Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Why are you asking us? You fucking live there, go do something about it.

Guest Guest

When will that vile excuse for a human being, Robert Mugabe, finally cop it?

when somebody in Zimbabwe can afford the price of a bullet I guess.. :huh:

With the elections to the European Parliament on the horizon then the fact that only 1 MEP of the original set from 1979 has made it all the way to 2014 as an MEP Bill Newton-Dunn (b. 1941) is worth noting.

Guest Guest

With the elections to the European Parliament on the horizon then the fact that only 1 MEP of the original set from 1979 has made it all the way to 2014 as an MEP Bill Newton-Dunn (b. 1941) is worth noting.

every MEP elected in 1979 is dead except one? is there some kind of curse on them or something?

every MEP elected in 1979 is dead except one? is there some kind of curse on them or something?

No, he means there's one that's still in Brussels who was first elected in 1979...I think!

No, he means there's one that's still in Brussels who was first elected in 1979...I think!

TMIB is right but I was (in a way) wrong because BND spent 5 years not being an MEP before defecting from the Conservatives to the Liberal Democrates but he is the only 1979 MEP who is still serving as an MEP. I will leave it to someone else to determine how many of them are still alive.

Unless I get really bored.

TMIB is right but I was (in a way) wrong because BND spent 5 years not being an MEP before defecting from the Conservatives to the Liberal Democrates but he is the only 1979 MEP who is still serving as an MEP. I will leave it to someone else to determine how many of them are still alive.

I give in it burned not knowing.

Of the 81 MEPs elected to UK constituencies in 1979, 26 have died but of the remaining 55 there are a small number who I cannot determine if they are alive or dead (from my preliminary search). They are:

• Richard Cottrell
  • Alfred Lomas
  • Ben Patterson
  • Andrew Pearce
  • Barry Seal (Alive I think)
  • Alexander Sherlock
  • Richard Simmonds
  • Alan Tyrrell

The oldest surviving is Leicestershire MEP Frederick Tuckman (b.1922)

Of the 81 MEPs elected to UK constituencies in 1979, 26 have died but of the remaining 55 there are a small number who I cannot determine if they are alive or dead (from my preliminary search). They are:

• Richard Cottrell
  • Alfred Lomas
  • Ben Patterson
  • Andrew Pearce
  • Alexander Sherlock
  • Richard Simmonds
  • Alan Tyrrell

I've heard of him. He wouldn't take any shit from anybody. Hence his nickname "No Shit Sherlock"!

(Actually I just googled Alexander Sherlock and found this. How hard was that?)

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/obituary-dr-alexander-sherlock-1079331.html

• Like 1

• Richard Cottrell
  • Alfred Lomas
  • Ben Patterson
  • Andrew Pearce
  • Alexander Sherlock
  • Richard Simmonds
  • Alan Tyrrell

I've heard of him. He wouldn't take any shit from anybody. Hence his nickname "No Shit Sherlock"!

(Actually I just googled Alexander Sherlock and found this. How hard was that?)

http://www.independe...ck-1079331.html

That would have been my next step but I ran out of time and if other people are willing to do the work for me I won't complain.

Heheh.. yeah. I found a couple of the others, one of them was a lecturer, can't remember what the other was but probably something similar. Both had fairly recent looking internet profiles in which they proudly list their former service as an MEP.

Heheh.. yeah. I found a couple of the others, one of them was a lecturer, can't remember what the other was but probably something similar. Both had fairly recent looking internet profiles in which they proudly list their former service as an MEP.

When I can get confirmation of breathing status and year of birth I will post the full list of Living 1979 MEPs

At last you all have something to look forward to.

• Like 1

Yes! I'm excited.

Of course just because they had recent looking profiles doesn't mean they didn't drop dead yesterday does it? No idea where you intend to get that confirmation short of calling them up on the phone, though.

Guest Guest

Former Italian dictat..PM Silvio Berlusconi has started his new job as an assistant in a care home http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-27336754 Won't be long before he's one of the patients

You're making this more difficult than you need to. Just use the MEP search and it'll tell you (all on your list bar Sherlock are alive btw)

http://www.europarl....RRELL_home.html

Yes I found that site after my last post, I also found that someone else who was on the other list was dead so it is 28 Dead and 53 Alive.

For now!

• Richard Cottrell
  • Alfred Lomas
  • Ben Patterson
  • Andrew Pearce
  • Alexander Sherlock
  • Richard Simmonds
  • Alan Tyrrell

Richard Cottrell is actually standing again this time around.

Trumpets sound, heavens open and the list of 53 surviving MEPs from the first parliament descends to the Deathlist

1. Gordon Adam (1933-
  2. Richard Balfe (1944-
  3. Neil Balfour (1944-
  4. Beata Brookes (1931-
  5. Richard Caborn (1943-
  6. Frederick Catherwood (1925-
  7. Ann Clwyd (1937-
  8. Ken Collins (1939-
  9. Richard Cottrell (1943-
  10. David Curry (1944-
  11. Ian Dalziel (1947-
  12. Marquess of Douro (Charles Wellesley) (1945-
  13. Winifred Ewing (1929-
  14. Adam Fergusson (1932-
  15. Michael Gallagher (1934-
  16. Win Griffiths (1943-
  17. David Harris (1937-
  18. Gloria Hooper (1939-
  19. William Hopper (1929-
  20. Brian Hord (1934-
  21. John Hume (1937-
  22. Alasdair Hutton (1940-
  23. Christopher Jackson (1935-
  24. Robert V. Jackson (1936-
  25. Stanley Johnson (1940-
  26. Edward Kellett-Bowman (1931-
  27. Brian Key (1947-
  28. Alfred Lomas (1928-
  29. John Marshall (1940-
  30. Robert Moreland (1941-
  31. Bill Newton Dunn (1941-
  32. Lord O'Hagan (Charles Strachey) (1945-
  33. Ian Paisley (1926-
  34. Ben Patterson (1939-
  35. Andrew Pearce (1937-
  36. Henry Plumb (1925-
  37. Peter Price (1942-
  38. James Provan (1936-
  39. John Purvis (1938-
  40. Joyce Quin (1944-
  41. Allan Rogers (1932-
  42. Barry Seal (1937-
  43. Richard Simmonds (1944-
  44. Anthony Simpson (1935
  45. Tom Spencer (1948-
  46. James Spicer (1925-
  47. Jack Stewart-Clark (1929-
  48. John Taylor (1937-
  49. John Taylor (1941-
  50. Frederick Tuckman (1922-
  51. Amedee Turner (1929-
  52. Alan Tyrrell (1933-
  53. Michael Welsh (1942-

Some of these went on to have ministerial careers such as Richard Caborn and other are already on the radar like Ian Paisley but assembling a DDP team from this lot would be a leap of faith as many will be tocuh and go for an Obit. However if you have spies in the local press then this could be a good source of information.

The 1979 elections were held on the First past the post principal with constituencys being roughly approximated to counties it is only in later elections that we get the regional approach and a move to the D'Hondt system.

• Like 1

Bizarre:

North Carolina Democrat Keith Crisco dies after a fall at home, aged 71 - just days after an extremely tight primary election battle against former American Idol winner Clay Aiken, in which it seems the votes are still being counted.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/05/12/clay-aiken-primary-opponent-keith-crisco-found-dead/

Bizarre:

North Carolina Democrat Keith Crisco dies after a fall at home, aged 71 - just days after an extremely tight primary election battle against former American Idol winner Clay Aiken, in which it seems the votes are still being counted.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/05/12/clay-aiken-primary-opponent-keith-crisco-found-dead/

ruben%20and%20clay.jpg