time to start thinking of 2015, boys and girls it's all over for this year!

Latest pages are up. Time to start thinking of 2015, boys and girls it's all over for this year!

I have decided to be helpful and write bios for all my 2015 picks that were not 2014 picks.

It only amounts to 8 across three teams and that is assuming they all make the starting line.

• Like 1