Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

Although Roger Bannister didn't win a medal (he came 4th in 1952) I didn't know where to post this but Roger was on Midweek (Radio 4) this morning.

I don't know where to post this either but...me and the young 'un were greatly enjoying the site of all the pantomime costumes and the like in the London Marathon the other day and speculated about how fast the elite runners would go dressed in the same manner. This soon morphed into a genius idea (tv gold for sure) involving all the elite runners togging up in such costumes and only unveiling themselves once they'd crossed the line, so the public would cheer on a furry dice, a chicken or a large tomato never knowing until these crossed the line which one was Mo Farah.

Is it just me and the young 'un, or is that a riveting spectacle?

I can imagine ITV going for it. No wait, even Channel 4. I mean, they went with "The Jump" after all..

Don't they have a race for all the official football mascots? Sounds similar.

Although Roger Bannister didn't win a medal (he came 4th in 1952) I didn't know where to post this but Roger was on Midweek (Radio 4) this morning.

Just saw him on TV, looks fairly okay.

Just saw him on TV, looks fairly okay.

He's on my DDP team - he's got years left in him.
  • Like 1

He seemed verbally somewhat slow but mentally he was still mostly there I think. Reminded be a bit of Roger Moore on his most recent hosting appearance on HIGNFY a little while back, dunno if anyone remembers that.

Don't they have a race for all the official football mascots? Sounds similar.

Yeah, but we're talking Mo Farah inside a mascot suit.

I don't know where to post this either but...me and the young 'un were greatly enjoying the site of all the pantomime costumes and the like in the London Marathon the other day and speculated about how fast the elite runners would go dressed in the same manner. This soon morphed into a genius idea (tv gold for sure) involving all the elite runners togging up in such costumes and only unveiling themselves once they'd crossed the line, so the public would cheer on a furry dice, a chicken or a large tomato never knowing until these crossed the line which one was Mo Farah.

Is it just me and the young 'un, or is that a riveting spectacle?

Surely you are old enough to remember Its a Knockout.

And look how that ended up.

• Like 2

"oldest-ever" Olympian dies. Walter Walsh was six days away from his 107th birthday when he died Tuesday. He competed in the 50m free pistol event (finishing 12th) at the 1948 London Olympics.

Guest Guest

Olympic sprinter Frank Budd who was once considred to be the worlds fatest human has died at 74

Guest Guest

Sorry, that should of course say 'fastest' not 'fatest' . Must learn to type more slowly :unsure:

It's a real shame that, if you are all over the place, you are still here posting shite!

• Like 3

Valentin Mankin Winner of Gold Medals for sailing in 1968,72 and 80 for USSR is dead at 75 from cancer.

U.S. gold medalist swimmer Amy Van Dyken has severed her spinal cord in a quad bike accident

Alice Coachman Dead at 90

Became the 1st black woman to win an Olympic Gold Medal when she won the high jump in 1948

Alice Coachman Dead at 90

Became the 1st black woman to win an Olympic Gold Medal when she won the high jump in 1948

Very shocked that this is not being given more prominence on the BBC you have to drill down into the World sections.

Important sporting milestone.

Poor show BBC.

Dorothy Tyler, who as Dorothy Odam, was the first British woman to win an Olympic medal, has died aged 94.

Mbulaeni Mulaudzi, silver medalist for South Africa in the 800m at Athens, and former World and Commonwealth champion, killed in a car accident, aged 34.