The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

South African bowler Norman Gordon, formerly the world's oldest cricketer and last survivor of the 'timeless test', is out after reaching 103.

• Like 1

South African bowler Norman Gordon, formerly the world's oldest cricketer and last survivor of the 'timeless test', is out after reaching 103.

And he was the last living man to have played test cricket before World War II.

So he survived a series of gruelling, awful and brutally tedious battles that would leave you too scarred to even tell anybody about.......... and World War II.

I hadn't realised that he was Jewish and had to endure anti-semitic heckling whilst playing,

Still a good innings at 103

I have no great love of cricket, anything that in it's proper form takes 5 days and often still results in a draw stretches the boundaries of what should probably be considered a sport (pun entirely intentional), and the shorter forms are bastardisations of varying degrees in my view.

However listening to Ritchie on a long summers afternoon could hold my attention in a way few other commentators have ever done, he was charming and non-partisan in a way only a few others seem to manage today (Peter Aliss might be one, and I care for golf even less than cricket) and this from somebody whose loyalties one has to suppose lay with the opposition (since I'm English). I can still call up the lilt of his voice in my head at will and suspect I'm hardly alone in this.

It's people like Ritchie that keep me (mostly lurking) on this site. In many ways this place is a better celebration of folks lives than some schmaltzy obit. I already miss him as a commentator, and the world will be the poorer without him.

In other news: "Ha! I found that bottle opener, so that's where it was...."

• Like 2

And the highly obitable Everton Weekes continues to breathe, three and a half months until his scores a century of birthdays, will he make the first XI of the Deathlist?

• Like 1

And the highly obitable Everton Weekes continues to breathe, three and a half months until his scores a century of birthdays, will he make the first XI of the Deathlist?

Might need to look at the maths on this 1925 not 1915.

He is on the bench for one of my DDP teams.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...tralia-29982914

Richie Benaud skin cancer......

Saw a clip of him in his present state on Sky Sports News. Doesn't look too good...

I saw that Clip too, was surprised by how ill he looked, don't think he has long left in this world, certainly won't live to 104 years of age like his Mother.

Might need to look at the maths on this 1925 not 1915.

He is on the bench for one of my DDP teams.

Ah shit, I'm repeating a mistake I saw somewhere hereabouts, thanks for the correction. We've sacked the scorers! He's still old and obitable so two out of three, eh?

• Like 1

Guest WG Pedant

Former Aussie skipper Ian Craig is back in the pavilion.

http://www.espncrici...ory/799905.html

In different eras, he played against both Len Hutton and Jeff Thomson.

Considering he retired 10 years before Thomson's first-class debut I doubt it, unless it was knockabout cricket.

Of all the old folks still getting out and about to be in the BBC Sports Personality Awards audience, last night I could not pass by without noteing that Dickie Bird looked quite frail, but in good spirits. He had that open mouth gaupe that Ronnie Biggs displayed for so long. Guess he will be in a care home this time next year.

Geoff Pullar, former England batsman dies aged 79.

Aussie cricketer Val Holten died Jan 15, 2015 at age 87.

"Charles Valentine "Val" Holten (15 September 1927 — 15 January 2015) was an Australian cricketer who played five first class cricket matches for Victoria between 1950–51 and 1952–53. Born in Brighton, a suburb of Melbourne, Holten was a right hand batsman and right arm medium pace bowler."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_Holten

Can someone change this brer's username to "AspregeredInCarolina", thanks.

• Like 2

Bob Appleyard bowler for Yorkshire and England

Vale Bob Appleyard. If anyone has the time they should read his story. Endured more tragedy than any person should ever have to and stayed a gentleman to the last.

On the bright side he was a unique pick for me on DDP.

• Like 2

Vale Bob Appleyard. If anyone has the time they should read his story. Endured more tragedy than any person should ever have to and stayed a gentleman to the last.

On the bright side he was a unique pick for me on DDP.

He certainly had the measure of Robert Maxwell.

Only right that Richie Benaud feature here.

Liked this from Gary Naylor

Guest Guest

Only right that Richie Benaud feature here.

Liked this from Gary Naylor

where else would he feature? :salute: