Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

in the 24 Hours of Daytona. Both drivers taken to hospital. Fingers crossed they are OK

Driver, Memo Gidley, has a broken back as a result of the crash. Has since had leg and arm surgery, soon to have back surgery. Yikes

• Like 1

Ouch. Malucelli definitely got that memo!

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/american-road-racer-tommy-aquino-killed-in-crash-at-motocross-track/

Tommy Aquino, aged 21 - American motorcycle rider, most recently rising through the ranks in the National Superstock 1000 class in the British Superbike Championship - killed in a motocross accident.

Tony Crook of Bristol Cars fame has died aged 93.

He's been mentioned in this forum but as far as I can tell no-one has selected him this year.

Buttons former manager David Robertson gone now at 70, not a great 2014 so far for him.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112436

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Ernie_Lyons

Irish motorcycle racer, who won the Manx Grand Prix in 1946, dies less than a month before his 100th birthday.

:D died in a town called ''Kill''....................

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2560059/Second-driver-hit-Formula-1-film-Rush-killed-car-crash-Stunt-doubles-body-discovered-canal.html

Mauro Pane, stunt double for Daniel Bruhl who played Niki Lauda in Rush, has been killed in a car accident. It's the second car-crash death related to this film in the last few months, following the death of Sean Edwards, who played his own father Guy in the film.

And crashed into a canal.

The "Rush" film was produced through the StudioCanal company...

Doo, doo, DOO, doo - Doo, doo, DOO, doo...

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call The Twilight Zone.

SPACE - another link, Ron Howard also produced Apollo 13.

F1 cars almost never carry the number 13 because it is so unlucky...

Until just this year few drivers have used it. However Pastor Maldonado has chosen it as his race number for whatever reason.

Oh, and thinking about it now I'm sure the bonus disk of the film (made in 2013) had a clip of Michael Schumacher in it...

• Like 1

Murray Walker was on Desert Island Discs on Sunday and he still sounds great.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03xzx62

Perhaps his taste in music is a little suspect....... but give him a break, he was born in 1923 for fuck's sake!

Guest Hans

My grandmama was born the same year as Murray and would have never resorted to listening to Fleetwood Mac.

My grandmama was born the same year as Murray and would have never resorted to listening to Fleetwood Mac.

Your grandmother was born in 1987?

Guest J Doobie

Just saw on BBC's page a few hours ago Schumacher is conscious again. Could be a wishful thinking but it looks like he aint done living just yet.

Utterly terrible news - I met the boy a few times and he was a very nice lad, remembered his racing roots when it was a struggle.

Something like this has been brewing, but to take the reigning Indy 500 champion is a huge shock.

RIP Dan.

*note to MPFC* - I know you're a fan of ill family members - Dan Wheldon's mum has early-onset dementia so may be one to consider. I think she's still in her 50's.

Just to tie this up. It was announced that DW's mum lost her battle yesterday.

This is an interesting article which suggests that the minimum weight restriction for drivers is too low and may be putting the driver's health at risk

Yes. Apparently this has been a problem for a few years now but it's being really talked about now because it has become markedly worse this year - the huge car design rule changes they've had this season means the limit has become even more taxing, especially for taller drivers like Jenson Button.

It's just another of one of the gazillion things in the utterly fucking loony tunes world of contemporary F1 where a normal person would say "surely this is ridiculous and should be changed", but if you asked a random person in the sport, whether they be a team principal or just one of the grunts who change the wheels during pit-stops, they'll mutter some rubbish about how it's just another thing that makes the sport so brilliantly elite and epic and genius, etc, - seemingly completely oblivious from the fact that it's supposed to be a driving contest and not a fasting contest...

Yeah, lardsteres like Nigel Mansell (who was the heaviest driver on the grid the year he stormed the championship) wouldn't get a sniff now.

Asking drivers to be in shape isn't ridiculous, is it. Asking them to emaciate themselves is. And basically making it impossible for anyone who is over 5 ft 7 to win anything...

Asking drivers to be in shape isn't ridiculous, is it. Asking them to emaciate themselves is. And basically making it impossible for anyone who is over 5 ft 7 to win anything...

Maybe that's their plan , and they want racing car drivers to go down the same road as jockeys .

Lewis has lost 6kg over the winter period just to be as competitive as is possible. Until now, I had not herd which of the drivers was said to have fainted at a sponsors event some time soon after the Australian GP. Speculation was that it was one from a minor team. Jean Eric Verne is a good driver but it shows just how far some are going to to get any slight edge, because of the need to be mindful of the such full on training and careful diet needed.

In other regards, it does make it favourable to have fit strong female driver because of these weight discrepancies. So in one respect I think the rules are not so onerous as some make out.

It's funny that. I was watching the GP with my brothers the other and we were commenting on how thin all the drivers looked...

Lewis has lost 6kg over the winter period just to be as competitive as is possible. Until now, I had not herd which of the drivers was said to have fainted at a sponsors event some time soon after the Australian GP. Speculation was that it was one from a minor team. Jean Eric Verne is a good driver but it shows just how far some are going to to get any slight edge, because of the need to be mindful of the such full on training and careful diet needed.

In other regards, it does make it favourable to have fit strong female driver because of these weight discrepancies. So in one respect I think the rules are not so onerous as some make out.

That's a fair point, if the current rules made it fairer for female drivers, that'd be sponsorship gold.

Not an easy thing to fix. Remove the driver from the total minimum weight and you still have an advantage if you are a short arse like me.

On the other hand porkers like me are out !

I think it was more interesting when there was a "turn over" of new driver when the rules were less safety conscious.

Just my 2d worth.

• Like 1