maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

http://www.rollingst...-at-70-20140627

Soul singer Bobby Womack died today, aged 70.

That's a shame, although 70 isn't a bad innings, considering his life style.

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein
Two posts moved from topic "The Dead Of 2014"

Womack's weirdest album - by some margin - is the last thing he did for United Artists: B W goes C& W. A country and western set that isn't half bad but sounds odd because he's so obviously Bobby Womack. He was getting more eccentric than his record company could handle but they did put the brakes on his inention of calling the record: Step Aside Charley Pride and Give Some Other N-word a Try.

RIP Bobby. I believe that's 7 points for me though.

well done, I had him penciled in for my list for next year

Thanks, Phantom. Four hits down, only 16 to go!

You still use pencils? :referee:

Still have a stack of pencils, especially by my desk at work. Nothing more annoying when I need to quickly jot down a phone number only to find the pen isn't working.

Still have a stack of pencils, especially by my desk at work. Nothing more annoying when I need to quickly jot down a phone number only to find the pen isn't working.

There are places where you are only allowed to use pencils. Some of them won't even let you use the kind with a rubber on the end. :evil2:

There are places where you are only allowed to use pencils. Some of them won't even let you use the kind with

a rubber on the end. :evil2:

Such as the Philosophy department?

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

There are places where you are only allowed to use pencils. Some of them won't even let you use the kind with

a rubber on the end. :evil2:

Such as the Philosophy department?

regards,

Hein

I was expecting dirtier jokes than that :P

A benefit concert has been held for Wizzard saxophonist Mike Burney, who is suffering from cancer for the second time.

Burney won't be attending the Birmingham Blues Festival this year, and this benefit being held for him says he still hasn't picked up an instrument since his diagnosis. Little else in the way of updates about him out there but I still fancy him as a 2014 passer.

Dunno if it was mentioned but Outfield guitarist John Spinks died early july. He died from liver cancer.

Drake Levin, lead guitarist of the improbably-attired Paul Revere & the Raiders, has died of cancer at 62.

Now Paul Revere, the eponymous hero and organist of the group, is in a bad way. Former Raider Mark Lindsay has posted this on Facebook:

It now seems, unfortunately, that my old partner Paul Revere – with whom I used to share outrageous wild dreams of being a successful rock & roll band – is now fighting a tremendous heath [sic] battle. Please keep Paul and his wife Syd in your thoughts and prayers, as it's a most difficult time for both of them and the whole Raider family. ~ Mark

, anyone? It went all the way to number 1 in the US in 1970.

Paul will not be accompanying the Raiders on any of their tour dates this year.

Linda Ronstadt has Parkinson's, and was officially diagnosed eight months ago but has likely had it for seven or eight years.
Received National Medal of the Arts from Barack Obama Does this mean they think she might be on the way out or did Obama just want to give it to her before he has to go?

Even though she was in a wheelchair for most of it, she still looked like she was in reasonably good health (all things considered). I think she has a couple more years left.

Linda Ronstadt has Parkinson's, and was officially diagnosed eight months ago but has likely had it for seven or eight years.
Received National Medal of the Arts from Barack Obama Does this mean they think she might be on the way out or did Obama just want to give it to her before he has to go?

Even though she was in a wheelchair for most of it, she still looked like she was in reasonably good health (all things considered). I think she has a couple more years left.

The photo the BBC used made her look a little confused.

The photo the BBC used made her look a little confused.

I watched it on the news, I wouldn't say she was confused, perhaps a little overwhelmed with all what was going on

Percussionist and co-founder of The Temperance Seven, Brian Innes died a couple of weeks ago aged 86.

I like this....

on his instructions, was cremated to the strains of Benny Goodman's rendition of Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

A benefit concert has been held for Wizzard saxophonist Mike Burney, who is suffering from cancer for the second time.

Burney won't be attending the Birmingham Blues Festival this year, and this benefit being held for him says he still hasn't picked up an instrument since his diagnosis. Little else in the way of updates about him out there but I still fancy him as a 2014 passer.

Officially on the clock, but his wife is going the fuck IN on his Facebook page:

wjIna2R.png

Look I know people think irrationally in times of tragedy but surely it would've been better to contact them directly?

American Idol finalist from 2008 Michael Johns dead at 35

Discussion in The Observer this morning about Beverley Martyn's (John's first wife) attempts to sell some unreleased tapes of Nick Drake. She's doing this becuase she is "in poor health" and hasn't made any serious money from the albums she did with John Martyn over 40 years ago, or her solo stuff.

Sadly as Walsall Manor is my local hospital, I can't blame them from keeping a wide berth.

Sadly as Walsall Manor is my local hospital, I can't blame them from keeping a wide berth.

Don't fancy popping in with some grapes to see how he is, do you?

Spanish singer and guitar player Peret (born Pedro Pubill Calaf) has died at age 79. He was famous for his summer-hit "Borriquito" from 1971 which hit No. 1 in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands.

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20140827/muere-peret-padre-rumba-catalana-los-anos/1000301.shtml

Borriquito: